Author Topic: Cannot find my gt gt grandfather's birth  (Read 2620 times)

Offline winston

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Cannot find my gt gt grandfather's birth
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 07 June 09 19:06 BST (UK) »
HI

I have sent you Personal message to Emp1603 as the info I am about to post can't be seen on Roots due to copyright Issues

Wendy
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Blakeley in Batley West Yorks
Turner in Hanging Heaton West Yorkshire
Dann last known area Soothill West Yorks
Hirst in Hanging heaton W Yorks
Moss in Morley and Leeds
Parker in Morley W Yorks
Parker in Hull E Yorks
Tilburns in Morley W Yorks

Offline emp1603

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 08 June 09 14:30 BST (UK) »
Hi Ambly
Thanks for your info.  I will have a look at the site you mentioned.  George the son's birth is shown as Newton Abbot same as his father James (or George) which is in Kent.  Esther M Blood must have known he was about in 1907 as he is listed on Esther M (the daughter's) marriage certificate of which I have a copy but as I can't understand why he has his name as George when her birth certificate says James?   I know from my mum there was talk of a half sister but she thought is was Rachael but it may be when she was told about as a little girl she got confused and it was actually Clara who was the half sister.  Thanks for all your help.  Still stuck with the problem of finding James Blood's birth info so I might have been able to track him through the other censuses. 
Regards Elaine

Offline emp1603

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 08 June 09 14:34 BST (UK) »
Hi modem
According to James marriage certificate to Esther M Blood his father's name is also James Blood.  The 1881 census shows his birth place as Newton Abbot, Devon but can't find anything in the indexes.  Have to see if I can find a marriage of James Blood (senior) in the Newton Abbot area. 

Offline angelfish58

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Grandma & Grandad married 23 Aug 1918
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 08 June 09 15:38 BST (UK) »
The first FreeBMD entry for Blood in Devon is for William Richard Blood born DecQ1879 StokeD 5b (it looks like 326 on the image) followed by by his death in the same quarter (DecQ 1879 StokeD 5b 242), as Esthers birth is the next entry this might be a brother so it might be interesting to get his certs and see what they say.
Watson, Snowball, Pyburn, Heppell, Ferry, Holmes, Clennett, Kidd, Pescod, Bage Co.Duham & Northumberland
Stockton, Watson, Bage, Nellist N. Yorks
Challnor/Challoner Cheshire/Shropshire. Moore, Mansell: Wellington, Shropshire
Davies/ David, Coity, Glamorgan
Census information is Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline jorose

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 08 June 09 18:01 BST (UK) »
The Irish registration indexes do show a Rachel Blood born there in 1883 (http://search.labs.familysearch.org/recordsearch/ ), who could have been the "half" sister your mother remembered. The split between James and Esther probably happened sometime 1883-1891? Maybe earlier

Probably the "George" on the marriage certificate was a mistake as Esther Jr may not have known/remembered her father very well, and she did have a brother named George.

Probably the best thing to do would be to try and look at army records. Best to actually go to the NA as there are issues with exactly what his name was - but you do have his regiment (I think 1/13th = 13th Light Infantry = Somerset Light Infantry, but army records are not my speciality so best to doublecheck that).  If you couldn't find his discharge papers you might still be able to track him in muster rolls etc.

The other set of records, probably at the LMA, would be the records for the school that Esther Jr and Rachel were at in 1891. It would be useful to know when they entered the school as that will give you some more information about the family's whereabouts between 1881 (1883?) and 1891. If you're very lucky there might be some information about family circumstances/location of parents.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline emp1603

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 08 June 09 18:32 BST (UK) »
Thanks Jorose will have a go using your suggestions.