Author Topic: Parish Registers Evercreech - CROSS  (Read 6652 times)

Offline springst

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Parish Registers Evercreech - CROSS
« on: Wednesday 10 June 09 09:37 BST (UK) »
Joseph Cross died in Evercreech Somerset in 1824. He married Mary Boyce of Evercreech, at St Peter, Evercreech on 8/6/1794. I am unable to search the Evercreech Baptimal records from Australia. I would appreciate any help in locating his birth in Evercreech, or nearby Bruton. From his marriage and death records I believe he was born in approximately 1767.

From details in his Will, he had 2 brothers - Osmond and Samuel, and a sister Elizabeth ,who married Thomas Robins of Bruton. His Will also names a surviving uncle - James Cross and sister-inlaw; Maria Gane, as well as a bequest to the Bruton Church (Parish of Evercreech).

Cheers

Offline Jo Harding

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Parish Registers Evercreech - CROSS
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 10 June 09 10:16 BST (UK) »
Hello Springst,

Some of the Somerset Parish Registers are online and can be found on Freereg. http://www.freereg.org.uk

There are a number of CROSS baptisms in Bruton around this time but nothing for Joseph. There is a baptism of a Joseph CROSS in Cucklington in 1768 but that is some distance from there. The PRs for Evercreech do not seem to be on Freereg.

I think that one of the groups may have access to the Evercreech registers and will pursue this, then get back to you.

Jo

Offline krisesjoint

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Its my Party - I can eat cake
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 10 June 09 10:26 BST (UK) »
Hi Springst,

A Big Welcome to RootsChat  ;D

from the marriage record

Joseph CROSS of St Luke Old St Middlesex = Mary BOYCE OTP Spinster by licence 8 June 1794 Evercreech

Cheers Kris  :)
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline springst

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 10 June 09 12:33 BST (UK) »
What a great shame it is that Joseph Cross never left the names of Jo and Kris in his Will. Their almost instant, and helpfull replies, place the seven years of searching for this Will in the correct light.

Thank you Jo, for confirming my thoughts about the availability of Evercreech, and Bruton Parish Registers. I had previously sought to view the Evercreech Parish Registers via the LDS Family History facility in Australia, however they are not available here. Upon receiving your help, I have checked the FREEREG information for Somerset, and found that Bruton is done, however Evercreech is in the process. It is interesting to see the Joseph Cross that you found in Cucklington, which I believe is virtually a suburb of Wincanton. The reason being that this is one of the few areas of Somerset, or for that matter in England, that I have have found references to Osmond Cross.

Kris - you have told me something I already suspected, but could not prove. I knew of Josephs' wedding details, however, I did not know that he was from St Luke, Old St Middlesex. I have suspected that this particular Cross family may have their roots in London. Joseph was a Timber Merchant untill he transferred the business to his brother Samuel in 1831. The business was based at Stangate Wharf in Lambeth. Samuel then carried on the business untill bankruptcy about ten years later. At the time of conducting the business Joseph had a London residence in Vine St, Narrow Wall.

Samue

Offline krisesjoint

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 10 June 09 23:13 BST (UK) »
Hi Samue,

I am afraid I have had no joy either. I had a good look about last night and don't think I have found anything new. Like you I have found references to the name Osmond CROSS in Wincanton. A marriage and 2 burials. (1779 and 1800 - ages not listed) also a birth for Osmond in Shaftsbury Dorset 1739 (son of Osmond) possibly the man who married in Wincanton in 1761. There is mention of an Osmond CROSS a clockmaker in Wincanton 1746-1760. Apart from that there is the burial of an Osmond CROSS in Bruton 26 Jan 1798 aged 14. Seem to be quite a few Cross baptisms in the parish - thought this one looked of interest but alas no luck with a baptism.

This looks like the marriage for Josephs brother, looks a bit late to be the father of young Osmond, but does confirm he was of Bruton.

Osmund CROSS  of Bruton Somerset = Joan HEBDITCH by banns Sherborne Dorset 22 jul 1787 witnesses  John SIMONDS and  Thomas HEBDITCH.

I have had no luck with the others listed in your will, had hoped Thomas Robins of Bruton may have been findable, but alas I can't find that marriage either. I have had no joy finding the Cross name in anything I can access for Evercreech. The other names from your will I have had no luck with either, but by what you say about the London connection I guess events could be anywhere.

Cheers Kris  :)

Offline springst

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 11 June 09 01:33 BST (UK) »
Thanks once again Kris.

