Author Topic: ALWAY and GREENLAND early 1800's  (Read 10831 times)

Offline RCB

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
ALWAY and GREENLAND early 1800's
« on: Wednesday 10 June 09 15:44 BST (UK) »
Hello - I'm just trying to tidy up a few loose ends, the families of a couple who crossed the Severn to settle in Newport,  their son even became Mayor of Newport in 1898.
Edwin Greenland married Eleanor Alway in Bath 1842, they already had a son George the eventual mayor, and were living in Newport 1841 census.

With Alway not being that common I think I have just found Eleanors baptism 1817 Bath Abbey, daughter of Richard and Mary, so I'm looking to confirm that.  The 1841 census isn't very helpful, 1851 shows a Richard 64? Mary 53 in Stogursey, a long way from Bath.

Edwin Greenland born about 1815? gives his place of birth as Bath or Keynsham, no idea about parents names.

Yes I could order the marriage certificate, but this isn't direct family, this is one of those off shoots via in-laws.
happy if you can help cheers Fred

Future mayor George Greenland crosses the Severn to marry Helen Simmons in Bath registry office in 1862, so the Greenlands or Alway's? must still be in Bath.

Offline Liz in France

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Alway and Greeenland early 1800's
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 10 June 09 18:31 BST (UK) »
Hi,

Interesting to note that on UKBMD the birth registry for (George) 1839 reads 'Boy son of Edward (Greenland) mmn Alway.  So which is it? Edwin as per the marriage entry in 1842 or Edward?

E

Offline RCB

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 10 June 09 18:48 BST (UK) »
Bonjour Liz in France in my best Del Boy franch.

At least you have George registered he doesn't show Free BMD.  This is them in 1841
1841 census
Address - St Woollos, Newport.
Head -       Edwin Greenland age 26, labourer.
Wife -       Elin (Eleanor) Greenland age 20?(24)
Son -       George Greenland age 20 months.

There is an Edwin's death registered in Bath 1838, I wondered if it was Edwin son of Edwin?

Since I last posted I have found that the Helen Simmonds who marries our George married her cousin?  Helen's mother is Mary Ann Alway, she married John Simmonds 1838 in Bath.  In 1849 a Diana Alway married George Parsons in Bath, so the Alway family were in Bath, but are lost in the census.  mis-spelt or just missed.

Thanks for bothering to look, we've got thunder here in the Forest of Dean, it tripped my electric off about an hour ago. cheers fred

Offline Liz in France

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 10 June 09 19:03 BST (UK) »
Hi Fred,

Your french is as good as mine and if it is any consolation, it is pretty stormy here in SW France too, though not raining at the moment.

It is possible that Edwin was the son of Edwin and Eleanor as it would fit timewise.  There is a birth entry of 4/1839 Bath for Male Greenland at FreeBMD.  They obviously could not think of a name in time.

I have a vague recollection of the name Allways or Always being connected with a photography business in Bath going back more years than I care to remember.

Hope you find what you are looking for.

Best wishes,
Elizabeth

Offline RCB

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 10 June 09 19:13 BST (UK) »
Me again Liz - That recollection of a photography business strikes a chord.  My mother in law, George Greenland was her grandfather, well she has a fantastic family photo album, well it would be fantastic but there is hardly a name to go with any of the photos, all well over a hundred years old, 150 years possibly.  People still do it, don't bother recording names, the occation and place, and then the photo becomes useless.

I was in Normandy looking for a cottage before Christmas, a mate sold his cottage and wants to buy something bigger, you get a lot more for your money in France.  cheers fred

Offline Liz in France

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 10 June 09 22:26 BST (UK) »
Hi Fred,

Quite agree about the photographs.  I have a pile of them taken in a Bath studio and thought I had identified the subjects only to find that another part of the family lived there too.  Now I am totally confused.

With regard to property over here, yes you probably would get more for your money but with the rate of exchange, albeit improving, you will  need a lot more now to buy a property, than a year ago.  Still wouldn't come back though.

Best wishes,
Liz

Offline CharlotteM

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: ALWAY and GREENLAND early 1800's
« Reply #6 on: Monday 27 June 11 17:58 BST (UK) »
I have some more information on George Greenland and would like to know more about the photo album.

This is research I am doing for someone else I would be happy to be e-mailed on

Moderator Comment: email address removed to help prevent spam and other abuses as per RootsChat Policy. Please use our secure PM (personal message) system to share email addresses and other personal information. Thank You.

Note: New members need to make 3 postings before the PM system is fully functional

For Information on How to Send a PM

http://www.rootschat.com/help/pms.php http://www.rootschat.com/help/pms.php

Offline kiwipom

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 28 June 11 08:38 BST (UK) »
There is an Edwin GREENLAND Baptised at St John. Keynshasm 18 March 1807
Parents James and Susannah.

I know there were Greenlands living at Newton St Loe and Keynsham is not that far, I have walked it in the past.

There is also a Baptism for an Eleanor ALWAY baptised at Bath Abbey 20 Oct 1817
Parents Richard and Mary
Father a Butcher living at Orange Court

If this is of any help
TonyE
Evans,  (Marylebone).
Algate,   (Wembury, Plymouth Devon)
Chammings, (Jacobstowe, Hatherleigh, Iddesleigh)
Chummings.  (Jacobstowe, Devon)
Taylor,  (Minterne, Dorset)
Taylor, Ozanne, le Huray.  (Guernsey).
Dunn,    ( North Grimston, Rillington).
Pickering, Forth,  (Crowland, Spalding).
Forth, (Welney, Norfolk)
Roberts.  (Ampthill).
Hippisley,Fry, Dagger.  (Bath,Somerset).
Dyer, White.  (Pontardawe. Bath.)
Rivis, (East Yorks.)
Daly, (Culmullin, Co. Meath)

Offline CharlotteM

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 28 June 11 11:54 BST (UK) »
Thanks, do you have any other children born to Richard and Mary Alway? It is probably the same Eleanor as she married at Bath Abbey and was described as being 82 years old when she died in 1900.