Author Topic: COMPLETED Joseph Parker, cordwainer of Dundalk  (Read 5017 times)

Offline anthonyp

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
COMPLETED Joseph Parker, cordwainer of Dundalk
« on: Thursday 04 June 09 22:12 BST (UK) »
I'm new to this board and to Irish family history - can anyone give me hints about more sources on my gggrandfather Joseph Parker, a cordwainer (presumably = shoemaker) of Dundalk?  His son John Parker said that he was born at Dundalk House on 12 June 1824, and his (John's) marriage certificate (Southampton, Dec 1851) names his father and gives his profession - but that's all I know!  I suppose the Parkers will have been dissenters since the next generation (William Henry Parker of Woolwich, England) was a missioner, and his father John Parker, a house painter by trade and a private in the Royal Sappers and Miners, was married in the Register Office at Southampton, perhaps because he too wanted to avoid any whited sepulchres.  What sort of establishment would Joseph Parker have had in early C19 Dundalk?  Are there any chapel or meeting house records which might mention the family? And why - the big one! - was John Parker born at Dundalk House and not at his father's house?  Any advice most welcome!

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
Re: Joseph Parker, cordwainer of Dundalk
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 04 June 09 22:55 BST (UK) »
in Pigot's commercial directory of 1824 there are two Parker entries in the Boot & Shoemakers section for Dundalk :

John Parker, (ladies' shoes) upper Ward
 Joseph Parker , middle Ward

I dont see any mention of a Dundalk House at the time.

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline anthonyp

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 04 June 09 23:09 BST (UK) »
Thanks - good hint, very helpful!  Re Dundalk House, I understand it's in M Bence-Jones 'Guide to Irish Country Houses', dated 1750+, and I think in 1824 it was the seat of Earl Roden (who was the patron of the benefice).  Probably too grand to get into the directory?
   If anyone else can drop even the most oblique helpful hint I'll be most grateful!

Offline jbhall

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 05 June 09 13:33 BST (UK) »
I have sent you a private reply. Hope it helps.
Brendan
Louth: Hall, Kindlon, Hughes, McAuley, Cumiskey
Cavan: Langan, Reilly
Dublin: McAuley, Murphy
England & Wales: Parkhouse, Callow, Callowhill, Vinall, Huzzey, Mortimer