Author Topic: LOWTHER family of Orcheston St George  (Read 16235 times)

Offline eadygirl

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: LOWTHER family of Orcheston St George
« Reply #9 on: Monday 28 December 09 07:40 GMT (UK) »
Hi Debra,

Thanks so much for all that Lowther/Dundee info!  I've just finished cobbling it to our Lowther tree which is going to get completely confusing with first cousins marrying.  It's a really interesting family and I'd love to know just what motivated them to come to Australia from what seems like a very comfortable life in Orcheston.  I know that our Gorges came here as a magistrate for a short time, perhaps to further his career with a far flung posting? I did some research at the archives in Melbourne and have a lot of info on him.  I find it amusing that my own ggg grandfather was eking out a miserable existence at a mine in Gorges magistrates patch.

What of the Dundee family?  What was Frank's occupation and where had he/parents come from? 

I tackled thepeerage.com some months ago and drew up a family tree based on its written lineage of the Lowthers. I ended up sticking together about 5 A4 sheets which makes it more readable but a daunting task to transfer. I keep getting it out and putting it away again. Def. one for a rainy day!

Look forward to hearing from you,
thanks again!
cheers, Liz
Dann - Hunts, Cambs, Lancs, Australia and NZ
Menzies - Perthshire, Australia and NZ
Hind - Lincs, Yorks, Australia
Manton - Lincs, London, Chile, Mauritius, Australia
Lowther - Wilts, Australia
Noy - Cornwall, Australia
Edwards & Davies - South Wales
Nowlan & McHale - Carlow and c.Mayo Ireland, and Carisbrook Vic,Australia

Online Dundee

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 28 December 09 13:59 GMT (UK) »
Hi Liz,  When Rev. William St G Lowther emigrated with his family in 1882 he was Rector of St George in Cardiff, Wales.  There might be some more info in his obit when it comes online, but I know of other clergymen around that time who were invited by the church to settle in Australia.  As for Frank Dundee, he came out alone in 1887, aged 20 - he had cousins who were starting to take up land and settle in Tasmania so I think he just followed them out.  They were all young men, well connected but not well heeled, and they saw a better future here than in England.  They came from a strong military background on both sides of the family, but were the first generation to go for something different.

The surname is Dundee - Frank was given Claverhouse as a middle name, and sometimes hyphenated the two, but this was just an affectation. ::)  The family's origins were French, the name originally being Donde, with not a drop of Scots blood in sight.

(My great grandparents - Dundee George was Frank's cousin)
https://200years.auspost.com.au/html/loan/archive/view_photo/844/page/1

I have been having a look at the Lowther lineage and the best that I have found on the net which seems to bring everything else I have found together is at http://www.stirnet.com/main/index.php?option=com_wrapper&Itemid=79&startUrl=http://www.stirnet.com/HTML/genie/british/ll/lowther3.htm  You can pay to have access to the info, but if you are really quick you can copy and paste before the main screen goes off (don't tell them I said that!)  In particular this bit:

"Gorges Lowther of Kilrue, later of Hampton Hall (b 1769, d 23.02.1854)   BLG1952 mentions only Gorges's marriage to (and children by) Julia Huntingford but, apart from a later marriage, BLG1886 also reports a first marriage to ...   m1. (1791) Catherine Adeline Pauline de Mont Brison (d 05.03.1792, dau of Cayent de Mont Brison)   (a) Gorges Paulin Lowther (b 25.02.1792, rector of Orcheston, prebendary of Salisbury)    (BLG = Burke's Landed Gentry)"

Catherine died shortly after Gorges was born, and then his father remarried to Julia. You would have to follow this up and confirm it to make sure you have the right mother.  Gorges' 3rd wife was also named Julia (Trevelyan) and you will find them at Hampton Hall on the 1851 census.  He says he is 66, when he was actually 82.  ;D

Debra

Offline Joelle

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 13 May 10 02:09 BST (UK) »
My name is Joelle - my father's sister married Henry Trevor Dundee, who was the son of Frank Robert Claverhouse Dundee.  I have been researching the Dundees for a while and have heaps of information.  They are an intriguing family.  If you want more information, please email me because its too much to include here.

Moderator Comment: email address removed as per RootsChat Policy. Please use our secure PM (personal message) system to share email addresses and other personal information. Thank You.

New members need to make 3 postings before the PM system is fully functional

Online Dundee

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 14 May 10 11:55 BST (UK) »
Hi Joelle,

Great to hear from you, especially as I didn't know about Henry! My gg grandmother was Harriet DUNDEE, daughter of William DUNDEE and Elizabeth GIBSON.  I will PM you so that we can exchange info.

Debra

Offline eadygirl

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 18 May 10 04:14 BST (UK) »
Hi Joelle & Debra,

Lovely to hear from you.

I tried to send you a PM (personal message) Joelle but I don't think you can view this until you have logged 3 posts, so get posting!!

all best,
Liz

Offline Joelle

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 18 May 10 04:22 BST (UK) »
Hi Eadygirl,

Thanks for the reply.

I'm new to this site and not sure how to use it properly.  I will post this and then another and see if this helps.
Joelle

Offline Joelle

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 18 May 10 04:23 BST (UK) »
My third posting hopefully.

Offline eadygirl

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 18 May 10 14:00 BST (UK) »
Hi Joelle,

Have your PM and replied to your email address !  Thanks for your message.  Debra might like to join in too! This Lowther/Dundee tree could do with a bit of work!
cheers,
Liz

Offline Polly Ann

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 23 June 10 20:13 BST (UK) »
Hi

I live in Orcheston  and this is a list of Lowther's remembered

Chambre Brabason Ponsonby  -  Rector  -  Memorial
Eliza Sophie Memorial
Frances Memorial
George Memorial
George Gorge Beresford - Memorial
George Pantin Rector

I am sure that this is where some of them are buried. It is just that some of the headstones etc are so badly worn it is difficult to say who is buried there but I will have another go at trying to work out what the headstones say.

I have been trying to make a record of the people who have live in Orcheston and there were gaps for some of the Lowthers but I think i may now be able to fill some of those gaps

Try looking at the website of Mandy and Duncan Ball. They have extensively photographed many of the headstones etc in Wiltshire

St George's church is now redundant and only open occasionally. i was there last Saturday and will be there again in a few weeks when I will have a closer look. From what I can see on the photo I think it says something about being buried in Lisbon but will check it out.

Maureen