Author Topic: Parish Registers Evercreech - CROSS  (Read 6651 times)

Offline springst

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Parish Registers Evercreech - CROSS
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 13 June 09 09:18 BST (UK) »
Hi Jo

Once again thank you for your effort in helping find my Cross ancestors. I don't think the Joseph you have found is the one who married in Evercreech, as he died in 1824.

You are correct about the Dorset connection. Josephs' brother Samuel died in Swanage Dorset, and he married Rachael Elmes of Church Knowle Dorset. Also as Kris has found, Josephs' other brother married Joan Hebditch in Sherbourne, Dorset.

The Gane connection to Joseph Cross is via his wife Mary Boyce. Mary Boyce had a sister Ann Boyce, who married John Gane in Evercreech, 19/5/1763. They had a daughter Ann Gane, born11/5/1786 in Evercreech. She was named as the niece of Joseph Cross in his Will (1825).

Cheers

Offline springst

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 28 July 09 13:20 BST (UK) »
Hi Everyone,

After some belated research I can confirm that the Thomas Robins referred to at the very start of my request is Charles Robins. I found his Will, which confirms that he married Elizabeth Cross of Bruton. Charles died 4/5/1846 at Bruton. Perhaps his full name was Thomas Charles Robins. I have also found the death certificates of Charles and Elizabeth. Based on their ages on the death certificates, Charles was born 1768 and Elizabeth 1770.

The Will of Charles leaves some money to his friend - William Skinner of Bruton - Minister. Perhaps somebody knows of Mr Skinners history in Bruton?

It would appear that Charles and Elizabeth did not have any children, as there was no mention of them in either of their Wills.

Cheers

Offline springst

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 03 August 09 13:29 BST (UK) »
Hello all

Just another thought. Does anyone have access to the Evercreech Land Tax records. Joseph Cross must have owned the freehold of his residence as he left it to Hannah Burnoll wife of Edward Burnoll, Baker of Wells. Perhaps these tax records have some more info about Joseph.

Cheers

Offline killiekithnkin

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 01 May 10 09:54 BST (UK) »
Hi Kris,

I note your reference to the 1800 marriage of Charles Robins and Elizabeth Penny in Evercreech noted in this thread, and the list of their children. I believe my wife's direct line ancestor John Robins, born Evercreech on 26th July 1812 is also of this marriage.

I am making the assumption that these are all children of that marriage but are you able to confirm that the parish records make it clear that the parents are Charles Robins and Elizabeth Penny, as the IGI records don't give a surname for Elizabeth.

I note the two children named George Robins (born 1804 and 1810) have the same birth date, 19th August, and wonder if there are two records or if one is incorrect. A burial record for George age 3 in 1807 would suggest the 1804 one is at least right.   

Any assistance appreciated.

All the best, David

McMillan Kilmarnock then Glasgow (possibly earlier Mullen)
Johnston Kilmarnock
Wallace Tyrie Paton Kilmarnock
Wilson Stranraer
Bennett London Brighton Glasgow
Welsh Ayrshire Ardrossan Saltcoats West Kilbride
Boyce, Co Down, Girvan, Ardrossan, Saltcoats
Fleck West Kilbride, Stevenson, Ardrossan, Saltcoats
Sellwood, Gloucestershire, then London
Shortland, Gloucestershire area, later London
Hook, Gloucestershire, then London
Coulter, Girvan then Glasgow
Kirkland, Coylton, St Quivox Kirkmichael