Author Topic: 1911 census transcripts - waste of money ?  (Read 3237 times)

Offline kerryb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: 1911 census transcripts - waste of money ?
« Reply #9 on: Monday 08 June 09 13:16 BST (UK) »
I must be lucky then, no mistranscriptions amongst my lot and I never bothered with the 10 credit transcriptions from the start.  I wanted the images so it seemed a duplicate to get transcript as well.  ::)

Kerry
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Searching for my family - Baldwin - Sussex, Middlesex, Cork, Pilbeam - Sussex, Harmer - Sussex, Terry - Surrey, Kent, Rhoades - Lincs, Roffey - Surrey, Traies - Devon & Middlesex & many many more to be found on my website ....

Offline Nick29

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 08 June 09 14:39 BST (UK) »
You must be lucky.   Had I not known my grandfather's address from my mother's marriage certificate, I would not have found the family using the name search facility.  Fortunately they have an address search too.

RIP 1949-10th January 2013

Best Wishes,  Nick.

Offline kerryb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 08 June 09 14:59 BST (UK) »
You're right, address searches are very useful.  The only surprises I had were that my great grandfather was onboard a ship as a Boy Class in the Navy.  Nobody knew!  And the family of one of my other great grandfather's had 5 more children than I knew about all born and died between census records.  Terribly useful thing that question about how many children the marriage had produced.

Kerry

Searching for my family - Baldwin - Sussex, Middlesex, Cork, Pilbeam - Sussex, Harmer - Sussex, Terry - Surrey, Kent, Rhoades - Lincs, Roffey - Surrey, Traies - Devon & Middlesex & many many more to be found on my website ....

Offline Necromancer

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I've updated my profile ......
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 08 June 09 15:11 BST (UK) »
Quote from: Nick99
I think the contract between FindMyPast and the National Archives runs until 2011, so Ancestry won't be doing it until then.

where was that from ?

Offline davidft

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 08 June 09 15:21 BST (UK) »
In my opinion transcripts are not a waste of money but I do feel they should only be bought when you are uncertain you have the right family. If you are sure you have the right family then, if you can afford it, I would say you are always better off getting the actual record for the extra information it contains.

I know there are mistranscriptions on the 1911 but lets be honest there are on all censuses whoever transcribes them and most people seem to agree tha of all the major providers ancestry has by far the worse transcriptions.

I think how people react to FindMyPast determines whether they will take on transcription errors or not. Personally the transcription errors I have requested have been done and I have also been refunded the cost of abortive transcripts bought because of their mistakes.

I thing it is wrong to transcribe the people who transcribe the records as "stupid" and worse. The transcriptions were done as I understand it in the Phillipines. I wonder how people here would get on transcribing Phillipino records.

Finally I think a lot of the descent will subside once the 1911 is available on subscription.
James Stott c1775-1850. James was born in Yorkshire but where? He was a stonemason and married Elizabeth Archer (nee Nicholson) in 1794 at Ripon. They lived thereafter in Masham. If anyone has any suggestions or leads as to his birthplace I would be interested to know. I have searched for it for years without success. Thank you.

Offline Nick29

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 08 June 09 17:15 BST (UK) »
I thing it is wrong to transcribe the people who transcribe the records as "stupid" and worse.

Good job nobody did then !  ::)   I said that the people were dim to have made so many stupid errors. 

The transcriptions were done as I understand it in the Phillipines. I wonder how people here would get on transcribing Phillipino records.

That is truly irrelevant !  They shouldn't employ people who are not up to the task.  They're charging full whack for this service..... I want value for money !

Finally I think a lot of the descent will subside once the 1911 is available on subscription.

Well, maybe it will - but it won't make the people any easier to find.

I previously posted a link to a FOI request (deleted for some reason) about FindMyPast / BrightSolids contract with the National Archives & 'exclusivity' - basically, the Nat Archives dont enter into such arrangements, and when BS complete and return the raw data, 1911 is up for grabs for other commercial parties....

http://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/contract_with_find_my_past_limit

as Ricky shows in his correspondence with Ancestry, they have other priorities at present - so only time will tell ....

The reply was rather misleading - at first glance it appears that Brightsolid's images would be made available to all - or did they just mean that the actual documents will be available to anyone who wants to go through the whole photography, transcription and database process again ?  If it's the latter, I'm not surprised that Ancestry don't want to touch it yet.  Ancestry have probably realised that they can make more out of the digitisation of the LMA records anyway, because the 1911 census has limited appeal.  I've just about run out of people to look up on it.

RIP 1949-10th January 2013

Best Wishes,  Nick.

Offline kerryb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 08 June 09 17:28 BST (UK) »
I agree that the 1911 has limited appeal, how many people didn't manage to spend all their ppvs?

Kerry

Offline Necromancer

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 08 June 09 17:29 BST (UK) »
The reply was rather misleading - at first glance it appears that Brightsolid's images would be made available to all - or did they just mean that the actual documents will be available to anyone who wants to go through the whole photography, transcription and database process again ?

not misleading at all, seems perfectly clear.

However, all National Archives digitisation licenses are non-exclusive, and once the raw document images are deposited with The National Archives they will be available for re-sale to other genealogy publishers.

Offline Necromancer

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Monday 08 June 09 17:30 BST (UK) »
Quote from: Nick99
I think the contract between FindMyPast and the National Archives runs until 2011, so Ancestry won't be doing it until then.

where was that from ?

asking again, as it seems to contradict the FOI info .....