Author Topic: Armstrong / Blakely of Fermanagh, Ireland  (Read 17536 times)

Offline KMurray

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Armstrong / Blakely of Fermanagh, Ireland
« on: Monday 08 June 09 16:25 BST (UK) »
I am new to the site and would love to find some information or connect a few dots about any of the extended family. I will list the information that I have. This information comes from her death certificate.

Katherine Blakeley b. about 1798 in Fermanagh Ireland.  Her father was Thomas (possibly William) but her mother's name is unknown.

Katherine married William Armstrong, also of Fermanagh about 1820 and he died in Ireland before 1859. We believe his father's name was also William.

Katherine went to Australia in 1859 with her two sons and died in 1868 in NSW. I only know of her sons going to Australia, but perhaps some of her daughters did as well. There was talk of an "Aunt Tessie" but we are not sure which daughter that was.

The children of Katherine Blakeley and William Armstrong are Isabella b. 1820, Mary b. 1822, Catherine b.1825, William b. 1834, and Thomas b. 1836.  They also had one other daughter and one other son that we assume died as infants.

The Blakely's of interest were from Irvinestown and the Armstrong's were from Enniskillen.

I am a descendant of William (born in 1834). We would love to find a connection with information on Katherine's family and William's family in Fermanagh. I would also love to find out more information on their daughters and son Thomas, who I believe lived in the Victoria or the southern area of NSW Australia.

My ancestor William Armstrong married Caroline Carr in NSW in 1868. He died in 1882 and she came to the United States in 1888 with their six children.

Thank you for any direction or information that you can offer.
Armstrong / Blakeley or Bleakley of Fermanagh Ireland to Australia, Carr / Medhurst of Kent England to Australia, Armstrong / Kirk of Northumberland, England to Canada, Murray / Major of Lanark, Scotland

Offline KMurray

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Armstrong / Blakely of Fermanagh, Ireland
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 10 June 09 22:18 BST (UK) »
I am hoping to find more information about the following two lines.

Katherine Blakely born c. 1798 of Irvinestown, father Thomas (possibly William), mother's name is unknown. She went to Australia in 1859 and died in NSW in 1868.

She had married William Armstrong c. 1820 of Enniskillen, father's name believed to be William as well. He died in Ireland in before 1859.

Their children Isabella b. 1820, Mary b. 1822, Catherine b. 1825, William b. 1834, and Thomas b. 1836.  There was also another son and daughter that died as infants.

Both sons went to Australia too, but we are unsure if any of the daughters went as well.

Thank you for your help.

Kathy

Moderator's Note: duplicate topics merged
Armstrong / Blakeley or Bleakley of Fermanagh Ireland to Australia, Carr / Medhurst of Kent England to Australia, Armstrong / Kirk of Northumberland, England to Canada, Murray / Major of Lanark, Scotland

Offline KMurray

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Armstrong / Blakely of Fermanagh, Ireland
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 06 August 09 17:20 BST (UK) »
Here is a little more information that has come to light.

Catherine Blakeley's parent were Thomas and Jane Blakeley (Bleakley).  Her husband William Armstrong died before 1851.

Catherine had a brother Thomas who was married to Margaret.  Their daughter Rebecca Bleakley (born 1835) went to Australia on the Earl Grey in 1851.  Both families seem to be primarily associated with Lowthurston and Derravullen.

Offline kingskerswell

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 06 August 09 18:55 BST (UK) »
Hi,
   You mentioned the ship "Earl Grey". This was the first ship to carry orphan girls from the Irish workhouses to SW Australia in June 1848 under the Earl Grey (Colonial Secretary at the time) scheme to relieve the Irish workhouses of the expense of keeping them during the Great Famine and also to attempt to alleviate the gender imbalance in Australia at that time. Nothing to do with your question, but an interesting thought.

Regards
Stewart, Irwin, Morrison, Haslett, Murrell - Dungiven area Co. Londonderry
Browne, Barrett -Co.Armagh
Neil, Smyth _Co. Antrim

Offline KMurray

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 06 August 09 19:15 BST (UK) »
I have heard of the bounty program to bring women to Australia.  Did the Earl Grey still function as such in 1851? Should I assume that the two female cousins (Isabelle "Jane" Armstrong and Rebecca Bleakley) went of their own accord, or were they "encouraged" as part of that program?

