Author Topic: Searching for relatives of Annie PHILLIPS  (Read 1986 times)

Offline Toria

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Searching for relatives of Annie PHILLIPS
« on: Wednesday 10 June 09 21:45 BST (UK) »
I am searching for relatives of my paternal grandmother, Annie Phillips (her single name). She arrived in Sydney from London on the SA Ballarat May 1928.  She was born in Sunderland 17th October 1904 to Sarah (nee Chalk) and David Phillips.  I know she went to Sydney, but do not know what happened to her after that.  The family she left behind have always wondered what happened to her.  I am desperate to fill in the missing part of my family.  When she left for Australia in search of work, she left behind a husband (my grandfather) and a 3 year old son (my father), who never saw her again.  It would be wonderful to solve the mystery.  So far I have drawn a blank.  It would be great if someone could give me a lead.

Many thanks

Toria

Offline tropicalj

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • six grandkids
    • View Profile
Re: Searching for relatives of Annie Phillips
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 10 June 09 22:30 BST (UK) »
Hello  there Toria
and welcome to rootschat

IT  would seem odd that she would have come to Australia by  her self leaving a husband and child behind to look for work.

When  did her husband die?

As you  have not given her married name it is hard to search in NSW for her..

I  do  wonder if  there was more behind her leaving home,  it may have well been for other reasons  that your grandfather may not have wanted to tell a young child.

Are you  sure it is her on  the SA Ballarat? As it says Annie Phillips which was her maiden name??

kind thoughts Jenn
When you search for ancestors, you find great friends!
I live in Townsville researching
TOWNSEND,PINNEGAR, STRANGE, PULLEN, GRIFFIN from Wiltshire,,
SHOEBRIDGE, VINALL, BRINDLE, Kent
BAYLEY, Dorset,Yorkshire,
HAIR, Durham,
CUMMINS, BROWNLESS from Yorkshire,
EDSALL,  Cornwall,
MORGAN, HENNESSY, BAKER,  Ireland.
VAN REYK Sri Lanka
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.au

Offline krisesjoint

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Its my Party - I can eat cake
    • View Profile
Re: Searching for relatives of Annie PHILLIPS
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 10 June 09 23:50 BST (UK) »
Hi,

The immigration lists Miss Annie PHILLIPS single aged 23 Domestic last address in UK 1 Edward Burdis St Southwick Sunderland departed London 17 Apr 1828 for Sydney.

Cheers Kris  :)
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Toria

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 11 June 09 13:10 BST (UK) »
Thanks Jenn and Kris for your replies to my plea for info re my paternal grandmother, Annie Phillips.  Her married name was Smith.  I believe she went to Australia under her maiden name as it was probably easier to get work as a single woman.  She actually sent the money for her husband (Alfred) and son (also Alfred) to join her, but her husband must have decided he didn't want to go to Australia and spent the money on a new motorbike.  My father was brought up by his maternal grandmother, Sara Phillips (nee Chalk).  Unfortunately all Annie's nearest relatives are now dead, as is my father.  My biggest regret is not starting my family research before he died, as I'm sure he could have given me more information.  I'm sure there must have been letters written to her family, but having asked her sister's family (who live in Australia), they have found nothing; so I am absolutely stumped!  Would she have needed a passport in order to travel to Australia in 1928?  You would think there would be some official papers required for people going to Australia.  Is there any way of finding out.  It just seems strange that someone could just disappear without a trace.  I know she travelled on the SA Ballarat under her maiden name, but after that the trail stops.  Any further help would be greatly appreciated from anyone.

Regards

Toria

Offline judb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 11 June 09 15:37 BST (UK) »
Hi Toria

I suppose Annie had no second forename??  Also I assume, from what you have said that there was no contact between Annie and her sister who lives in Australia?  Do you think Annie might have lived near her sister?  If Annie's sister is still living you should not post any info which might identify her - however a district or state would be very helpful.  There are lots of Annie Phillips on the electoral rolls, in the marriages and deaths in NSW but no way of knowing if any of them are your Annie.

Oh, and don't many of us wish we'd asked (or listened) more years ago!

Judith
DYER - Wilts, London, Somerset, MIDLANE - Hants, Wilts, SONE - Hants, WRIGHT - London, Hants, SEAGER - Deptford, DWYER, FERGUSON - Victoria, MASON - Woodford Vic, BALLARD - South Wales, GOULDBY - Lowestoft
"Time present and time past are both perhaps present in time future..." T S Eliot

UK Census information Crown Copyrightt, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Toria

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 11 June 09 16:45 BST (UK) »
Hi Judith,
Thanks for your response to my enquiry.  Unfortunately Annie didn't have a middle name.  She went to Australia in 1928 and her sister Doris didn't go until the 1950's.  She tried, unsuccessfully, to try and find her sister when she moved to Australia.  Unfortunately she died a few years ago and so my only contact now is with her son and daughter, who I have asked to try and dig up information for me (to no avail, as yet).

All I know is that Annie was bound for Sydney from London, all those years ago and then appears to have disappeared into thin air.  The only breakthrough I can hope for is that maybe if she had another family that they might be looking for her relatives.  Fingers crossed!!  It's all very frustrating; especially when the other name in your family is 'Smith' - another needle in a haystack job!!

I'll just keep hoping.

Thanks for responding

Toria

Offline tropicalj

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • six grandkids
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 11 June 09 21:47 BST (UK) »
Did your husband's father every remarry?

Do you  know if Annie  had a profession at all? ie  what did she do before she left England?

I am  trolling through  the 1930 Roll  but  there are around 20 Annie Phillips for NSW :o

Jenn
When you search for ancestors, you find great friends!
I live in Townsville researching
TOWNSEND,PINNEGAR, STRANGE, PULLEN, GRIFFIN from Wiltshire,,
SHOEBRIDGE, VINALL, BRINDLE, Kent
BAYLEY, Dorset,Yorkshire,
HAIR, Durham,
CUMMINS, BROWNLESS from Yorkshire,
EDSALL,  Cornwall,
MORGAN, HENNESSY, BAKER,  Ireland.
VAN REYK Sri Lanka
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.au

Offline Toria

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 12 June 09 19:26 BST (UK) »
Hi Jenn,

I only know that Annie was listed as a domestic on the ship's passsenger list.  Unfortunately,I don't think she had a profession and it seems that a lot of women put themselves down as domestics, so probably not a lot of help.

Thanks for your effort on my behalf.

Regards

Toria

Offline regross

• RIP 16th November 2012
  • Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • paper doll fashionista
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 13 June 09 07:05 BST (UK) »
Toria, 

a useful site is
http://www.bdm.nsw.gov.au/familyHistory/search.htm

There are several deaths for Annies with parents David and Sarah (% all without out other names)

Can't find a marriage to any of them that might coincide however there are four marriages for Annie Phillips and eight for Annie Smith from 1928-1958.

Without a location etc it is probably going to be difficult to find her.

I have also looked at Victorian records without any degree of success.

regards

Robyn

The following families and their Australian decendents:
Abbott, Barnard, Clarke, Inward, Lanfear, Rutter,Spencer:Middlesex
Greenaway:Cornwall
Edney, Godwin/Goodwin, Gullett:Hampshire;
Gullett:Devon
Emms:39th Regiment of Foot 1810-1832
Gordon:Scotland
Arnold, Morton:Ireland
Davies:Wales
Olcorn:Cumberland