Author Topic: Mellor/Dransfield confusion  (Read 11978 times)

Offline KathyM

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Mellor/Dransfield confusion
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 24 February 05 15:12 GMT (UK) »
By the way - I have done a bit of research on Mellors (but not this area...) there are loads of them.....it would be interesting to find some-one who was descended from 'King Lud' ...... I think he was from Marsden.
~~~~~~~~

Census transcriptions Crown Copyright, www.NationalArchives.gov.uk

Ardill,  Bourke/Burke, Bellwood, Bridge, Cain, Church, Cragg,  Dennell, Dunning, Gough, Haslam, Holmes, Jessop, Kidson/Kitson, Knowles, Markwick, Martin, Munden, Nickerson, Robinson,  Seddon, Whittle, Varley & Walpole.

Areas: Yorkshire, Lancashire, Norfolk, Marylebone & Tipperary

Offline alllegs

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 24 February 05 15:36 GMT (UK) »
Kathy, you're absolute star but please don't get too stressed on my behalf!! ;)

Its funny you should mention Marsden - half of my family lived (and still live) there, but they are from the other side of the tree!!

Now the Mellor/Dransfield children's surnames problem had been clarified I am now not related to the Mellors, only the Dransfields (I think I need to lie down in a darkened room too!)

I now just need to tie up all the loose ends (of which I seem to have millions!) and I am still no closer to finding Mary Ellen's 1st husband (my great great great granddad).

Whilst I'm here, if you're not all too fed up of chasing Mellor's and Dransfield's I would really appreciate some one checking out George Dransfield and family.  He was born in 1864 in Almondbury, I thought he married Amelia, but cannot find their marriage on FreeBMD.  They had 3 children, George (b 1886), Minnie (b 1889) and Edna (my great gran) (b 1892).

Thank you all again

Love
Legs
xxxx

P.S if any of you have roots in Sussex, I'm only a stones throw away from the Chichester and Lewes GRO's if you require any info from them I can return the favour and check them out for you.
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
DUR-Bainbridge,Hodgson,Richardson,Walker,Thompson,Armory,Wynn,Humble,Dunn,Chapman,Herin
YKS-Bradley,Hellawell,Dransfield,Sanderson,Gledhill,Mallinson,Tyas,Thornton,Nobel,Brook,Senior,Bower,Kay,Hirst,Smith,Lockwood, Clayton,Rollinson,Swallow
NTHNTS-Hubbard,Line,Goate,Tyler,Weed,Warren,Brown,Hollowell,Bird,Kirby,Dolby,Gilbert,Wootton
NFK-Burton,Myhill,Fisher,Thompson
LNRK-Neilson,Dudson,Forrest,McNight,Paterson
WL-Williams

Offline alllegs

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 24 February 05 15:56 GMT (UK) »
Ok, here goes again......

I have found 3 possible husbands for Mary Ellen (Lucky lady!) on FreeBMD and would appreciate views on these possibilities.  Obviously I am stabbing in the dark here as there are more marriages on the page than just the one I am looking for...anyway....

Brook Dransfield married Mary Barker June 1/4 1868.  I cannot find a death record for Brook though and it seems to be just Mary not Mary Ellen.

James Dransfield married Mary Jepson September 1/4 1867.  Same again here as I cannot find a death record for James and the women is Mary not Mary Ellen.

Robert Dransfield married Mary Ellen Haigh December 1/4 1870.  My only problems here are Mary would have had at least 2 children before she was married, I know its not unusual to have 1 child before marriage but I've never heard of 2 children being born before marriage.....and I cannot find Robert's death either.

What do you think?? ???

Thanks yet again  :)

Legs
xxxxx

DUR-Bainbridge,Hodgson,Richardson,Walker,Thompson,Armory,Wynn,Humble,Dunn,Chapman,Herin
YKS-Bradley,Hellawell,Dransfield,Sanderson,Gledhill,Mallinson,Tyas,Thornton,Nobel,Brook,Senior,Bower,Kay,Hirst,Smith,Lockwood, Clayton,Rollinson,Swallow
NTHNTS-Hubbard,Line,Goate,Tyler,Weed,Warren,Brown,Hollowell,Bird,Kirby,Dolby,Gilbert,Wootton
WL-Williams

Offline KathyM

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 24 February 05 16:37 GMT (UK) »
I still think it was one of George's sons......as Beorge was named after his grandfather !

There are very few marriages transcribed in the few years before 1863 on freebmd......if you look on the graphs.....but the following years are GREAT!

Anway.....Sarah was 1 year old in 1871......so I assume Mary E was only recently widowed.....

There is a death for a Walter Dransfield aged 39 ....which would fit !
 at Huddersfield in Sept. q 1870   9a 221

anyone fancy a little wager ??????
~~~~~~~~

Ardill,  Bourke/Burke, Bellwood, Bridge, Cain, Church, Cragg,  Dennell, Dunning, Gough, Haslam, Holmes, Jessop, Kidson/Kitson, Knowles, Markwick, Martin, Munden, Nickerson, Robinson,  Seddon, Whittle, Varley & Walpole.