I think you are close to the mark with the marriage of Osmond Cross in Sherborne. The clue being the witness Thomas Hebditch.  There seems to be several connections of the Hebditch and Cross families. Firstly, Samuel Cross - brother of Joseph and executor of Josephs' Will refers  to a Mr Hebditch to whom he had lent money in his own Will (1840 Swanage).

Secondly, I have found a Baptism at the Union Chapel Bruton for, "Elizabeth Robins Hebditch" - birth -8/3/1827, Baptism 3/9/1827. Father was Thomas Hebditch and mother, Elizabeth Cross. (In a footnote - maiden name Cross; born in Mill St, Lambeth Walk, inthe Parish of St Marys', Lambeth, in the County of Surrey. This is a three way tie up of the Cross, Robins and Hebditch names. Also Samuel Cross raised his family in Lambeth and some were Baptised at St Marys' including a daughter Elizabeth.

It is difficult to prove the connections, however my best guess is that the Elizabeth Cross mentioned in the Bruton Union Chapel baptism is a niece of Joseph. The other piece of guess work is the link of this Elizabeth Cross to a Will I have found for Elizabeth Robins of Bruton - proved 16/8/1847. The executor of her Will is Thomas Hebditch (husband of her niece Elizabeth Hebditch). The only snag in this assumption is the Will names Elizabeth Robins husband as Charles, not Thomas. Cheers

Offline krisesjoint

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 11 June 09 02:05 BST (UK) »
Hi Samue,

Gets more confusing by the minute doesn't it. There is a marriage of Charles ROBINS in Evercreech 17 Feb 1800 Bachelor by Banns Wife is Elizabeth but alas her surname is PENNY (her status is not provided)

Children
Sarah 1800, Charles 1802, George 1804, Elizabeth 1807, George 1810, William 1815, Ann 1818, James 1820

Possible burial for Charles - 1845 aged 72

Kris  :)

Offline springst

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 12 June 09 06:19 BST (UK) »
Hi Kris,

You are right about the confusion. However out of the chaos you can sometimes find a trail. Along with the personal information supplied by Jo, and your finding of the wedding of Osmond Cross, I think I have found the children of Osmond. Strangely it is via the same common link to the Hebditch family.

The Will of Joseph Cross left money to the two children of his brother - Osmond. Their names were John and Elizabeth Cross. I have found the Will of John Osmond Cross - proved in London, 23/7/1845. The executor of the Will is Thomas Hebditch (builder of Tabernacle Walk, Lambeth), husband of Elizabeth Hebditch, who I believe is John Osmond Cross' sister.

The IGI has a reference for John Osmond Cross - birth, 7/10/1794, christened 26/3/1824, St Giles Cripplegate: Parents; Osmond/Jane.

This Jane could be the Joan Hebditch that Kris found in the wedding of Osmond Cross.

If these findings are correct; it looks like Osmond Cross was living in the vicinity of St Giles Cripplegate, which is the same Church that his brother Samuel was married at on 4/12/1797, to Rachel Elmes of Church Knowle, Dorset. Samuel and Rachel had 9 children, all born in London/Surrey.

Unfortunately this does not resolve the birth place of Joseph, Samuel , Osmond and Elizabeth, but i does fill in a few more pieces of the puzzle.

Cheers

Offline Jo Harding

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 12 June 09 15:33 BST (UK) »
Hello again,

One possible line of enquiry might be to see if there is anything on the Cross family in London in the Guilds and Trades archives. There is a website for carpenters and woodworkers, The Carpenters' Company. http://www.aim25.ac.uk/cats/91/7268.htm

The Guildhall Archive in the City of London kept all the records of the London Guilds and Trades. See Archives for London http://www.archivesforlondon.org/london-for-researchers

An approach might yield something on the Cross woodworkers.

Then there is the Guildhall Library in the City of London website. The link is very lengthy!! It is possible to ask the librarian for holdings on these.

I have found a Joseph CROSS in the 1841 in South Brewham, which is in Bruton parish. He is aged 70 and born in same county. There is an Ann CROSS with him and also aged 70, born in same county. Joseph shown as a pauper which looks unlikely for your ancestor. He could well have been older then 70 in view of the fact ages were rounded to the nearest 5 years.

Searching various sites, the Cross line and names you mention seem to occur in Dorset. Is this feasible?

I have GANE relations and this family were around Somerset, in particular villages near to Shepton Mallet. Downhead church has many GANE graves and monuments.

Jo.