Author Topic: John Grant of Maryport, c1785  (Read 844 times)

Offline ainslie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
John Grant of Maryport, c1785
« on: Tuesday 02 June 09 14:50 BST (UK) »
Rebecca Grant was married to Thomas Morris on 19 February 1806 at St.Anne's Church, Liverpool (known as St.Anne, Richmond - demolished 1970s).  One of their children was John Grant Morris, my ancestor.
Rebecca was born 18 February 1785 and baptised 17 April at the Scotch Presbyterian Church, Maryport, Cumberland, daughter of John Grant and his wife Ann.  The County Archive Service  at Carlisle told me that their microfilm copy of the church's register includes that baptism and states that John and Ann were ‘of Maryport’.  At that time the west Cumberland ports had much trade with Liverpool and many of Liverpool's ship-owners shipbuilders and merchants had migrated for greater opportunities as Liverpool's trade gradually increased at the expense of its rivals.
I have not found a marriage for this couple listed in the IGI or elsewhere, but a photocopy in Liverpool RO of the registers of Kaye Street Presbyterian Chapel, Liverpool (later known as Hope Street Unitarian Church) show the following baptisms of children of a John Grant and Ann his wife (no mother's maiden name given).
   John   born 19 April       bapt. 18 May 1787
   Sarah   born 13 March      bapt 28 March 1791
   James   born 18 October   bapt.17 November 1793
[probably died young and replaced by a younger brother - see James of 1796/7]
   George   born 12 May      bapt.17 June 1795
   James   born 27 Dec.1796   bapt. 29 January 1797.

If anyone can throw any light on this family I should be thankful.
A