Author Topic: Address in Hull?  (Read 3110 times)

Offline Rena

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copyright: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Address in Hull?
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 07 June 09 13:47 BST (UK) »
Just a thought; I don't know what occupation your ancestor had but one way of earning more money was to join the part time Territorial Army.   If your grandfather had been in the Territorial Army prior to the Great War 1915, he might have been away from home on a training course.    I was lucky enough to find most of my grandfather's army records which showed he was in the Hull Territorials in 1911 and had been sent up to Newcastle for a week's training with the Northumbrian Field Ambulances, then in 1913 he was away from his family for 2 weeks training in Redcar.

Good Luck,
Rena
Aberdeen: Findlay-Shirras,McCarthy: MidLothian: Mason,Telford,Darling,Cruikshanks,Bennett,Sime, Bell: Lanarks:Crum, Brown, MacKenzie,Cameron, Glen, Millar; Ross: Urray:Mackenzie:  Moray: Findlay; Marshall/Marischell: Perthshire: Brown Ferguson: Wales: McCarthy, Thomas: England: Almond, Askin, Dodson, Well(es). Harrison, Maw, McCarthy, Munford, Pye, Shearing, Smith, Smythe, Speight, Strike, Wallis/Wallace, Ward, Wells;Germany: Flamme,Ehlers, Bielstein, Germer, Mohlm, Reupke

Offline lesleyhannah

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 07 June 09 15:24 BST (UK) »
Unfortunately, there was another family in 14 Wells St, so the mystery remains for the time being.  There are family hints (rather than actual stories) that there was some sort of split between ggf and his wife before his death. I suppose I was hoping to find some painted Jezebel in 14 Wells Street to confirm the hints!!!!

My gfather was the informant at the death. It was the year before he married my Nan, and the address he gives is 811 Hessle Road. I was hoping to find he was living there in 1901 but haven't been able to find the address - unless I'm doing something wrong I can only find numbers up to the 200s in Hessle Road.

Thanks for your interest - if you have any suggestions about Hessle Road I'll be glad to try them out. Am still hopeful I might find something - I just wish it wasn't so expensive to make mistakes in 1911.

Offline Evie

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barnaby
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 07 June 09 16:12 BST (UK) »
Hi

Are you reluctant to give details of your g grandfather? Maybe we can help to find him for you? You could always PM us if you don't want to put his name up on the thread, but the more people that see it the more chance someone may find him. :)

Evie

Booth, Hornsby, Northumberland & Durham
Jackson, Northumberland & Durham
Douthwaite, N Yorks & Durham
Geldard, N Yorks
Ward, Cheshire & W Yorks
Swallow, Boid, W Yorks
Kirby, Lowe, Studholme, Geary, Emery, Baldock

census info is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline lesleyhannah

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 07 June 09 17:17 BST (UK) »
No, I just haven't considered asking for lookups in 1911! His name was David Macdougal born 1855 in Scotland - although the rest of the family is transcribed as something like Macdongal (I don't have the site open at the moment). The one Macdougal family I can find in Hull is my granddad's brother Thomas but his father is not living with him. My granddad, John, born 1883 in Scotland, did work abroad for some time, so that could explain his absence from the census.

The name is spelt in different ways, even within the family, but the transcription errors add to the problems. I'm sure David was there somewhere, and I'd love to find him! The Hessle Rd address is a mystery - could be granddad and his father were living together somewhere.

Again, thanks Evie.
Lesley

Offline Evie

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barnaby
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 07 June 09 17:31 BST (UK) »
Hi Lesley

You are correct Lesley, we are not to ask for look ups as such for 1911, but I will see what I can find for 1901 or anything else I can see.

Evie
Geldard, N Yorks
Ward, Cheshire & W Yorks
Swallow, Boid, W Yorks

Offline Evie

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barnaby
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 07 June 09 17:37 BST (UK) »
Hi

Was your g grandmother called Sarah, if so I have found the family in 1901 Hessle. Do you have access to the census or do you have the 1901?

Evie
Geldard, N Yorks
Ward, Cheshire & W Yorks
Swallow, Boid, W Yorks

Offline lesleyhannah

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 07 June 09 19:26 BST (UK) »
Yes, thanks, I do have the 1901 census - the first after they left Scotland. Sarah was my ggm. I found her in 1911 (Macdongle I think it's transcribed as) living with some of her children. It's just her husband who seems to have disappeared. Very odd! But I think it's true of many families - you didn't wash your dirty linen in public, as my Nan would say. I remember as a child the grown-ups would go into the kitchen and start whispering when they didn't want us children to hear. So that's why my research has been full of surprises!

Offline Evie

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barnaby
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 07 June 09 19:42 BST (UK) »
Hi Lesley

As a chemist, druggist [David] have you tried looking for him in some trade directories after 1901. Unfortunately I have no access to them. Also I noticed John was a commercial traveller of some description but I have done various searches in 1911 and only found one John Macdougall in Kent but the way I looked at it, he seemed to be married with a family. I didn't check to see if he was a commercial traveller. He wasn't married twice by any chance?

I agree my research would be so much easier without all these family secrets ::)

Evie
Geldard, N Yorks
Ward, Cheshire & W Yorks
Swallow, Boid, W Yorks

Offline lesleyhannah

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Monday 08 June 09 08:03 BST (UK) »
I did find David in one trade directory a few years ago - again a surprise, as we'd believed he had his own pharmacy, but was working as an assistant.

The John in Kent wouldn't have been my granddad.  However I know he spent some time working on passenger ships and also lived abroad for a few years, so I'm not too worried about his absence. Granddad was a bit of a wanderer, and did a number of different jobs in his life - I think the comercial traveller thing only lasted a few years!

I appreciate the trouble you have taken. Often someone else can see the obvious that you miss yourself,

Off to the dentist now!