Thank you for the insight.

Kathy

Offline kingskerswell

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 06 August 09 20:30 BST (UK) »
Kathy,
          No, the program was stopped in 1850 because adverse comments in some Australian newspapers whipped up some animosity against these girls. However in the two years that the scheme was in operation some 4200 young Irish girls,(15-17 years old) were shipped to Australia.

Regards
Stewart, Irwin, Morrison, Haslett, Murrell - Dungiven area Co. Londonderry
Browne, Barrett -Co.Armagh
Neil, Smyth _Co. Antrim

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 06 August 09 21:21 BST (UK) »
Information on Earl Grey scheme on this post Ireland- Resources board)-
www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,235139.0.html
And link here in Donegal Resources (under Workhouses)
www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,383512.0.html
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline Soopy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 19 August 09 14:34 BST (UK) »
Hi K Murry
  I haven't looked in here in awhile BUT your post suddenly interested me...First let me ask...Do you have any further info on your William Armstrong? For instance dob? Or Dod? Are you positive he was from Enniskillen?

Let me explain...

My ggg grandparents were:
William Armstrong b 1764 in Dumfries, Scotland. He married Jane Montgomery b 1774 < I believe born on or close to Inishmore Island. Inishmore island is an island located south east of Enniskillen. It is surrounded by the upper Loch Erne. William and Jane had "18" children...of which I have definite info on 8 of them and possible on 3. There are certain names that I do not have but feel SHOULD be included simply because of naming patterns/family etc.

William and Jane lived on Inishmore as did some of their children. Some immigrated to US from 1839-1854 . One moved to co Tyrone by 1856...and my gg grandmother Nicholina Armstrong married Hugh Copeland and lived in Enniskillen. She and her family immigrated to US in 1848 after Hugh's death. Her step children (6 of the 7) went with her to US then on to Australia by 1856.

William and Janes Children were born from 1795 - 1812 < possibly further but last one I have was 1812. There names were:
Hugh ?
Mary
Jardine
John
Nicholina
George
Alexander
Georgina?
Jane
William.......*****
Montgomery

As far as William....I only have a death date which as of yet I need to confirm. It's Nov 10th 1849....very close to the possible date you mention. I have found no other info on him. Family story was perhaps he immigrated BUT if that was the case I have no clue as to why "my cousin in Ireland" would have gotten his death date. Do you see why your info interests me?

Another thing....certain names were passed thru families. Two names of those 18 children that I think are missing are James < this was Jane's father's name AND Isabella/Isobel. The reason WHY I believe there WAS an Isabella is because that was one of William's sister's names and the name has appeared down the line of a few of the children listed above!!! I notice YOU have an Isabella !

As I said earlier I have no definite info....BUT your post has me very intrigued. I  just thought I would post....and if you come across any new info that might connect to anything I said ,..please keep me in mind. "IF" it connected I do have A LOT of info on this family and some of the descendents and am in contact with descendents of 2 of the above brothers and 1 sister. I will check further into where the death date came for "my" William.

Sue in NY

Armstrong- Innishmore,Co Fermanagh;Omagh Co Tyrone; Dumfrieshire,
 Scotland; New York, US.
Jardine- Dumfrieshire,Scotland.
Buchanan- Omagh Co Tyrone; NY US.
Copeland- Lisbellaw &Enniskillen,Co Fermanagh;Co Monaghan; NY,US: Melborne, Austr.
Henderson- Lisbellaw, Kesh Hill, Co Fermanagh; Co Monaghan.
Montgomery- Innishmore, Co Fermanagh.
Edmonds-England; NY US.
Newland-England; NY US.
Kingsley- Troy & NYC, NY.
Moroney/Maroney-Galway,Ire;NY,US
Russell-Foxfort,Tipperary,Ire ;NY,US
Darcy-I

Offline KMurray

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 21 August 09 15:17 BST (UK) »
Thank you for the insights and possible connection.  I haven't checked in for awhile, so I am sorry if this was left hanging.  I am hopeful of finding more information now in
Australia that might point a little more to their ancestors. I will share this with my sister and as things come together I will most definitely let you know what I have found and if there hope.  There are very vague things that have come down about the family and we are still in the connect the dot mode.

Kathy