Author Topic: IGI Batches  (Read 902 times)

Offline forest

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
IGI Batches
« on: Wednesday 23 February 05 21:10 GMT (UK) »
I'd appreciate some reassurance on IGI batches please.

Can IGI batches be relied upon to contain ALL the christenings/marriages which took place at the batch number's location during the years recorded under that batch number?

Thanks

forest

Derbyshire: Brocklehurst, Wigley, Wragg, Hunt, White
Suffolk: Pledger, Mears
Herts: Hills, Linzell,Cakebread
Cambs: Hills
Bucks: Edmonds

London (Moorfields/Shoreditch) : Williams, Sharp
Warwicks: Edmonds, Litchfield
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Keith Bateman

• I am sorry but my emails are not working
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • .....The Cheshire Cat
    • View Profile
Re: IGI Batches
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 24 February 05 00:22 GMT (UK) »
Hi forest,

IGI is very good  - but it can't be relied on for anything!!

Usually good tho for batch numbers - are you missing a child?

Could be born in the next town - perhaps?

Have a look at the little programme "Parloc" - that gives you distances to the nearest towns - do you have that prog?

Cheers

Keith
Bateman - Ware, Herts, London.<br />Partington - Liverpool - Devon - Manchester<br />Foster - Liverpool - Manchester - Scotland<br />Gates - Cumberland - Liverpool - Manchester - Australia<br />Westwood - Ware, Herts<br /><br /><br />"Any information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk"

Has Bouncing Emails

Offline forest

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: IGI Batches
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 24 February 05 10:20 GMT (UK) »
Hi Keith

Thanks for getting back to me on this.  No I'm not missing a child.   I had found my gggrandfather's christening on a Batch and from that had his parents names but no surname for the mother.   On another batch  I found a marriage with the right groom's name and from that from  a surname for the bride (Ann) and the date was about right.   No other couples with the correct first names and bridegroom's surname are listed in that batch so, being probably ridiculously cautious, I just wanted to be sure that the 100 years covered by the batch would contain every marriage in that village, and I could take them as being my 3x grandparents.   The same thing then applies for the next generation back.

I had also found the family listed in the Rootsweb Family Trees but still only giving IGI as the source.

Anyway, thanks again.  It does help to have someone tell you that the batches are usually ok.

forest
Derbyshire: Brocklehurst, Wigley, Wragg, Hunt, White
Suffolk: Pledger, Mears
Herts: Hills, Linzell,Cakebread
Cambs: Hills
Bucks: Edmonds

London (Moorfields/Shoreditch) : Williams, Sharp
Warwicks: Edmonds, Litchfield
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk