Author Topic: Wales Census Help Please  (Read 4638 times)

Offline blodwyn

• I am sorry but my emails are no longer working
  • RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Wales Census Help Please
« on: Thursday 24 February 05 01:08 GMT (UK) »
Hello, I am looking for my grandfather's birthplace. The only information I have is that my grandfather Alfred Ashford was born July 1846 in Wales, Parents were Henry Ashford and Emma Whaler.
 I was told to try looking through census records for Crickhowell, Breconshire Wales, and Narborth, South Wales.I am hoping the census records will help me pinpoint were the family was living at the time of Alfred's birth.
  Any information you can give would be greatly appreciated, With Best Regards, and Much Thanks,Margaret

Offline D ap D

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Stuck with John Jones in Wales? Join the club!
    • View Profile
Re: Wales Census Help Please
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 24 February 05 08:59 GMT (UK) »
Hi blodwyn,
Crickhowell and Narberth (!) are miles away from each other. Crickhowell as you say in Brecon and Narberth in Pembroke.

There must be a good reason for you to be told to look there. Can you elaborate?

Ashford is not a common name in Wales, the the chances of you finding him are relatively good.  The best place to start is on the LDS site, with the 81 census. I had a look there, entering only his name and Wales as place of birth. You are in luck - there is a grand total of 1 entry for this name. Sorry I can't copy the info, but if you look, he's there in Denbigh, living with his brother Thomas and sister Sarah H., all 3 born in Begelly, Pembs.

My next suggestion would be to look at the 71 census on ancestry for these names - the chances are that Sarah will still be living with her parents.

Following that, look for Alfred and Thomas with their parents in Begelly in the 1851 census.
If you look at the freebmd site (sorry I can't from work - the site is blocked) you may well find their births, and knowing their parents names from the 51 census, you can order not only their birth certificates, but also their parents marriage cert. THAT will give you the names of Alfred pat. grandfather at least.

Good luck

D ap D

Stuck with:
William Williams of Llanllyfni
John Jones in Llanelli
Evan Evans in Caio
David Davies of Llansanffraid
Evans: Caio/Carms
Jones: CDG, DEN

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

"Nor do I think that any other nation than this of Wales, or any other tongue, whatever may hereafter come to pass, shall on the day of the great reckoning before the Most High Judge, answer for this corner of the earth": The Old Man of Pencader to Henry II

Offline alisporter

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 24 February 05 09:12 GMT (UK) »
1871 Census
Alfred is 24 and living at The Free Trade Hall, 48 High Street, Rhudden, Flintshire. He is an Assistant Draper to Thomas Griffiths, A Linen and Woollen Draper.   

1881 Census

Alfred is 35 and living at 44 High Street Denbigh. He was born in Begelly, South Wales. Occupation Grocer & Wine & Spirit Dealer employing 3 boys. His sister Sarah,33, lives with him. She is the Housekeeper. And his brother Thomas, 33, is his business partner.

Alfred is 44, still living at the same address with Thomas and three servants. Family Grocers.

Good luck with the rest of your search!
Scotland; Porter, Legerwood
Northumberland; Porter, Ogle, Legerwood, Dixon,  Kennedy, Iveson
Cumberland; Laidler
Wales; Evans, Walters, Morgan, Thomas
Somerset; Leigh, Cook
Oxfordshire; Denman
Middx; Chelsea; Benson; Finsbury; Macklin
Nottinghamshire; Perry
Cambridgeshire; Cropley
Berkshire; White

Offline blodwyn

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 25 February 05 00:49 GMT (UK) »
I do thank you all so much for your  help with my search. But unfortunatly this Alfred is not my grandfather.
  My grandfather came to America in 1850 at the age of 9 with his parents Henry and Emma, and sisters Sarah and Mary Ann.
  I did find a few entires for Alfred Ashford on the FREE BMD site, and  a friend of mine who is of Welsh descent told me only two entries on the BMD were registered in Wales, those entries were in Narborth, and Crickhowell.My friend suggested I see if there are any census records from the 1840's or 1850 that might list Henry & Emma, that way I would be able to narrow down the location were my grandfather was born
  Census records here in the U.S. date back to the 1700's I'm not sure how far census records go back for Wales.
 I do Thank You all again for your help. It is so greatly appreciated.
 With Kindest Regards,
Margaret 

Offline rhys

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 25 February 05 10:38 GMT (UK) »
Hello Margaret

Here is the family in 1851.

Breconshire HO107 2490 523  1

Brynmawr
Ashford Henry  h m   36 coal miner Somerset  Mason
             Emma  w m   38                       "               "
             Alfred    s u     8   scholar    BREC     Brynmawr
             Sarah    d  u    3        "              "           "
This would tie in with the alfred born crickhowell district     

Rhys             

Bouncing Emails

Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline blodwyn

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 25 February 05 23:53 GMT (UK) »
Hello Margaret

Here is the family in 1851.

Breconshire HO107 2490 523  1

Brynmawr
Ashford Henry  h m   36 coal miner Somerset  Mason
             Emma  w m   38                       "               "
             Alfred    s u     8   scholar    BREC     Brynmawr
             Sarah    d  u    3        "              "           "
This would tie in with the alfred born crickhowell district     

Rhys             

Dear Rhys, This is my Ashford Family.I want to Thank You from the bottom of my heart for the census information you posted.I am assuming the Somerset listed behind Henry & Emma's names means they were born in Somerset England.If so, I have been looking for Henry's birth or marriage records in the wrong County!!! I was told by family members that he was born in Lancashire.I will now try searching in Somerset.
  Again, I want to thank you for your help. It is so greatly appreciated.
With Kindest Regards,
Margaret