Offline alllegs

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 24 February 05 16:46 GMT (UK) »
Never mind a wager - I need a Double Vodka!!

I am soooooooo confused (nothing new!!) I've completely lost the plot and have no idea who belongs to who etc etc, I'm starting to think that you know my family roots better than I do Kathy!  Oh well I think I need a big piece of paper and need to draw out what you have all told me to try and piece everything together before I confuse myself more.  Why can't may family be more straight forward??!  Is your tree this baffelling?  Also, Mary Ellen had another child...Charles Edward Dransfield in 1876 so I'm guessing her 1st husband is his father........then again who knows! But if she was widowed by they time the 1871 census was taken then I really am confused

Thank again

Legs
xxxxx

P.S I have also found...
Joseph Dransfield b 1776 married Ann Ainley b 1780 on 3/12/1801 in Almondbury.  Thay had 7 children:-
Mark b 5-5-1802 (married Betty b 1812 and had Ann (1833) Tom (1837) and Luke (1846))
Martha b 24-3-1804
Robert ch 27-4-1808
Joseph ch 13-2-1810 (married Ellen and had Ann, Martha, Elizabeth, Eliza, William, Joe and Ellen)
Ann ch 9-1-1812
Mary ch 26-9-1814 and
Thomas ch 11-6-1821

Also:-

George Dransfield (b 1790) married Mary Beaumont (b 1794) Not sure when they married though.  They had...
Henry ch 26-2-1816
Nanny ch 3-4-1820 and
Thomas ch 3-3-1822.

Could there be a connection between Ann Ainley and the Mary Ainley who was housekeeper for Thomas Dransfield in the 1871?  Also the Betty living with Thomas in 1871 was Mark's wife (I assume)

Where does that leave me now??  More confused than ever me thinks!

If anyone can iron out that lot I would love you forever.

Thanks soooooo much
Legs
xxxxx
WL-Williams

Offline KathyM

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 24 February 05 16:58 GMT (UK) »
I doubt it - if she was a widow in 1871 !

She was still Dransfield though - so would have reg. him in her name....

I think you prob. need to get your gggrandfather's birth cert. to double check her maiden name....or if you can't find his - one of his siblings !

Just to confuse you further......yeeeeeeeeeeek  :D

If it does turn out that your George's grandparents are -

George and Mary DRANSFIELD from Ash Houses in 1851

then you will find their marriage on the LDSfreesearch website

George Dransfield and Mary BEAUMONT  married 19th September 1814 at Almondbury

son Walter (who I THINK will turn out to be your GGhowevermany grandpa) was christened 15th October 1832 (CO17126)

The Batch Nos CO17122/3/4/5/6 will give you the Almondbury christenings from about 1609.......... ;D ;D ;D

Change to MO17126/7  and lots and lots of happy couples  ???

See you in about a month ???
~~~~~~~~

Offline alllegs

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 24 February 05 17:02 GMT (UK) »
ARRRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

I have no more to say right now, i'm having a mental breakdown.

Legs
xxxx
WL-Williams

Offline alllegs

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 24 February 05 17:13 GMT (UK) »
Kathy,

I can't find the record on FreeBMD for George's birth (ARGH)

What do I do now??  I'm a student so I can't really afford to buy the certificate anyway (although if I could find it I would stay in all weekend and use my alcohol money to buy the cert instead- thats how desperate I'm getting!!)

Ho hum

Thanks millions

Legs.
xxxxx
WL-Williams

Offline alllegs

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Thursday 24 February 05 19:53 GMT (UK) »
Right, here I go again trying to unravel the mystery of the Dransfields......

Kathy, I have searched everywhere for George's birth record but cannot find it anywhere.

I have also searched everywhere for a marriage between Walter Dransfield and Mary Ellen, but no luck there either.

Does that mean that Walter isn't my missing link or does it mean I've just been looking in the wrong places??  Or am I completley mad (I'm going with the latter at present!)

I did find a marriage between Mary Ellen Haigh and Robert Dransfield in 1870, although this is after the birth of at least 2 of Mary Ellen's children I guess it is still feasible...? 
In which case Robert's parents are Joseph Dransfield (b c1776) and Ann Ainley (b c1780).  They married on 31/12/1801.  This could make Joseph and George (Walter's father) brothers according to their years of birth....couldn't it?

Sorry to bother you once again, if I can do anything to assist your research please don't hesitate to contact me!

Thank you sooooo much

Legs
xxxx
WL-Williams