Author Topic: Castle Hill Street Wexford  (Read 30218 times)

Offline Gearoid

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Castle Hill Street Wexford
« Reply #45 on: Thursday 13 September 12 11:39 BST (UK) »
Cog,
I'm not sure if this thread is still alive, but however....
I'm pretty sure I can specify the Furlong house on Castlehill Street. My mother lived on the Faythe at Swan View and she is sure that the Furlong house was actually at the top of the hill and could be mistaken for being on the Faythe. If you look on Google Earth and use the Street View option you can see it.
My mothers mother was a Furlong, and my mother's Grandfather was Charles Furlong. They lived in Talbot Street in 1901, in Bogganstown in 1911, and were living on Swan View by the time my mother was born in 1921. My mother remembers Molly and Christine Furlong calling by and referring to her grandfather as Uncle Charlie. My mother was not 100% sure, but believed that Charles was related to Mary not Partick Furlong (Mary's maiden name was also Furlong). My mother and her siblings referred to Mary Furlong as Aunt Mary. My mother's side of the family continued to live on Swan View until the 1970s. Their family name was Kehoe.
I'd be glad to let you have any further info.....assuming this message link is still working!
Gearoid.

Offline Gearoid

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: Thursday 13 September 12 11:47 BST (UK) »
Here is the Google Picture. The Furlong house is the second from the left...the firtst one to the right of the electricity pole, with a white door. Or working from the right side...not the red house, not the white house, yes the unpainted one. The Swan is out of view to the right. The white house was Meades. So the furlong house would have been looking across at the gate to the graveyard.
Gearoid.

Moderator Note : Google Street view removed. Please use a link instead.

Offline Cog

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: Thursday 13 September 12 15:31 BST (UK) »
Hello Geroid

what a lovely suprise to get a mail after so long posting am delighted to find someone that knew my Furlongs !! I didnt get chance to read your mails properly yet as I am just checking my mail but will sit down later and have a good read and check out the google view page. Thank you so much for answering  :)

Carol
O'GRADY - DUBLIN,TIPPERARY,& ENGLAND
DOOLEY - TIPPERARY, CO LAOIS
KAVANAGH - DUBLIN
HARRIS- CLARE, CORK, & ENGLAND
BLANEY, DOYLE FURLONG -  WEXFORD
FURLONG-WEXFORD
MELICAN- CLARE

OTHER NAME INTERESTS - MORAN ,CORBETT, LILLIS, MCGERRY, MCNAMARA, MCGRANE, BRENNAN.....All County Clare & Scattery Island

Offline Gearoid

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: Thursday 13 September 12 17:37 BST (UK) »
Glad to be able to make some connections. My mother is 92, but is good at remembering little details, albeit with a fair degree of uncertainty about how sure she is. Usually at her best when just reminiscing. She lived at Swan View until after I was born - in 1949 - when we moved to Waterford, and later to Dublin. I visited Swan View very regularly up to the 1970s. While my mother is in Dublin, there is one aunt still living on the Faythe, as well as many other relatives scattered around the rest of Wexford Town.
Gearoid.

Offline Cog

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: Thursday 13 September 12 19:38 BST (UK) »
Hello Cousin haha

Amazing stuff ! I have my records out now and it all fits together nicely . I have searched for many years for my Dads family as I never knew anything about them and all I have is one photograph of the family taken in Dublin the year my Dad was born, he was a few months old in the picture. His mother was Anasatsia Furlong who unfortunately died in Dublin in 1940 age 48 , my Dad was only 13 at the time and one of 9 children. He was so distraut at the death of his Mother he never talked about her family . My mom was the one that lead me in the right direction giving me names of siblings and where they lived. I knew that my GGrandfather Patrick Furlong had married another Furlong because on the 1901 census it records Patricks mother in law as living with them her name being Anastasia Furlong, at first I thought there was a mistake on the census but now with your mothers information know it to be true.  So your Great Grandfather Charles Furlong being an uncle of my great aunts Molly and Christine (sinblings of my Grandmother Anastasia) would be Mary Furlongs brother ? and not the brother of her husband Patrick Furlong . With them all having the same name it would have been easy to presume that it would be Patrick that was the brother of your GGrandfather so this information is great news !  I would love to know who the relatives are that are left in Wexford and where your Mother is . I will PM you my chart.  my Grandmother Anastasia Furlong married James O'Grady after meeting his while working as a general servant in Bray, they had 9 children one my Dad and settled in Sandymount Dublin.  I had travelled to Wexford a couple of years ago hoping to find the Furlong home but didnt manage to .  Thank you so much for reply I will PM you next. Perhaps it will trigger more memories for your mother  ;)
KAVANAGH - DUBLIN
FURLONG-WEXFORD
MELICAN- CLARE

OTHER NAME INTERESTS - MORAN ,CORBETT, LILLIS, MCGERRY, MCNAMARA, MCGRANE, BRENNAN.....All County Clare & Scattery Island

Offline Cog

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: Thursday 13 September 12 20:49 BST (UK) »
I am looking at the google view at the moment, would that be number 14 ? wooden coloured door ?
KAVANAGH - DUBLIN
FURLONG-WEXFORD
MELICAN- CLARE

Offline Cog

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: Thursday 13 September 12 21:15 BST (UK) »
I think I got it now , is it the one with the peachy coloured paint around the inserts of windows and door ?
KAVANAGH - DUBLIN
FURLONG-WEXFORD
MELICAN- CLARE

Offline Gearoid

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: Friday 14 September 12 09:51 BST (UK) »
Yes, the one with the peachy colour around the door and windows - assuming my mother's description is accurate.  feel 99% sure myself. If its incorrect, then it would be by only one house - meaning that your peoples house would be the one hiding behing the electricity pole. However, my mother is pretty sure about her memory on this. Until the 1970s the extreme right house (the one with 'Lighting' sign) was not a family home - it was a malthouse. The one in 'red' with the dog grooming sign was our family Kehoe/Furlong; and the white house was Meades. Then your Furlongs. I will send you a photo of Charles Furlong later.
G.

Offline shorts

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: Sunday 28 October 12 09:08 GMT (UK) »

I have searched for many years for my Dads family as I never knew anything about them and all I have is one photograph of the family taken in Dublin the year my Dad was born, he was a few months old in the picture. His mother was Anasatsia Furlong who unfortunately died in Dublin in 1940 age 48 , my Dad was only 13 at the time and one of 9 children. He was so distraut at the death of his Mother he never talked about her family . My mom was the one that lead me in the right direction giving me names of siblings and where they lived. I knew that my GGrandfather Patrick Furlong had married another Furlong because on the 1901 census it records Patricks mother in law as living with them her name being Anastasia Furlong, at first I thought there was a mistake on the census but now with your mothers information know it to be true. 

The 1911 census states that Mary & Patrick Furlong had been married 27 years so they were married approx 1884. Below is what would appear to be their details recorded in the Bride Street church parish register. Date of marriage = 16th June 1884.

Patrick’s father, Richard Furlong, is stated to be resident in Coolcots, a Townland on the outskirts of Wexford town.
Dalton: Wexford Town/Ireland
Curran: Ballyvaloo/Blackwater/Co Wexford/Ireland
Clowery/Farrell: Wexford Town/Ireland
Flood: Enniscorthy & Wexford/Ireland
Ormand/Kirwan: Blackwater/Co Wexford/Ireland
Shortman: Bristol/Westbury-on-Trym/Manchester
Trull: Uley/Dursley/Glos
Cross: Dursley/Glos
Hazard: Bristol/Manchester