Author Topic: Elijah Julier  (Read 1156 times)

Offline roger julien

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Elijah Julier
« on: Monday 01 June 09 18:33 BST (UK) »
Imformation on the working life of my g grandad Elijah Julier b 1841 caister, Norfolk and d. 1925 in Dover. aged 84. He progressed to sea captain in the merchant service. His spouse was Mary Ann Julier/ nee Garwood from Gorleston, Norfolk. I cant find anything on his life at sea and would love a photo!! Thanks, Roger Julien (the R became a N in the surname)

Offline sillgen

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Elijah Julier
« Reply #1 on: Monday 01 June 09 18:38 BST (UK) »
Hi and welcome to rootschat.  you had posted this on the County Durham board and I could not quite see how it fitted there!   I have moved it to Beginners but if you would prefer it to go to Norfolk then please say so and it can be moved again.
Have you looked at the merchant navy records at Kew?    Another source is Lloyd's Captains register - again at Kew but also held by other archives.
Andrea

Offline roger julien

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 01 June 09 19:27 BST (UK) »
Hi Angela, couldn't find anything in Durham but possibility he may have gone to OZ and became a sea captain there, hence posted on Australia site!! Roger Julien

Offline jorose

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 03 June 09 10:43 BST (UK) »
There are indexes to Captains Registers here:
http://www.history.ac.uk/gh/capintro.htm

Can you narrow down when he would have had the rank of Captain? I can see him in 1871 as "mariner" and in 1881 Mary seems to be by herself.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk