Author Topic: Toxteth Cemetery mode of burial....Completed  (Read 6846 times)

Offline liverbird09

• RootsChat Veteran
  • socken
    • View Profile
Toxteth Cemetery mode of burial....Completed
« on: Sunday 07 June 09 13:26 BST (UK) »
This may have been discussed before but I couldn't see it.

We found a burial register for a relative in Toxteth Park cemetery L'pool, which stated the mode of burial as freehold. Some others were public or subsequent.

Does anyone know what is the difference?

Offline Steve G

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My Maternal Great Gran ~ Polly Burge
    • View Profile
Re: Toxteth Cemetery mode of burial
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 11 July 09 13:52 BST (UK) »
I've just come across this while cruising the posts at ransom ~some fascinating stuff to be found!  ;)

Just a hunch but; " Public " suggests a Paupers burial. I believe I read somewhere how eg. Someone who died alone, in a council property, with no known relatives would be cremated by the council, who'd send their professional mourner along to see the deceased off ~ save the situation of absolutely no one being there. Might a Public plot not be similar?

" Subsequent " seems rather self explanatory; The word means 'following' or 'secondary', doesn't it? 'Others afterwards'? So; Second hand ground. Probably effected by a Lease. Ye pay the lease for, say 100 years. Then they leave ye alone for 100 years before popping in a subsequent burial.

Which pretty much explains Freehold. Ye buy the Freehold of the plot and that's it. It's your bit of ground and they respect ye property rights in perpetuity and leave ye well alone.

Not claiming certain knowledge of any of this. But that's just how it sounds to me. Maybe there's some points there to springboard off into a search of Google?  :)
GAITES (Alverstoke / Bath Pre 1850)
CURTIS (Portsmouth & 1800's Berkshire).
BURGE (Dorset, Somerset and Hampshire)
HUNTLEY (Dorset, Hampshire, Sussex, 'Surroundings')

Offline liverbird09

• RootsChat Veteran
  • socken
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 11 July 09 20:22 BST (UK) »
Thanks for your comments.
We pretty much guessed the same.

The freehold grave didn't have a headstone when we went to look, which is always a bit disappointing.

Offline garstonite

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 21 August 09 09:32 BST (UK) »
Hiya Liverbird...I have been to Toxteth Park Cemetery a couple of times recently and have researched the cemetery online as well...sadly you will find up to10 people buried together within 7 days..these are Communial graves...this was common then because although families could afford a burial ..they couldn`t afford their own Plot...I have seen 75 yr old and 3 month old complete strangers buried together....try this site and if you trawl around you will find these types of burial...
www.toxtethparkcemetery.co.uk  good site..if you scroll down to INDEXES you click on and then type in the surname...this gives the grave number in Blue ...click on this and you will see who is buried in that grave....as I say...up to 10 people

Paupers were when NO family was found and you were interned in common ground...hope this helps...allan ;)
oakes,liverpool..neston..backford..poulton cum spittal(bebington)middlewich,cheshire......   sacht,helgoland  .......merrick,herefordshire adams,shropshire...tipping..ellis..  jones,garston,liverpool..hartley.dunham massey..barker. salford

Offline liverbird09

• RootsChat Veteran
  • socken
    • View Profile
Re: Toxteth Cemetery mode of burial....Completed
« Reply #4 on: Friday 21 August 09 20:41 BST (UK) »
Hi garstonite,

Thanks for all that info. Life's hard and then you die, it certainly was tough then.
I have used that site in the past but didn't find the person I was looking for, I don't think they had the particular year I was looking up. That's why I went to the record office to find her in the register.
I'll give it another coat of looking at, as I suppose they are adding to it all the time and I still have to find her husband who died much later.

Thanks for being really helpful.
Jean

Offline JanJohnson

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 03 October 09 11:25 BST (UK) »
I've been looking at Manchester Burial records and have one of my realtives mode of burial is "re-opening".  Any ideas about what that means.  A relative was buried there over 30 years earlier but no one inbetween.

Thanks

Offline Steve G

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My Maternal Great Gran ~ Polly Burge
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 03 October 09 13:38 BST (UK) »
 I believe that relates to 'reopening' a grave to put another in there. They'll do the same for ashes, actually  :)
GAITES (Alverstoke / Bath Pre 1850)
CURTIS (Portsmouth & 1800's Berkshire).
BURGE (Dorset, Somerset and Hampshire)
HUNTLEY (Dorset, Hampshire, Sussex, 'Surroundings')

Offline diggerman2

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 06 October 09 07:30 BST (UK) »
I work in a Cemetery , and yes a "re-open" grave IS a grave that is being opened for the 2nd or 3rd (or more) time.
Also , from time to time , i have a burial that is paid for by the state - which IS known as a "public" plot/grave.
These graves (public) DO include ppl that are not related to one another , and also a memorial is normally not permitted - because nobody has actually purchased the rights of burial.