Author Topic: Check the original records  (Read 12257 times)

Offline kerryb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Check the original records
« Reply #9 on: Monday 08 June 09 11:06 BST (UK) »
Hi, List, it can be difficult checking the original PR, for some distance, etc, I have microfiche of originals and they are almost impossible to read,I also have photocopies of other documents, the earliest 1690, to someone experienced maybe they are easy, it can also become expensive, the only thing i have plenty of is time, but the search of originals is well worth it and it "clothes" those bones. Clive

Important point but I always double check as much as is possible within the bounds of possibility if you get what I mean.  I love clothing the bones and that is a great phrase!

Kerry
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Searching for my family - Baldwin - Sussex, Middlesex, Cork, Pilbeam - Sussex, Harmer - Sussex, Terry - Surrey, Kent, Rhoades - Lincs, Roffey - Surrey, Traies - Devon & Middlesex & many many more to be found on my website ....

Offline stonechat

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 08 June 09 12:52 BST (UK) »
I agree

I live in the the South and can check my Surrey records and have checked Berkshire and Huntingdonshire. Have not checked enough of the Northants records, or any of my Herefordshire records (Dad's side)

As for  my mother's side with Cheshire Lancashire and Yorkshire - well not much.
I looked at an LDS film of the 18th C PRs and they were hardly readable because 1)the quality of reproduction 2) the original was not clear.

I have some transcriptions but obviously there is a problemwith the originals

Bob

Douglas, Varnden, Joy(i)ce Surrey, Clarke Northants/Hunts, Pullen Worcs/Herefords, Holmes Birmingham/USA/Canada/Australia, Jackson Cheshire/Yorkshire, Lomas Cheshire, Lee Yorkshire, Cocks Lancashire, Leah Cheshire, Cook Yorkshire, Catlow Lancashire
See my website http://www.cotswan.com

Offline Sylviaann

• I am sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Isabella Barette
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 08 June 09 15:19 BST (UK) »
You can look at microfilm of parish records at your nearest LDS centre.  They charge a very small amount to order the film.    See the familysearch site to find your nearest one.

Sylviaann
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Norfolk: Gooch, Loveday, Lake, Betts
Suffolk: Gooch, Crosby, Turner
Hampshire: Laws, Burrows
Kent: Beer
Jersey: Barette, de Gruchy
East London: Middleton, Gower, O'Farrell, Smith, Weston

Offline charlotteCH

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Genealogy's worth chatting about.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 08 June 09 19:27 BST (UK) »
Sylviaann, I think we all agree with you... that is the point we are making.
Either buy the fiche or check the films or fiche at the Localk LDS centre.  None of us mentioned the LDS FHCs but that's where we'd be going unless it's other libaries.

charlotte

Offline clivealbert

• RootsChat Senior
  • First meeting with granddaughter
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 09 June 09 09:41 BST (UK) »
Hi, again There can be mistakes in any document you look at. In ancestry 1861 census,my gt.gt. granfather is married to his daughter, and his wife is 7 months old !, also in the 1891 census the same man,s birth place is Rotbington, find that if you can? even the man who filled in the parish register could have had a glass to many of holy communion wine. So in all truth can it be said that there is always an element of doubt? Best wishes Clive
marshall, reynolds ,cockayne, parrot ,friend,hayman.bielby,carr,Dobbs,Jeffries,Dear,Spink,Henshaw,Crump

Offline charlotteCH

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 09 June 09 11:13 BST (UK) »
 Clive says there is always some element of doubt and  we need to judge the best was to minimize this element.
There is a difference between transcriptions such as are placed on pay to view sites and one looking for oneself at the films/fiche of the original records.  Of course the original records can have errors- boozed up clerk, someone overstating his occupation etc... but these are more reliable than the transcriptions.
So it become a matter of judgement and cross checking.

charlotte

Offline kaydoubleu27

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 09 June 09 11:15 BST (UK) »
Hi Clive

I agree with you, in the 1891 census for a line of my family Percy was a daughter, Mercy was down as Marcy and was a son - Twice! And Albert had a totally obscure name (tho that might have been the family re-naming him). My reaction was that the enumerator should have taken more water with it!

Kim
Murphy - Yorkshire (mainly Goole), Guernesy & Ireland
Ward, Broadhead, Laverack, Duckels, Skelton, Williamson, Crowther, Lambert, Clark - Yorkshire
Smart, Dalton - Yorkshire & Lincolnshire
Bradley - Kent
Deamen - Wiltshire
Shave - Dorset

Offline charlotteCH

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 09 June 09 11:37 BST (UK) »
Hi Kim,
You picked up the errors because you had cross checking  with other reliable sources I assume-

charlotte

Offline kaydoubleu27

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 09 June 09 11:44 BST (UK) »
Hi Charlotte

Well, I assume the birth records are correct, unfortunately my resources don't stretch to getting certs for anyone other than my direct line  >:(

Are there other ways of cross checking? I am relatively new to genealogy and always welcome any hints and tips!

Kim
Murphy - Yorkshire (mainly Goole), Guernesy & Ireland
Ward, Broadhead, Laverack, Duckels, Skelton, Williamson, Crowther, Lambert, Clark - Yorkshire
Smart, Dalton - Yorkshire & Lincolnshire
Bradley - Kent
Deamen - Wiltshire
Shave - Dorset