Author Topic: Leslie/McConaghie in Ballymoney  (Read 5824 times)

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Leslie/McConaghie in Ballymoney
« Reply #9 on: Friday 05 June 09 14:18 BST (UK) »
Well, then in 1911 they were living in Church Street but since Daniel was a labourer it's quite possible the family might have moved around various rented houses.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline blackicerose

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 05 June 09 14:43 BST (UK) »
In 35 Church St he was living in the YMCA that he was the caretaker of at that time. I know that he had quite a lot of jobs around Ballymoney including a Druggist assistant and a Horse dealer with Baxters

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 05 June 09 14:57 BST (UK) »
The house in Church St. had no number- the '35' in 1911 census was the number on the form, not house number.

Offline dannimac

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 22 September 09 17:04 BST (UK) »
Although Daniel McConaghie was listed as a labourer in the census, he left Jane 8 small houses which were rented to provide her with an income. He was much older than his second wife Jane.  In 1927, her brother Sam McIlreavey's wife died in childbirth delivering their 5th child. The widow Jane McConaghie who had 3 grown up children of her own, adopted the baby and he was named Daniel McConaghie after her late husband.  This Daniel died on 7th August 2009 and was my much loved father.  My name is also Daniel McConaghie.

Offline blackicerose

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 23 September 09 13:56 BST (UK) »
Hello dannimac, it's wonderful to hear from you. I appreiciate the informaton you have given me.

Daniel McConaghie's eldest son was called Robert and I am his great-granddaughter. I have attached a photograph of Robert.

I know that Daniel married Letitia Leslie in Greenock, Scotland and their son Robert was born there. I have been unable to find out anything about Daniel's mother and father and as yet cannot prove that they actually came from Ballymoney and the same has to be said for Letitia's family.

If you would have any photographs of any members of our family, I wonder if you would be willing to share these with me? Any information that I have I will gladly pass on to you.

Just on another point, we found Daniel living and working as the caretaker in the YMCA, Ballymoney. Have you ever heard about this?

I look forward to hearing from you. This is my personal email address if you can let me have yours it is easier to send documents, photographs etc. without making them public.

(*)

Best wishes,

Lyndsey Colgan

P.S - My mother Odette Colgan nee. McConaghie has just come in from work and I read her your message. She was wondering if you would be any relation to John McConaghie from Ballycastle who she used to work with and although they knew they were related, they could never figure out the connection?

(*) Moderator Comment: e-mail removed in accordance with RootsChat policy,
to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

New members must make at least three postings before being allowed to use the PM facility.
See Help-Page:  http://www.rootschat.com/help/pms.php

Offline blackicerose

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 23 September 09 16:53 BST (UK) »
Dannimac,

I have sent you my email address in a personal message since the moderators have taken it off my original post.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 23 September 09 17:42 BST (UK) »
Dannimac,

I have sent you my email address in a personal message since the moderators have taken it off my original post.

New members need at have at least 3 posts to use PM system as I explained earlier when I removed your email address.

Offline DrewH

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 28 December 20 16:03 GMT (UK) »
Daniel McConaghie and Letitia Leslie had a son called Daniel.  He moved to Belfast (Beersbridge Road) who was killed in an industrial accident in June 1928.  The newspaper, The Ballymoney Free Press had a report on the inquest (published on 28 June 1928).  According to that report Daniel was originally from John Street in Ballymoney (and the 1901 Census would confirm that).  A separate report in the same edition names his widow as the former Miss Maggie Hammond .  They apparently had a young daughter.  Maggie would have been my great-aunt and was also living in John Street in 1901. 
Does anyone know what became of Maggie and her daughter.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Monday 28 December 20 18:19 GMT (UK) »
Belfast Telegraph, 1 Mar.1929: ... yesterday, before the Lord Chief Justice, a settlement was arrived at in the action in which the plaintiff was Margaret M'Conaghie, of Beersbridge Road, Belfast, the defendants were the London, Midland and Scottish Railway Company. Plaintiff's claim ... for the benefit of herself (the widow) and Eleanor Sands M'Conaghie, the daughter, of Daniel M'Conaghie, deceased, who had suffered the damage from the negligence and the breach of their statutory duties by defendants during the discharge of cargo from their ship, whereby Daniel M'Conaghie was killed ...
Belfast Directories- 96 Beersbidge Rd. Mrs McConaghie
1932- https://www.lennonwylie.co.uk/bcomplete1932.htm
1939- https://www.lennonwylie.co.uk/bcomplete1939.htm
1943- https://www.lennonwylie.co.uk/bcomplete1943.htm
1947- https://www.lennonwylie.co.uk/bcomplete1947.htm
1951- https://www.lennonwylie.co.uk/bcomplete1951.htm
1960- 96. McKenzie, Albert, pump attendant