Author Topic: Metropolitan Police Records Online  (Read 110159 times)

Offline jennyhawk

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Metropolitan Police Records Online
« Reply #216 on: Tuesday 09 October 12 09:55 BST (UK) »
Hi

Thank you I never saw this as not been around as been in hospital for some time

Jenny
Wright essex
Lott essex

Offline Phosphater

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: Tuesday 23 July 13 12:29 BST (UK) »
I am looking for information on a FRANK BRADFORD, there is a picture of him wearing a police uniform and the number is 738.N  Does any one know what the N stands for.
Thanks in advance.

Offline Romilly

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: Tuesday 23 July 13 13:51 BST (UK) »
I am looking for information on a FRANK BRADFORD, there is a picture of him wearing a police uniform and the number is 738.N  Does any one know what the N stands for.
Thanks in advance.

'N' division of the Metroploitan Police was Islington, I think.

If you read through this thread Phosphater, you will find many Links showing you how to trace Police Records. I recently obtained my OH's G/Grandfather's Police Service Record, and wouldn't have known how to do it without Barnaby's invaluable links.

Good Luck,
Romilly.
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Researching:
Wilson, Warren, Dulston, Hooper, Duffin, Petty, Rees, Davies, Williams, Newman, Dyer, Hamilton, Edmeads, Pattenden.

Offline iluleah

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Zeya who has a plastic bag fetish
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: Tuesday 23 July 13 14:14 BST (UK) »
S    74678    PC    Tooby    William    1894-09-24    1889-07-29    MEPO 4/340 [Pg 98]

is all I can get to, I click the link and it goes back to the same page, click on page 98 and it goes back to the same page, so how do you get to images of records........ I would love to know more as William died in July 1894, only 30yrs old and clearly still employed as a Met Policeman having previously served for 8yrs in the Royal Artillery and awarded an Egyptian War Medal "with clasp for Tel-el-Kabir"
Leicestershire:Chamberlain, Dakin, Wilkinson, Moss, Cook, Welland, Dobson, Roper,Palfreman, Squires, Hames, Goddard, Topliss, Twells,Bacon.
Northamps:Sykes, Harris, Rice,Knowles.
Rutland:Clements, Dalby, Osbourne, Durance, Smith,Christian, Royce, Richardson,Oakham, Dewey,Newbold,Cox,Chamberlaine,Brow, Cooper, Bloodworth,Clarke
Durham/Yorks:Woodend, Watson,Parker, Dowser
Suffolk/Norfolk:Groom, Coleman, Kemp, Barnard, Alden,Blomfield,Smith,Howes,Knight,Kett,Fryston
Lincolnshire:Clements, Woodend

Offline Romilly

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #220 on: Tuesday 23 July 13 15:22 BST (UK) »
Hi iluleah,

Pension Records for Metropolitan Police Offers are available to view at The National Archives at Kew in MEPO 21/38. Or you can order copies on-line at:
www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/‎

I've just ordered a copy of those relating to ancestor Frederick Lavington, who served in 'A' Division from 1883 - 1903. The cost is £5.60; which is certainly cheaper than the train fare to Kew for me... (Also very interesting because it gives a personal description, - which shows he was 6' 6 and 3/4 inches tall !

Romilly.

Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Researching:
Wilson, Warren, Dulston, Hooper, Duffin, Petty, Rees, Davies, Williams, Newman, Dyer, Hamilton, Edmeads, Pattenden.

Offline iluleah

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: Tuesday 23 July 13 15:47 BST (UK) »
Thanks Romilly........ presumerably as he died while in service, his wife would have been given a pension ???
Leicestershire:Chamberlain, Dakin, Wilkinson, Moss, Cook, Welland, Dobson, Roper,Palfreman, Squires, Hames, Goddard, Topliss, Twells,Bacon.
Rutland:Clements, Dalby, Osbourne, Durance, Smith,Christian, Royce, Richardson,Oakham, Dewey,Newbold,Cox,Chamberlaine,Brow, Cooper, Bloodworth,Clarke
Suffolk/Norfolk:Groom, Coleman, Kemp, Barnard, Alden,Blomfield,Smith,Howes,Knight,Kett,Fryston

Offline Romilly

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: Tuesday 23 July 13 16:41 BST (UK) »
Hi Again,

Have you ascertained the dates of his Service?

Pension would depend on the length of Service. You need to find his Pension Number, which I did by following Barnaby's Links. (You have to look through several of them). You can then order pension details, as I have. For info, I will try and post the first page here, - I think there are five pages in total.

HTH, Romilly.
Researching:

Offline iluleah

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #223 on: Tuesday 23 July 13 16:56 BST (UK) »
S    74678    PC    Tooby    William    1894-09-24    1889-07-29    MEPO 4/340 [Pg 98]

Offline Romilly

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #224 on: Tuesday 23 July 13 18:40 BST (UK) »
S    74678    PC    Tooby    William    1894-09-24    1889-07-29    MEPO 4/340 [Pg 98]

You can order his records from the National Archives Site then.

Romilly.
Researching: