Author Topic: searching for JAMES MC GAFFIN, 1923!  (Read 3797 times)

Offline gaffy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: searching for JAMES MC GAFFIN, 1923!
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 06 August 09 18:48 BST (UK) »
Hello there, I'm sorry I can't help you much with your post but I have a photo of the late William junior (William George McGaffin b.1928) showing him and Vaughan in front of a house assumed to be in Mannchester, Connecticut, circa 1932. But before you get excited, I don't have anything more and am as interested as you in the whole story with James etc...

Offline gaithers

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 06 August 09 19:23 BST (UK) »
hi there, thats great if you have a photo of auntie vaughan and uncle billy. i would love to see it if possible. uncle billy died in 2001 and auntie vaughan died in january of this year in banbridge , co. down, where they own a mens and boys clothes outfitters in the town. she was 79.  i have no photos of way back then.......... granda mcgaffin, ie. william thomas, b1900, d1995, age 95 years, had lots of old photos but they all seem to have vanished when he passed away. are you a mcgaffin, and where do you live? thanks for getting in touch. regards, paul.

Offline gaffy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 06 August 09 21:24 BST (UK) »
Hi Paul, the only photo I have is a copy of one named Billy and Vaughan (attached) which I reckon is dated 1931/32.  My name is Colin McGaffin, (*) If this link and photo doesn't fit with your story, then at least I tried... I've pulled the name of Mary Elizabeth McDowell (daughter of Joseph) off the 1911 census (daddy's mother), but there's loads of gaps which I don't understand.

Moderator Comment:
Edited in accordance with RootsChat policy of not publishing details of living people here, or details of people who may still be living. This is to protect all concerned from spam, identity abuse, internet abuse, etc, etc.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

Offline gaffy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 06 August 09 21:38 BST (UK) »
I've trawled thru the photos and the only other one I've found is the attached, taken here I'm guessing around 1955 - suffice to say there's precious few photos of him, despite the fact he was a keen photographer.

Offline Jon_ni

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 24 December 23 11:30 GMT (UK) »
appreciate this is an old post but just to add some further info if others come across as I did.

James McGaffin, aged 26 (Swiss-Embroiderer) and Annie Mary Kennedy, aged 23, both of Bleary, married Knocknamuckley Church of Ireland 26 Oct 1917.
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/marriage_returns/marriages_1917/09759/5542132.pdf

They had 3 children in Ireland a son William John born 11 Mar 1918 at Bleary died 10 Dec 1919 at Infirmary, Lurgan. Plus 2 daughters Sarah Mary 3 Aug 1919 and Annie 31 Jan 1921 both at Bleary.

Wife and daughters emigrated to join James at 350 Forest Avenue on the Columbia departing Londonderry 24 July 1923 https://www.ancestry.com/discoveryui-content/view/47276096:2997
arriving New York 1 Aug 1923 https://www.ancestry.com/discoveryui-content/view/4027841527:7488

1925 they are at 9 Austin Street, Amsterdam https://www.ancestry.com/discoveryui-content/view/15225628:2704

Those details match with his Montgomery declaration of intention 10 Apr 1924 address of 20 Lyon Street, Amsterdam https://www.ancestry.com/discoveryui-content/view/1451370:2361
followed on 3rd page by his Naturalization Petition at Boston 4 Feb 1930 & Oath 30 June 1930 with residence 1639 Concord Street, Saxonville, Middlesex, Massachusetts (residing Middlesex County since July 1928).

Wife + 2 daughters returned to Bleary/Lurgan departing New York and arriving Moville/Londonderry  20 Feb 1927 https://www.ancestry.com/discoveryui-content/view/1692962:1518

younger daughter married 21 Apr 1943 with her sister as witness at St Matthias', Knocknamuckley, Bleary Road, Portadown, Co. Armagh, Northern Ireland
Marriage 21 Apr 1943 of Thomas Wetherall, aged 26, Bachelor (Electrician) of 35 George St, Lurgan & Annie McGaffin, aged 22, Spinster (Swiss Embroiderer) of Bleary. Witnesses = Joshua Leslie Pearson & Sarah Mary McGaffin. [no father's details declared for either (Thomas was illegitimate)]

James McGaffin's birth cert 1 May 1891 at Bleary with middle name of Edward, father James, mother Sarah (nee Campbell). His naturalization papers have DOB as 28 April, his marriage 26 Oct 1916 is a year out.
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/birth_returns/births_1891/02393/1892609.pdf

Offline gaffy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 24 December 23 17:37 GMT (UK) »

... Wife + 2 daughters returned to Bleary/Lurgan departing New York and arriving Moville/Londonderry  20 Feb 1927 https://www.ancestry.com/discoveryui-content/view/1692962:1518

younger daughter married 21 Apr 1943 with her sister as witness at St Matthias', Knocknamuckley, Bleary Road, Portadown, Co. Armagh, Northern Ireland
Marriage 21 Apr 1943 of Thomas Wetherall, aged 26, Bachelor (Electrician) of 35 George St, Lurgan & Annie McGaffin, aged 22, Spinster (Swiss Embroiderer) of Bleary. Witnesses = Joshua Leslie Pearson & Sarah Mary McGaffin. [no father's details declared for either (Thomas was illegitimate)]

James was my grandfather's 1st cousin.  As I understand it, the McGaffin-Kennedy marriage failed and James stayed in the US, later marrying Martha Crager (McMurray) and having several more children with her.  After returning to Bleary in 1927, Annie Mary and the two daughters had disappeared off my radar up to this point, so the marriage of the younger daughter at Knocknamuckley CoI is new information to me.  Thank you for posting this. 

Offline Jon_ni

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 25 December 23 02:08 GMT (UK) »
As I understand it, the McGaffin-Kennedy marriage failed... marriage of the younger daughter at Knocknamuckley CoI is new information to me. Thank you for posting this.
That was my assumption when saw earlier that James had remained rather than died. The daughter's marriage is really where I picked up, having been going sideways and forwards with the husband's surname, a distant cousin. Only looked into the McGaffin's when google produced this Rootschat post when I pasted 'Forest Avenue, Amsterdam, Montgomery' into my search bar to see where it was.

Thomas was born Lurgan 19 Jan 1917 but, presumably with work, at some point they moved to Limavady where Thomas died 15 Dec 2001 aged 84 and Anne 6 Feb 2012 aged 91. They had a son William and a daughter May. William married a divorcee Derry district with one daughter then they had another daughter together and lives in Limavady (electoral rolls). May possibly married when in her 60's. Thomas & Annie were interred in Lurgan Cemetery in a double width plot with new headstone & surround, I happened to photograph it on a visit a few years back.

I looked for a death index entry for Annie McGaffin and did not see one when typing earlier, but there is a 50 year online cut-off on deaths [and 100 on births - I have later transcribed data for Thomas' surname only, from unrestricted BMD index searches conducted in the GRONI office in Belfast].
There is a marriage index entry for a Sarah McGaffin to a John Green in Craigavon district 1947 but also another to a Thomas Frank in Banbridge District same year, the Craigavon (Lurgan) the more likely but the districts ajoin.

Searching the Lurgan Mail on Findmypast/British Newspaper Archive, though with expired subscription so limited to the OCR summaries, Anna Mary was at 78 Russell Drive Lurgan 1970 -1980 and must have had another son William McGaffin post return (wife Maureen).
McGAFFIN memories of a dear son and brother, Willie, died May 10, 1976. Always remembered by his loving mother Anna, and sisters, Sadie and Annie. [7 May 1981 Lurgan Mail]
With a bit of alteration (keyphrase Anna Mary instead) 24 September 1981 Lurgan Mail:
McGAFFIN - September 19 1981 at hospital, Anna Mary in her 87th year, late of 78C Russell Drive, Lurgan formerly Kennedy, Bleary. Dearly loved mother of Sadie, Annie and the late Billy McGaffin. Interred in Knocknamuckley.

Knocknamuckley headstones are on Armagh Family History Group https://www.facebook.com/groups/1102863963062370/media/albums as 439 unindexed photos.

Offline gaffy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 25 December 23 07:34 GMT (UK) »
Thank you again for this. You are right, it was the 1947 Lurgan marriage, it took place in the Union Street Gospel Hall in Lurgan.  The 32 year old groom John Lancelot Green was a bachelor and an electrician by profession, living on the Waringstown Road in Lurgan, the son of James Green a shoemaker. Sarah Mary McGaffin was recorded as a 28 year old spinster living in Bleary, her father given as James McGaffin, a carpet maker, which fits perfectly. Thomas and Annie Wetherall were the witnesses to boot.

Is is good to finally hear what happened to these folk post 1927 and to have it recorded on this topic.  The daughters Sarah Mary and Annie were of course half siblings to James and Martha's children and I imagine it may be of interest to any of their descendents happening upon this topic in the future.