Author Topic: Master Decorator  (Read 1643 times)

Offline Kate Riley

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Master Decorator
« on: Thursday 24 February 05 18:14 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

I have someone who is listed as being, variously "painter", "house painter",  "landscape painter",  and "master decorator and painter".  What did a master decorator do? I get the impression from these occupations that he painted the interiors of houses, possibly things like borders, murals etc.  Is that likely?

He is in the 1861 census as employing two men in Newton-on-Ayr.   In the 1860s he seems to have split his time between Glasgow and Dundonald, Ayr.   Later, he worked in Glasgow and at least by the end of his life had a company, "Joseph Sharp and Son."

Offline suey

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • The light is on but there's no-one at home!
    • View Profile
Re: Master Decorator
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 24 February 05 20:44 GMT (UK) »

Hi Kate - In descending order...

MASTER
One of three grades of skill recognised by the Guild of Crafts. A skilled workman or one in business on his own.
JOURNEYMAN
A craftsman who had served an apprenticeship and was no longer bound to serve a master. Distinguished on one side from apprentice, on the other from master.
APPRENTICE
A person who was bound to a skilled worker for a specified time to learn a trade.
Suey
All census lookups are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Sussex - Knapp. Nailard. Potten. Coleman. Pomfrey. Carter. Picknell
Greenwich/Woolwich. - Clowting. Davis. Kitts. Ferguson. Lowther. Carvalho. Pressman. Redknap. Argent.
Hertfordshire - Sturgeon. Bird. Rule. Claxton. Taylor. Braggins

Offline Kate Riley

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 25 February 05 04:32 GMT (UK) »
Suey,

Thanks! Were these old designations still in force by the mid-to-late 19th century?  Thus far, I have found no records of Joseph being a journeyman or an apprentice.   In 1861, when he is only 25, he is already employing 2 men- I would take this to mean he was a master at 25.   

Offline suey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 25 February 05 13:18 GMT (UK) »

Yes!  - I'd say your ancestor was probably a pretty astute fellow with a talent for his work.  An apprenticeship was usually for a seven year period, bearing in mind he was probably quite young when he began 25 does not seem so young.
Did he learn the trade from his father or another relative?
I'd say your first port of call for any kind of indentures would be the relevant local County Record Office.
Suey
Greenwich/Woolwich. - Clowting. Davis. Kitts. Ferguson. Lowther. Carvalho. Pressman. Redknap. Argent.

Offline Kate Riley

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 25 February 05 20:04 GMT (UK) »
Suey,

As far as I know he did not learn it from his father or a relative.  His father was a collier and possibly later a grocer.   I wish I knew which County Record Office would be relevant- Ayrshire or Lanarkshire.  He was born in Kilmaurs in 1836 and was in Galston in 1841 census.  In 1851 he would have been 15 and does not seem to be in Ayrshire- so I suspect he's in Glasgow.  I have posted an 1851 census request to the Glasgow and West of Scotland Family History Society but haven't heard back yet. 

Offline suey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 26 February 05 08:56 GMT (UK) »

Hi Kate, try the Scotland General Board on here as well   :D someone may be able to point you in the right direction.
Good luck -
Suey