Author Topic: Rose Ann BRIGGS and George GULLIDGE  (Read 18866 times)

Offline davies51

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Rose Ann BRIGGS and George GULLIDGE
« Reply #36 on: Sunday 22 July 12 07:08 BST (UK) »
Re Briggs (have only just found this sight!!)
John & Ann Briggs came to Australia and settled in Mintaro. I think Anne may have had children (2?) before marrying john Briggs.
All John and Anne's children were born in England. I think there were 5 but can only find 4
John Briggs sen died at Parkside. His wife Anne died at Mintaro.  The Syliva mentioned in the book is an error as far as I can find out and is in fact one of his children

Catherine - had a son Henry - in England - What became of him???? She then married William Sinclair at Encounter Bay (they had 1 child - he moved to Victoria and had a large family) She may have then married John Martin - I can find no record of her death.

George Briggs married Ellen McManus (at age 25 not 21 as is in the Mintaro book.) They moved to Young in NSW with their eldested daughter Rose Ann. Many of George's decendants are still in the Young area.

John Briggs married Ann Campbell and I note someone has listed all the children. Mary Ann was the only one to marry at age 40 ( I am her eldest great grandchild)

Rose Ann married George Gullidge and had 1 child Selina Anne married Galloway and lived on Black Gate Station. She is buried on the station and her decendants are still there.  I can not find her death record.

Does anyone have any information going back to John briggs in England or his wife Anne Burrows????

The 5th Briggs child - was it a boy or a girl, maybe named Elisabeth????

Any help would be great

Offline davies51

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Monday 23 July 12 12:52 BST (UK) »
Following up on Catherine Briggs - Do you know what became of Henry.  Did she have a sister Elizabeth.  I know the history of George, John ( my great great grandfather) and Rose Anne or Rosannah?
Appreciate any help in this area.
Monica

Offline Zel

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Monday 23 July 12 22:45 BST (UK) »
Hello Davies 51
Catherine's son Henry Ruddifer Briggs b 1845 Winwick Huntingdonshire is still a mystery to me so I can't help you with that one.
Catherine died on the 23 August 1910 under the name of Sinclair which has posed another mystery, her children are listed as Margaret A age 57William about 50 James 46 George & Mary A Twins 43 Annie 40               
1 male deceased
1 female deceased
On the birth certificates of James Martin b  25 October 1864 Catherine had listed previous children as Henry Redford Sinclair 19 years William John Sinclair aged 15 years and Agnes Sinclair deceased these were then crossed out. There has never been a mention of  Margaret A.
The only Margaret Ann I have found was born to Annie Martin on 28  September 1888 which would have made her 22 at the time of her grandmothers death.
As for the marriage of Catherine to John Martin I don't believe there was one even though on the birth certificates it mentions Inglewood 1853.
Mary Ann is also known as Mrs Banfield and Annie is Mrs Locke.
I hope this helps. I first posted my queries of Catherine's death on this site and was kindly given the information which I was most appreciative so it is nice to return the kindness to someone else.

Offline davies51

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Thursday 26 July 12 06:14 BST (UK) »
Thankyou Zel,
That was very helpful. bot sure of your Briggs connection but the following may be helpful.
Margaret Ann was the daughter of William Sinclair and his first wife Helen Anderson (1827 - ??) Margaret was born in 1853 in Gellong, Victoria. In 1868 she married Edward D Scott in Wagga Wagga NSW.

A point of interest is, I have Catherine & William marrying in the home of Mr Newland of Encounter Bay, Victor Harbour. (I think he may have been the Reverend Newland.)  He was friend with E Waymouth. (E Waymouth built the Newland Congregational church in Victor Harbour) E Waymouth came to Australia on the Poictier, Nov 1848, the same boat that Catherine Briggs Parents and siblings arrived on!

Thanks again for you help

Offline Zel

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Thursday 26 July 12 08:20 BST (UK) »
Thank You
Your hint about Margaret Ann has really piqued my curiosity I have Catherine marrying William in Adelaide in May 1848 and their son William being born in the December 1848 but if Margaret Ann was not born until 1853 to William's first wife then William sen would be a bigamist.

I have my doubts about this so will need to find the correct dates for Helen's death and the correct date for Margaret Ann's birth, this is a real mystery.

Also in one of your messages you were wondering what happened to Catherine's son Henry, on Catherine's death certificate it states one son is deceased, this may be him as I have all others accounted for that is unless I have missed one.

I only have William Sinclair b 1848 James Martin b 1864 and George Martin b 1867 ( George was a twin) Catherine would have been my G G Grandmother on my fathers side.
Many Thanks for you help
Margaret

Offline axecalibre

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Thursday 26 July 12 10:13 BST (UK) »
On BMD there is a Henry Riddiford Briggs b June quarter, Oundle, 1845 Vol15, page 333. Sorry cannot find death for Henry Briggs, Oundle, though there could be others.

Have searched census returns and no sign of Henry Briggs that fits the bill.

Riddiford is a very unusual name.  In 1841 census there were two Riddiford families, one in Cambridge and a Henry Riddoford b 1826, in Huntingdon, maybe Catherine was a servant.....  Flights of fantasy!!
FOULIS, MOFFAT, Scotland, NZ, Canada
SPENCE-THOMAS, Forest of Dean, Wales, England
ADAIR, Dublin
MAGGS, BULL, Bristol, England, Ireland
ALLEN, London, Bristol
GREEN, Shefford, Beds, Somerset
DURRELL, Wivenhoe
BRIDGMAN, England

Offline Zel

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Friday 27 July 12 01:51 BST (UK) »
Hello
The Henry referred to was born in Winwick  Huntingdonshire  in 1845 and named  Henry Ruddifer Briggs, yes I do believe Catherine may have been a servant even though I have not really researched that line.

When I was looking through the church registers  I do remember there were quiet a  few surnames of Ruddifer also listed around the same time period

Thanks for you input every small piece we can add to our family research puzzle is a great benefit.
 :)

Offline Helmore S

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Saturday 18 August 12 12:52 BST (UK) »
Hi all,

I have been reading with interest your chat about the Briggs family. I know it is no help with your research but I am the current owner of the Briggs Cottage ruin in Mintaro. I purchased the property in 2000 and have done some work to stabilise and restore the structure. Unfortunately the only historic information I have has already been referenced in earlier posts
Cheers
Stuart

Offline davies51

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: Sunday 19 August 12 01:32 BST (UK) »
Hi Stuart,
I read this with interest.  The last time I saw the place was in the 1980's - enough said!!!!! I may come calling one day as I only live about 60Km away, was in Clare last week and we did consider driving home through Mintaro. I am guesssing you are in the last house they had, I think it was need the old police station, from memory? Some records show Briggs living there until 1900 but the family moved to Adelaide it the 1880,s John Brigg,s  senior died in 1888 and his son John Briggs (both had wivies named Ann!!) became the caretaker at the Stock Exchange in Pirie St.
I have not be able to find many records of John Briggs Sn, most appear to be of his son John (my great great grandfather)