Author Topic: Mellor/Dransfield confusion  (Read 11987 times)

Offline MAE

• I am sorry but my emails are not working
  • RootsChat Extra
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
Re: Mellor/Dransfield confusion
« Reply #27 on: Wednesday 09 March 05 17:29 GMT (UK) »
Dear Kathy , I am doing research on the mellor family as well. they came from broadbottom,mottram and later lived around Hyde and manchester area. There were other Mellors in the hyde area that were not related to the mellors I,m looking for. Maybe some of those were your people. The Mellors I know of were married to Pinder,Hey,Chadwick,Arstall,Borrett. I haven,t come across a Dransfield. Mae

Offline KathyM

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Wednesday 09 March 05 17:40 GMT (UK) »
Firstly - I have checked the 1851 census and can't find Mary Ellen Kaye in the same part of Almondbury as trhe Mellors and Dransfields...although there are lots of Kaye families....

The Mellor family I have been working on are from Earlsheaton.Dewsbury/ Ossett area.

Although there is a marriage between Samuel Mellor and Catherine HEY in 1876....in Dewsbury Parish Church.....
~~~~~~~~

Census transcriptions Crown Copyright, www.NationalArchives.gov.uk

Ardill,  Bourke/Burke, Bellwood, Bridge, Cain, Church, Cragg,  Dennell, Dunning, Gough, Haslam, Holmes, Jessop, Kidson/Kitson, Knowles, Markwick, Martin, Munden, Nickerson, Robinson,  Seddon, Whittle, Varley & Walpole.

Areas: Yorkshire, Lancashire, Norfolk, Marylebone & Tipperary

Offline alllegs

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Wednesday 09 March 05 18:15 GMT (UK) »
Thank you once again Kathy,

I did try lookin gon IGI for Mary Ellen and Walter's marriage but couldn't find it. 

I think I've found Mary Ellen's christening - IGI only has 1 May Ellen, christened about 14th June 1835 in Almondbury.  Unfortunatly there is no father but the mother is called Sarah Kaye.  Why do none of my ancestors have fathers???!!!!  This is the 2nd one with a missing father in as many days!

Thank you again Kathy   :-*

Love
Legs
xxxxx
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
DUR-Bainbridge,Hodgson,Richardson,Walker,Thompson,Armory,Wynn,Humble,Dunn,Chapman,Herin
YKS-Bradley,Hellawell,Dransfield,Sanderson,Gledhill,Mallinson,Tyas,Thornton,Nobel,Brook,Senior,Bower,Kay,Hirst,Smith,Lockwood, Clayton,Rollinson,Swallow
NTHNTS-Hubbard,Line,Goate,Tyler,Weed,Warren,Brown,Hollowell,Bird,Kirby,Dolby,Gilbert,Wootton
NFK-Burton,Myhill,Fisher,Thompson
LNRK-Neilson,Dudson,Forrest,McNight,Paterson
WL-Williams

Paul E

« Reply #30 on: Wednesday 09 March 05 18:36 GMT (UK) »
Hi Alllegs

The IGI has got a marriage of Sarah Kaye to Joseph Swift, Almondbury 14 February  :-* 1830, if that's any good.

cheers

Paul

Offline alllegs

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Wednesday 09 March 05 18:59 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Paul,

I've just been IGI-ing too.  I assumed Kaye was Sarah's married name so have searched for every Kaye in Almondbury who married a Sarah.......here's what I found:

Jonahthan Kaye married Sarah Moorehouse on 5/5/1828
John Kaye married Sarah Beaumont on 24/7/1831
John Kaye married Sarah Pogson on 5/3/1832
Joseph Kaye married Sarah Ann Bingley on 24/1/1830
Joseph Kaye married Sarah Hinchliffe on 25/1/1833
William Kaye married Sarah Hirst on 21/6/1829
William Kaye married Sarah Swift on 13/9/1829.

I only searched from 1829-1835 (I think!)

Not quite sure why I did that though as it gets me no further but what the hell.....!

Maybe Sarah wasn't married hence the lack of father (and her birth name was Kaye??!) or maybe her husband just died (not quiet as exciting!)

Thanks again

Legs
xxxxx
DUR-Bainbridge,Hodgson,Richardson,Walker,Thompson,Armory,Wynn,Humble,Dunn,Chapman,Herin
YKS-Bradley,Hellawell,Dransfield,Sanderson,Gledhill,Mallinson,Tyas,Thornton,Nobel,Brook,Senior,Bower,Kay,Hirst,Smith,Lockwood, Clayton,Rollinson,Swallow
NTHNTS-Hubbard,Line,Goate,Tyler,Weed,Warren,Brown,Hollowell,Bird,Kirby,Dolby,Gilbert,Wootton
WL-Williams

Paul E

« Reply #32 on: Wednesday 09 March 05 19:33 GMT (UK) »
I wonder if the William Kaye and Sarah Swift were brothers and sisters of Sarah Kaye and Joseph Swift? :)

Paul

Offline alllegs

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Wednesday 09 March 05 19:46 GMT (UK) »
yes, I wondered that too.......I'll leave you to work on that one Paul!!!  ;)   
WL-Williams

Offline KathyM

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Thursday 10 March 05 13:40 GMT (UK) »
This is exciting !!!

This morning at the WYAS - I discovered that they have the fiche for Almondbury Parish records.....

So (YES! I know I'm wonderful!) I did a quick look up for you - here is Mary Ellen's baptism entry :

June 14th 1835  (no date of birth given)

Mary Ellen  dau of  Sarah   Kaye   spinster  of Doroyd 

Also came across :

March 30th 1835
Sidney  son of  William & Sarah DRANSFIELD  Labourer  New Laith Hill

So then I thought I'd have a look through the mariages to se if Sarah Kaye married shortly afterwards......with little success

1)
Dec 17th 1838
Frederick WOOD  22  bachelor  Farmer  of Almondbury F: Joseph Wood Farmer

Sarah Ann KAYE  20 spinster    of Farnley Tyas - bank   F:      (blank)

witnesses - Samuel North & Joshua Noble

THIS ONE _ I DON'T THINK IS HER.....SHE SIGNS SARAH ANN...

2)
August 11th 1839
Jabez HEATON   21  bachelor   clothier  Linthwaite F: Robert Heaton  Clothier
Sarah KAYE       19   spinster               Linthwaite F: Jeremiah KAYE  shoemaker

both signed X
witnesses :  Joshua Noble & Thomas Heaton

[This would make her 15 when she had the baby !   But maybe they had to wait until Jabez was 21 before they were allowed to marry ]??  It may be something else to look out for on the census....

Another marriage which you might find interesting :

July 19th 1838

William IREDALE  37  batchelor  Clothier  Linthwaite  F: Thomas Iredale  Clothier
Sophia DRANSFIELD  34  spinster            Linthwaite  F: George DRANSFIELD
                                                                                    Blanket Manufacturer
Sophia signed X
witnesses - Isaac Exley & Thomas Heaton

If there is anything else you would like looking up - preferably with the date !! - let me know - I am gpoing again in about 2 weeks time.

Kathy
~~~~~~~~

