Author Topic: Munro/Calder family Kilmorack early 19th century  (Read 3584 times)

Offline nickgc

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • GGF J. James McLellan 1864-1908
    • View Profile
Munro/Calder family Kilmorack early 19th century
« on: Saturday 13 June 09 04:16 BST (UK) »
Hello,

Finally obtained some possible information about a direct line Scotland to Nova Scotia, but there is some conflicting info.

An internet website says "Hugh and his wife Margaret came to Nova Scotia between 1811 and 1818.  They were from the small town of Sawmill which is north of Cromarty Firth in Northern Scotland.  They brought a daughter Catherine b.1809 and a son John b. 1811. "

First problem:  "Sawmill" doesn't sound like a Scottish place name.  Plus, where I found likely family is near, but certainly not "North of Cromarty Firth".

Second problem:  I found the likely marriage of Hugh Munro and Margaret Calder in Kilmorack (6 Feb 1807) in IGI, plus christenings of 4 kids between 1807 and 1815 that fit well with the names of descendants found in Nova Scotia.  BUT I don't find my own direct who was Catherine Munro, b. 1809.

Here are the christenings:

26 May 1807 Simon Munro christened
15 June 1811 unnamed child chris.
26 Mar 1813 John chris.
15 June 1815 Janet chris.

Note that John's christening date conflicts with the quote above (1813 v. 1811).  Also interesting that xenings took place on same date 1807 & 1813 and 1811 & 1815.  Will have to plug into perpetual calendar to find what days these were.

Can anyone find Catherine?

Would somehow obtaining the Hugh-Margaret 1807 marriage original PR entry likely give me additional info?

Anything could be helpful.

Thanks.

Nick
McLellan - Inverness
Greer - Renfrewshire
Manson - Aberdeen & Orkney
Simpson - Hereford, Devon, etc.
Flett - Orkney
Chisholm - Scotland
Wishart - Orkney
Shand - Aberdeen
Pirie - Aberdeen

-----
Theology is never any help; it is searching in a dark cellar at midnight for a black cat that isn't there.   -Robert Heinlein