Author Topic: 1851 or 1861 census index lookup please  (Read 507 times)

Offline jb1807

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
1851 or 1861 census index lookup please
« on: Wednesday 23 February 05 19:50 GMT (UK) »
Hi

i was wondering if anybody has access to the cheshire surname indexes for either 1861 or 1851.
I have a John Mayers born in high legh abt 1837, his fathers name is william mayers a labourer.  I cannot find his birth in the st catherines house index so my next move is to try and locate him in an earlier census than 1871.
Hoping someone can help point me in the right direction with this one....is there any parish registers for this area that have been transcribed?

regards
Jennifer

Offline peterbennett

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Samuel if ever an Ag Lab looked like one it was he
    • View Profile
Re: 1851 or 1861 census index lookup please
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 26 February 05 14:35 GMT (UK) »
Hi
    I have your family in 1841 and John on his own 1851,his family do not seem to be in High Leigh so I will look farther afield. do you know where and when John married ?

1841 HO-107-94-5 Page 14  High Leigh

William Mayers 35 ag/lab  born in county
Ann                  40
Ellin                  12
Ann                  11
William              8
James ?            6
John                 2

1851 HO107-2163-F 263   Hulse Heath Mere Cheshire

John Maires  12  farm labourer    born High Leigh

employed by John Earles and family farmers

hope this helps

peterbennett
All census look up transcriptions are Crown Copyright<br />www.NationalArchives.gov.uk <br />Cheshire BMD  www.cheshirebmd.org.uk/ <br />Cheshire Wills database http://www.cheshire.gov.uk/recordoffice/wills/Search.htm<br />Cheshire family history society  www.fhsc.org.uk/<br />Cheshire Records Office http://www.cheshire.gov.uk/Recordoffice/aboutus/recoffcontact.tm<br /><br />--------------------------------------------------------------------<br />Bennett/,Whaley,Chesh/Lancs, Brindley Staffs

Offline jb1807

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 26 February 05 21:30 GMT (UK) »
Hi Peter,
thank you so very much for the information....you dont know how long i have been in search of this family to enable me to get the certificates i need.
John Mayers was married across the border in the parish of prescot,cronton/farnworth on 14th october 1860. He said he was living in cronton, but i never found any evidence of this.
The brother James is in widnes in 1871, so it may be possible that the whole family moved up into lancashire by 1861.
One thing more if i may ask is if you know what registration district HIGH LEGH is actually in...i cannot figure it out...too many conflicting references...is it KNUTSFORD,MACCLESFIELD or ALTRINCHAM as this may help in the search of certificates.
Thanks so much again
regards
Jennifer

Offline peterbennett

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Samuel if ever an Ag Lab looked like one it was he
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 27 February 05 12:56 GMT (UK) »
Hi Jennifer
                 The registration district would be Altringham, I did look around the birth indexes but could not locate him, there again there seems to be them many variations in the way his name is spelt it not easy.
                 As you say the family seems to have moved from the area by 1851,proberbly to Lancs.

peterbennett

All census look up transcriptions are Crown Copyright<br />www.NationalArchives.gov.uk <br />Cheshire BMD  www.cheshirebmd.org.uk/ <br />Cheshire Wills database http://www.cheshire.gov.uk/recordoffice/wills/Search.htm<br />Cheshire family history society  www.fhsc.org.uk/<br />Cheshire Records Office http://www.cheshire.gov.uk/Recordoffice/aboutus/recoffcontact.tm<br /><br />--------------------------------------------------------------------<br />Bennett/,Whaley,Chesh/Lancs, Brindley Staffs