Author Topic: RAF Bomber Crew 1945  (Read 6806 times)

Offline joboy

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: RAF Bomber Crew 1945
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 31 May 09 04:11 BST (UK) »
Thank you John for posting the photo and to all the subsequent respondents.
It saddens me greatly to be reminded,when I look at all those fresh young faces,of what we owe to that generation of young men and the enormous responsibilities thrust upon them.
I am 82 now and had a very dear and slightly older friend who was a rear gunner on a 'Lanc' which was shot down over Friedrichshafen on 27th April 1944 and he was killed along with his crew.
The Lancaster was funded by the people of Marples,Cheshire along with 4 Spitfires and 4 Hurricanes as their effort in the 'Wings for Victory' campaign.
The interesting story along with the story of this Lancaster bomber can be viewed here if you scroll half way down the page.
http://www.marple-uk.com/lancaster.htm
Joe
Gill UK and Australia
Bell UK and Australia
Harding(e) Australia
Finch UK and Australia

My memory's not as sharp as it used to be.
Also, my memory's not as sharp as it used to be.

Offline terry h

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • With Mum x
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 31 May 09 09:59 BST (UK) »
Hi Moroc

We did a good job :o :o :D :D

Joboy,

Don't remember the war but it saddens me too, I always wonder
when restoring one of these photos if the boys came home. My own gg grandfather was KIA in WW1 and left a wife and 3 young daughters, such a waste :(

Terry
g grandfather Thomas Borthwick 11/11/1882 - KIA 25/9/1915 aged 33 Kings Own Scottish Borderers

Brothers & cousins to Thomas (Both KIA same day)
Robert Johnstone Borthwick 1898 - KIA 24/3/1918 aged 21 North Staffordshire Regiment

George Lowden Borthwick 1899 - KIA 24/3/1918 aged 19 Royal Scots Fusiliers

gr Uncle Walter Combe b1893 - KIA 12/7/1915 aged 22  Kings Own Scottish Borderers

Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright  GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Offline Uncle Reff

• RootsChat Veteran
  • It's Déjà vu, all over again...
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 31 May 09 11:53 BST (UK) »
Thank you all very much - very impressive!

I always wonder when restoring one of these photos if the boys came home.

I have had the honour to have spoken to three of the guys in the photograph, although one of them sadly died last year. As far as I know they all got though the war in more or less one piece, unlike my uncle who died a few days before this was taken.

Thanks once again - John
Researching: Reffell, Rattle, Summerhayes, Dane, Masset, Burchatt & Leshley... & Jones!

Offline Rabbit B

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • 1937 - 2012
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 31 May 09 12:28 BST (UK) »
Thank you all very much - very impressive!

I always wonder when restoring one of these photos if the boys came home.

I have had the honour to have spoken to three of the guys in the photograph, although one of them sadly died last year. As far as I know they all got though the war in more or less one piece, unlike my uncle who died a few days before this was taken.

Thanks once again - John

Hi John,

Thanks for having told us that, they were all very brave men.

I once flew in an old aircraft, but thankfully it was a short flight, no fancy cabin, just seats and no pressure, because we were not high enough!

The thought of going on a long trip, like that for several hours, doesn’t bear thinking about, and that is before you are shot at!

Rabbit B  ;D

Conning/London
Wareham/Winchester
Hart/Cambridgeshire
Burns/Byrne/Liverpool and Ireland
Nibbs/London
Brealey/Staffordshire
Melbourn/Melbourne/Cambridgeshire
Hoyle/Liverpool
Relf/Sussex

Offline Uncle Reff

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 31 May 09 18:40 BST (UK) »
I have been very touched by the comments expressed by everyone below, it is pleasing that many of us still remember & appreciate how these young men returned to danger night after night with only a slim chance of making it through.

Incredibly after the war was won, their part in that achievement was tainted by the recriminations of those that had led them. No recognition was ever given for their sacrifice. They did not question their orders, it was not a pleasant job but they did what they had to do to . country from tyranny.

If you would like to find out a little more about my uncle who was one of those brave men, then kindly go to- http://www.reffell.org.uk/heroes/georgealfreddane.php

John
Researching: Reffell, Rattle, Summerhayes, Dane, Masset, Burchatt & Leshley... & Jones!

Offline Rabbit B

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • 1937 - 2012
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 31 May 09 22:45 BST (UK) »
I have been very touched by the comments expressed by everyone below, it is pleasing that many of us still remember & appreciate how these young men returned to danger night after night with only a slim chance of making it through.

Incredibly after the war was won, their part in that achievement was tainted by the recriminations of those that had led them. No recognition was ever given for their sacrifice. They did not question their orders, it was not a pleasant job but they did what they had to do to . country from tyranny.

If you would like to find out a little more about my uncle who was one of those brave men, then kindly go to- http://www.reffell.org.uk/heroes/georgealfreddane.php

John

Hi John,

Thank you for sharing that with us.  My Dad was also in Canada for 4 years, but he came back safely.  Many chaps who served with him were killed sadly.  War is a terrible thing!

Rabbit B  ;D
Conning/London
Wareham/Winchester
Hart/Cambridgeshire
Burns/Byrne/Liverpool and Ireland
Nibbs/London
Brealey/Staffordshire
Melbourn/Melbourne/Cambridgeshire
Hoyle/Liverpool
Relf/Sussex

Offline dobfarm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Scarcliffe village Derbyshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 31 May 09 23:07 BST (UK) »
Hi

'The little king' looks like had seen a few scraps in the war. My father used to work for Guy Gibson's father inlaw as a gardener before the WW2 and have herd  many tails! This photo has brought back many memories.
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Any transcription of information does not identify or prove anything.
Intended as a Guide only in ancestry research.-It is up to the reader as to any Judgment of assessments of information given! to check from original sources.

In my opinion the marriage residence is not always the place of birth. Never forget Workhouse and overseers accounts records of birth

Offline WelwynGC1

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 08 June 09 12:35 BST (UK) »
Just to echo what many have said already.......fabulous photo.......l have some great stuff concerning my Uncle who was a rear gunner on Lancs and was lost on ops to Berlin in Sept. 1943.......
........the one thing l dont have is a photo of him with his crew....so......

Thanks for posting it.........brings a lump to the throat.

Steve.
Hayton 1800-Present Day

Maynard, Jones-Hertford

Chance- Jarrow/Hebburn/South Shields 1800-Present Day

HONOUR THE BRAVE BOMBER BOYS-NEVER FORGET

Offline Uncle Reff

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Monday 08 June 09 13:32 BST (UK) »

........the one thing l dont have is a photo of him with his crew....so......

You never know Steve, for years i tried to find any photograph about RAF Methwold (where my uncle was based) let alone any actual photographs of the crew...

It was only through a website that seems to have now disappeared called ex-raf.co.uk that, through a marvellous piece of good fortune I managed to make contact with the son of one of the men in the photograph...

Thank you for your comments as well, it shows that these men are not forgotten.

John