Author Topic: Bradmore wolverhampton, Gunmakers and Church Road  (Read 95372 times)

Offline truebritmega

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Bradmore wolverhampton, Gunmakers and Church Road
« Reply #18 on: Wednesday 02 September 09 01:06 BST (UK) »
In the second pic, vic road, 1 is roughly where gladstone terrace is,
2, is roughly where the carriage house is (it was actually up in that side street there , hmm i forgot that side streets name? Lutley Close?)
3 is where My grandad was lived in the 1901 census, his mom, was the niece of charles brazier, the fella from gladstone terrace (and he also lived at 3 church road)
4 is where My mom was born
Smith, Tolley, Griffiths,
Monaghan, Richards, Clark, Clarke,
Brazier, Filben, Fibben,Filbin
Sherdon, Churden,Sheldon
Wolverhampton, Staffordshire, Bilston, Kent, London, Middlesex

Offline Uplands

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Wednesday 02 September 09 10:41 BST (UK) »
I'll see what I have got in my collection.
The picture of Star St has appeared before. I put it on Flickr amongst other things so it has probably been posted by a few people as I don't mind who uses my pics.
I wouldn't mind a picture of Judsons the bike shop if anyone has one.

Offline truebritmega

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Thursday 03 September 09 00:11 BST (UK) »
ahh i do think it was flicker... and Judsons? here it comes... although my mom also remembers it as hills (tho i guess that was an owner of it at some point) she and her cousin used to take there bikes there to get its tyres pumped up (and sadly, that cousin of her died this past saturday from cancer :( ) ) hmm am i allowed to post it tho? its not "my" pic, its a pic out of a newspaper?

If not, pm me and i'll email it
Sherdon, Churden,Sheldon

Offline Uplands

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Thursday 03 September 09 11:02 BST (UK) »
I never answered your question about the school. I do remember it but only like your mother, we used to play there.
I don't suppose there are any pictures of it about now although in its time surely someone must have one somewhere!
I should imagine it was built around about the time the Bradmore school was built.
My brother went to Bradmore school but was moved to Warstones Rd when that opened on 14th Oct1940. I followed in 1941. It was quite strange to start with as the scool was only part built. The first headmistress was a Daisy Elwell and John J Deans took over on the 2nd Dec 1940. Mr Deans was there for many years.
As regards Judsons, I seem to remember it as a large wooden shed. People used to take their accumalators there to be charged at a penny a time to keep their old radio's going.
I am attaching a picture that have taken from a book. You can't see Judsons as the bus is in the way but it does show the old Star off- licence on the corner of Star St where many thousands of pints of beer were served to children in jugs for their fathers.

Offline Uplands

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Thursday 03 September 09 11:11 BST (UK) »
Here is a picture of an old Tilling Stevens and crew outside the old Bradmore Inn which was on the other side of the road before the shops were built.
In my days I remember the shops, starting from the Broad Lane end as Hoopers the ironmongers, a cake shop, Vaughans the grocers, the Talbot twins greengrocers, Lyons the butchers, Wrights the chemists and where the savings bank is this was empty. I think that was the lot.

Offline truebritmega

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Friday 04 September 09 00:22 BST (UK) »
Oooh good pics Bob!, Mom remembers that wines shop, before my time tho (I think?) (i was born 1971)

heres the pic of Judsons...
Sherdon, Churden,Sheldon

Offline truebritmega

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Friday 04 September 09 00:26 BST (UK) »
Oh and as to the school in church road, I did get a pic of it recently... St Philips had a lil history thing for there 150th anniversary and they kindly sent me a copy of the photo! Ive put it on here in another psot, heres the link
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,368873.15.html
Sherdon, Churden,Sheldon

Offline Uplands

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Friday 04 September 09 12:44 BST (UK) »
Thanks for those they brought back some great memories.
You mentioned before the greengrocers by the Bradmore Post office.
When I was little the owner used to have a van and used to deliver in Uplands Avenue. I'm not positive but I am sure his name was Jones. I am talking about the 1940's.
The little old lady who ran the Bradmore PO had a son who used to help her. He was very tall and had to stoop to look through the hatch.
There was also another chemists by the PO as well as Wrights over the Road. If I remember correctly Mr Wright, a scotsman, committed suicide. Would your mother remember that and if so what year?

Regards, Bob.

Offline truebritmega

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Sunday 06 September 09 14:37 BST (UK) »
Yes mom does remember Wrights, but she cant remember the year, (maybe when she was in her 20's, around 1950 )

And as to me saying mom remembered the man at Judsons being hills, sorry that was me miss-hearing her.. Judsons, was just Judsons... but, the houses, the terraces, alongside the gunmakers, there was another bike shop in one of the terraces... that, was Hills where she used to have her bike tyres pumped up for a penny, sorry to have mis said that earlier...

as to the tall fella at the post office, yes mom remembers him and she thinks he used to be a policeman

She also said she thinks that Talbots and Vaughns were in the same shop, one side selling butter etc... the other selling veg etc..

I remember Taylors well myself, and the butchers besides it, but when I was young it was another name...
Mom also said that just up from Judsons there used to be a fish shop (not where it is now, but just a few doors away from Judsons)
Sherdon, Churden,Sheldon