Author Topic: Check the original records  (Read 12283 times)

Online coombs

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Research the dead....forget the living.
    • View Profile
Re: Check the original records
« Reply #54 on: Sunday 14 June 09 17:18 BST (UK) »
Check and recheck is the only way to be fairly certain, but which standard of proof should be use; that used in civil law, i.e. on the balance of probability; or that used in criminal law, i.e beyond a reasonable doubt?

With genealogy we often have to go one the balance of probabilities and the likeliest. Some things can only be proven beyond reasonable doubt. If we have strong evidence that builds up to very, very likely than that is what we have to go on as in genealogy 100% is often hard to achieve.

Ben
Researching:

LONDON, Coombs, Roberts, Auber, Helsdon, Fradine, Morin, Goodacre
DORSET Coombs, Munday
NORFOLK Helsdon, Riches, Harbord, Budery
KENT Roberts, Goodacre
SUSSEX Walder, Boniface, Dinnage, Standen, Lee, Botten, Wickham, Jupp
SUFFOLK Titshall, Frost, Fairweather, Mayhew, Archer, Eade, Scarfe
DURHAM Stewart, Musgrave, Wilson, Forster
SCOTLAND Stewart in Selkirk
USA Musgrave, Saix
ESSEX Cornwell, Stock, Quilter, Lawrence, Whale, Clift
OXON Edgington, Smith, Inkpen, Snell, Batten, Brain

Offline stoney

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Mum, bless her!
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: Sunday 14 June 09 18:35 BST (UK) »
I'm in possesion of my parents official certificate of marriage - and it contains serious mistakes - like the fact my father gave a false name and changed his father's name, too, to cover his tracks!

Good job he eventually made a confession (of the "death bed" variety) - I'd have been seriously barking up a number of wrong (family) trees!

You see, you can't even trust the documents! So, heaven knows what tales our living elderly relatives might tell us!

Stoney
Beattie, Beveridge, Carson, Davidson, Hounam, Johnston,  Purdon, Rae, Stevenson, - Scotland.  Brown, Bulman, Cooke, Harding, Meyers, Osborne, Routledge - England

Offline Redroger

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dad and Fireman at Kings Cross 13.7.1951
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: Monday 15 June 09 15:37 BST (UK) »
Thanks Ben, and Stoney your father's death bed confession has something of a ring of my 2GGFs baptism, if it is him.At Henstridge Somerset, a woman Betty Meatyard, had two sons  both bastards baptised as John within a week of each other. In one of the baptisms the John was followed by the surname Luffman which had then been scored out. I was told at SRO that this crossing out of a surname was a device used by the vicar when he knew or thought he knew the identity of the father, which was a useful lead as there was only one Luffman family in the village, and they had one unmarried son around 20. It has recently been suggested on this site that the deletion of a surname may have been done by the putative father if he was denying paternity and possible payment. It has also just occurred to me that there might have been 2 women named Betty Meatyard who both had sons baptised within a week of each other, seems unlikely, but why should a mother have 2 sons baptised John when both were living?  She never claimed from the parishfor most of her children. Any suggestions welcomed!
Ayres Brignell Cornwell Harvey Shipp  Stimpson Stubbings (all Cambs) Baumber Baxter Burton Ethards Proctor Stanton (all Lincs) Luffman (all counties)

Offline Peterpimlico

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: Thursday 06 August 09 20:20 BST (UK) »
I would just like to add to the comments re checking the original documents. We must remember there are three sources for "original" BMD information. 1. IGI (must be checked against another source) 2. Bishop's Transcripts (which are on occasion more accurate than the actual register). 3. The actual register (which often differs from the BT). I have in the past found entried in a BT that are not in the PR and vice versa.
Regards......................Peter       

Offline eadaoin

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Reilg Chill Barróg
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: Thursday 06 August 09 21:38 BST (UK) »
Our marriage Cert has the wrong date (only by 3 weeks, but still...)

OH's mother's Death Cert has the wrong age - she lopped 4 years off.

My sister is known by a different name (the priest was deaf - and my parents called her by the name they had wanted, not her official name).

That's without going back more than one generation - dear knows what other stuff is wrong!

eadaoin
Begg - Dublin, Limerick, Cardiff
Brady - Dublin
Breslin - Wexford, Dublin
Byrne - Wicklow
O'Hara - Wexford, Kingstown
McLoghlin - Roscommon
Lawlor - Meath, Dublin
Lynam - Meath and Renovo, Pennsylvania
Everard - Meath
Fagan - Dublin
Meyler/Myler - Wicklow
Gray - Derry, Waterford
Kavanagh - Limerick

Offline stonechat

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: Thursday 06 August 09 22:33 BST (UK) »
In a similar vein my gt gt granfather's baptism shows the wrong mother's name.
His sibling all have parents as James Douglass and Mary, but he has James Douglass and Elizabeth.

Relationships on Censuses support that he is who I think. And trees drawn up by my grandfather show what I think too. This was my grandfather's own grandather.
Douglas, Varnden, Joy(i)ce Surrey, Clarke Northants/Hunts, Pullen Worcs/Herefords, Holmes Birmingham/USA/Canada/Australia, Jackson Cheshire/Yorkshire, Lomas Cheshire, Lee Yorkshire, Cocks Lancashire, Leah Cheshire, Cook Yorkshire, Catlow Lancashire
See my website http://www.cotswan.com

Offline Redroger

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dad and Fireman at Kings Cross 13.7.1951
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: Friday 07 August 09 18:25 BST (UK) »
My wife's birth certificate has her born two days later than she was. There is a handwritten correction on it! Apparently her father was so excited he got in a total muddle and gave the wrong date. When her brother was born 3 years later her mother made she she registered the birth herself!
Ayres Brignell Cornwell Harvey Shipp  Stimpson Stubbings (all Cambs) Baumber Baxter Burton Ethards Proctor Stanton (all Lincs) Luffman (all counties)

Offline portybelle

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: Friday 22 April 11 09:04 BST (UK) »
I've found quite a lot of useful information on the IGI recently - or at least I hope it is, reading the above I'm not sure! As someone relatively new to using IGI can someone tell me this: if I find a record on IGI does that mean I should be able to find a corresponding OPR on Scotland's People?
East Lothian/Midlothian
Cowe, Cameron, Storie/Storey, Powell,
McCaskell, Kane/Cain, Howden, Duncan

For OH: East Lothian Ayrshire
Baird, Kyle, Reilly, Routledge
Mackie,Wallace, Wood, Dickson, Burrell, Brown, Darling

Offline Flattybasher9

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Manners cost nothing, and are worth the effort.
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: Friday 22 April 11 09:21 BST (UK) »
"My wife's birth certificate has her born two days later than she was."

My birth certificate states that I was born in October, but the birth was registered/signed and dated  two months previously in August. (Both the same year) Oops!!

Regards

Malky