Census transcriptions Crown Copyright, www.NationalArchives.gov.uk

Ardill,  Bourke/Burke, Bellwood, Bridge, Cain, Church, Cragg,  Dennell, Dunning, Gough, Haslam, Holmes, Jessop, Kidson/Kitson, Knowles, Markwick, Martin, Munden, Nickerson, Robinson,  Seddon, Whittle, Varley & Walpole.

Areas: Yorkshire, Lancashire, Norfolk, Marylebone & Tipperary

Offline alllegs

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Thursday 10 March 05 15:12 GMT (UK) »
Yep you said it Kathy, you are wonderful!

So Sarah Kaye wasn't married when she had Mary Ellen, how interesting.  That the 1st bit of proper scandal I've come across so far - I like scandal!!

I guess Kaye was Sarah's maiden name then.
At least I can try looking for Sarah's parents now, and know she was from Doroyd (wherever that is??!! Sounds like an alien planet!!!).  I've just looked in my map and can't find Doroyd anywhere.  The Sarah who later married Jabez was born in Slaithwaite and her mother was Ann.

I also noticed that both marriages had Joshua Noble as witnesses - what a coincidence??!

I'm not quiet sure what to do next in regard to locating Mary Ellen's father.  I've sort of put this line on the back burner for a little while whilst I track down my great gran who got married in 1923, but hasn't been born or died yet!!!  Interesting!

I've just looked up both those marriages on IGI and found that the Frederick Wood and Sarak Kaye one had a child in 1839 called Mary Ellen Wood, either they changed her year of birth and surname or its the completely wrong family??!!  What do you think??!

Thank you again Kathy, I owe you big time!  I'll let you know if I have any brain waves (not very likely though!) about what I plan to do next.

Catch you later
Legs
xxxxx

WL-Williams