Author Topic: Castle Hill Street Wexford  (Read 30213 times)

Offline shorts

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Castle Hill Street Wexford
« Reply #54 on: Sunday 28 October 12 09:26 GMT (UK) »
Patrick and Mary's Furlong's first child, Richard, was born approx 9 months after they married on 3 April 1885 (Bapt on 5th). His baptism record confirms that at that time the family were living in King Street.
Dalton: Wexford Town/Ireland
Curran: Ballyvaloo/Blackwater/Co Wexford/Ireland
Clowery/Farrell: Wexford Town/Ireland
Flood: Enniscorthy & Wexford/Ireland
Ormand/Kirwan: Blackwater/Co Wexford/Ireland
Shortman: Bristol/Westbury-on-Trym/Manchester
Trull: Uley/Dursley/Glos
Cross: Dursley/Glos
Hazard: Bristol/Manchester

Offline shorts

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: Sunday 28 October 12 09:39 GMT (UK) »
When Patrick & Mary's son Patrick was born on 14 Feb 1894 the family were still residing in King Street. However by 16 Feb 1896 they had moved to Castle Hill Street as evidenced by the marriage details of a William Furlong for whom Patrick & Mary were the witnesses.

As William's father is also a 'Richard Furlong', living in Barntown which is close to Coolcots, it's a very strong possibility that Patrick & William are brothers.

Offline Cog

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: Sunday 28 October 12 12:09 GMT (UK) »
Shorts !  :D Wow ! this is amazing , I cant thank you enough ! just taking it all in at the moment  , this is just wonderful ....thank you !!!!!!

Carol
O'GRADY - DUBLIN,TIPPERARY,& ENGLAND
DOOLEY - TIPPERARY, CO LAOIS
KAVANAGH - DUBLIN
HARRIS- CLARE, CORK, & ENGLAND
BLANEY, DOYLE FURLONG -  WEXFORD
FURLONG-WEXFORD
MELICAN- CLARE

OTHER NAME INTERESTS - MORAN ,CORBETT, LILLIS, MCGERRY, MCNAMARA, MCGRANE, BRENNAN.....All County Clare & Scattery Island

Offline Cog

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: Sunday 28 October 12 14:48 GMT (UK) »
So Steve ! its seems my GG Grandfathers name was Richard and I also have another town. So many other names too. The King St connection makes my mind boggle a little, this thread being a long one , but I seem to remember Rattler mentioning King Street while looking for her Walsh's and Furlongs ?!?

This new information is absolutley brilliant Steve I am so so pleased with it , thank you so much

Carol
KAVANAGH - DUBLIN
FURLONG-WEXFORD
MELICAN- CLARE

OTHER NAME INTERESTS - MORAN ,CORBETT, LILLIS, MCGERRY, MCNAMARA, MCGRANE, BRENNAN.....All County Clare & Scattery Island

Offline shorts

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: Sunday 28 October 12 15:28 GMT (UK) »
Hi Carol  -  Re your Grandmother – Anastasia.

In the 1901 census record for the Furlong family from Castle Hill St there is a ‘Stasia’ Furlong aged 14, i.e. born approx 1887. I had a quick look in my stuff but I can't see a baptism record for her although there is an Anastasia Furlong born in 1887 to a Charles Furlong from Talbot Street.

However you have stated that Anastasia died in 1940 aged 48, i.e. born approx 1892 (and you have also stated she died in 1947 which confuses things a little!)

Do you have an exact date of birth for her?

Offline Cog

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: Sunday 28 October 12 17:00 GMT (UK) »
I was just looking through my notes on this subject because through both census pages one for wexford and the 1911 for Dublin (where I found her working in Bray where she met my Grandad) her ages conflict. I have her death cert so will take a look in a minute . I noticed also that I have one child missing as stated in the 1911 census 13 children born but only 11 alive. Also have got very excited because have now come across a Richard Furlong and his wife living in Carrick , didnt have time to look up how close this is to Coolcotts but am very excited about this  http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1901/Wexford/Carrick/Ballindinas/1804295/

Will look up my Grannies age again .

Carol  :D
KAVANAGH - DUBLIN
FURLONG-WEXFORD
MELICAN- CLARE

Offline Cog

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: Sunday 28 October 12 17:56 GMT (UK) »
Steve  , I think that the Annastasia aged 14 could well be the child I am missing because the one in the census is too old to be my Granny. She definetely died in 1940 the certificate states aged 48. Her birth being 1894 is more relevant to my Grandfathers dob being 1891 he was older than her. I know its not uncommon for parents to name a child after one that died. This could explain why I have never been able to find this missing child. But I need to find a birth now for my Granny.

Carol
KAVANAGH - DUBLIN
FURLONG-WEXFORD
MELICAN- CLARE

Offline Cog

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: Saturday 30 March 13 17:30 GMT (UK) »
Hi everyone

Im getting very frustrated with this ....now if my granny Anastacia Furlong was born in 1892 as per her death cert saying she died in 1940 aged 48, then why can I not find her on the 1901 census aged 9 ! and indeed find an Anastacia aged 14 !  I know her father was Patrick Furlong "Coachman" as recorded on her marriage cert. and the 1901 census shows Patrick is indeed a coachman although his occupation changed in later years, and I also see siblings living on this census in Castlehill Street that I know about for sure . Where could Anastacia be in 1901 ! Any ideas would be very very much appreciated. 
KAVANAGH - DUBLIN
FURLONG-WEXFORD
MELICAN- CLARE

Offline shorts

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: Saturday 30 March 13 22:39 GMT (UK) »
It would appear that you're taking the age at death (48) stated on Anastasia's death certificate as fact but ages stated on censuses and to a lesser degree death certs can be unreliable. Is this the only source you have to verify a dob of approx 1892?

The 1901 census has a daughter aged 14 (born approx 1887) by the name of Stasia. Is it not very unlikely that if (as you're assuming) a third daughter arrived in 1892 they decided to also name her Anastasia?

Just to emphasise my point, my Great Grandfather was born in 1860 per his baptism record and his age was stated as 40 in the 1901 census and 51 in the 1911 census. However when he died in 1916 aged 56 his death cert stated his age at death as 52!!