Author Topic: Bradmore wolverhampton, Gunmakers and Church Road  (Read 96057 times)

Offline grem yn y rhondda

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Bradmore wolverhampton, Gunmakers and Church Road
« Reply #126 on: Sunday 23 January 11 23:17 GMT (UK) »
Enjoyed reading through all posts last night and was fascinated.  Brought a lot back.  Lived in Bradmore in 1950's - grandfather lived at 111 Broad Lane, me and parents in Highlands Road round corner.  Remember Mrs Taylor in paper shop telling my mother she was far to old to become a newsagent at 45 - yet mum bought a shop in Leamore and we did ok.   Remember shops like Cookery Nook and the offy on corner of Star St.  And the old lady (very old and very small, she seemed) in the post office with her giant son.

I think lovely Milly Tromans had a shop near post office, but that may have been after we left Bradmore in about 1961. 

And we used to walk to school at Warstones past a ramshackle farm - and we would call the farmer Brandy Balls and tease him.

Our fruit & veg was brought round every week by a Mr Wainwright on a big and ancient van.  Anyone remember him?

Never thought I would reach my anecdotage, but it is quite good fun remembering all these things :)

Offline truebritmega

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: Friday 12 August 11 14:18 BST (UK) »
For anyone interested (hopefully all of us here LOL) theres a Wolverhampton Mini Meet, Friday 19 August at 12.00 for a picnic lunch in the courtyard outside the tearooms (inside if wet)

heres the thread link

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,545526.0.html
Smith, Tolley, Griffiths,
Monaghan, Richards, Clark, Clarke,
Brazier, Filben, Fibben,Filbin
Sherdon, Churden,Sheldon
Wolverhampton, Staffordshire, Bilston, Kent, London, Middlesex

Offline p.peedle

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: Wednesday 11 July 12 20:26 BST (UK) »
Hi There
I have been reading your information on Bradmore, it is facinating!!! I too was born in Hughes Ave, the Coal Yard that you have spoken about was owned by the Beddows family, who lived at the bottom of our garden, but their front of the house was on Bradmore Road.  Hope this is a help?
Pat

Offline p.peedle

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: Wednesday 11 July 12 20:36 BST (UK) »
Hi There
Many apologies I put the wrong name in my previous posting!!!!

I have been reading your information on Bradmore, it is fascinating!!! I too was born in Hughes Ave, the Coal Yard that you have spoken about was owned by the Hillman family, who lived at the bottom of our garden, but their front of the house was on Bradmore Road.  Hope this is a help?
Pat

Offline p.peedle

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: Wednesday 11 July 12 21:34 BST (UK) »
Can anyone help please? My Grandmother lived at 50 Tysull Road on the 1911 Census. The house numbers next to the gunmakers [as it is today] are 49 on the corner of Maple Road going down to the Gunmakers and the last house is 61? Which are all ODD numbers

So in theory 50 Trysull Road, should be on the opposite side of the road. However the house numbers go from 46 on the corner of Wellington Road nearest Bradmore-- then there is the Car Park which I am assuming from reading these messages, is where the Gunmakers used to be? but the next house is 56!!!  Which makes you think that 48-54 were knocked down at some point?

If the Gunmakers was on this car park, my question is where were house numbers 48-54 Trysull Road & when did the Gunmakers cross the road? Was it that 48 -54 were at the side of the pub, or were they built after the Pub moved and subsequently knocked down to leave the car park as it is today
Also does anyone have a photo of these cottages/houses to verify what happened

Any help would be appreciated
Pat

Offline Uplands

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: Thursday 12 July 12 19:48 BST (UK) »
Hello Pat

I have some good news and some bad news. The good news is that

The Bradmore Arms at Bradmore was rebuilt on the other side of the road to make way for the new shopping centre before the war.
The old Gunmakers Arms was in the same place as the present one see attached pictures.
The bad news is that the house that you are after must have been where the present day car park is and demolished. I am attaching also a picture taken many years ago of the car park. I am the taller member of the bunch, I am now 75.
I hope this helps you in your quest.

Bob.

Offline p.peedle

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: Thursday 12 July 12 20:10 BST (UK) »
Hi Bob

Thank you so much for that information, I am wondering if the houses on the other side of the road have been re-numbered at some point in time? But that still does not account for the missing numbers as it stands today?
I have looked at maps of the area for 1898 & 1890 & there is nothing on the other side of the road from 4 houses below the Star Stores? But then on a 1938 map it appears to be as it is today, with a space for the car park?
So I suppose what I need to find is a map c 1911 when the census took place. Perhaps that will throw some light on to the missing houses.
Thank you for your help
Pat

Offline Uplands

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: Thursday 12 July 12 22:30 BST (UK) »
Hi Pat.

I see what you mean.
Here is the Seisdon Road in 1901.

Bob.

Offline p.peedle

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: Friday 13 July 12 09:13 BST (UK) »
Hi Bob

I think if I look at the 1911 census & see where the address are around my paternal Grandparents, see if that throws any light on the situation? I will keep you informed.
Many thanks for you help

Kind regards
Pat