Author Topic: Thompson / Thomlinson  (Read 913 times)

Offline Welsh Girl

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Thompson / Thomlinson
« on: Saturday 13 June 09 07:53 BST (UK) »
Thanks to the previous help I've had, I applied for the JONES / THOMLINSON MC ... had this yesterday!!

There is definately something odd going on with the Thompson/Thomlinson/TOMSON surname.

The MC for all intents and purposes looks good, apart from Mary Ann's surname - Thomlinson.  Her Sister, my GG Grandmother, signed her surname as THOMPSON on the children's Birth Certificates.  However, Mary Ann was living in Nantyglo at the time (1881) and married just after the 1881 census return (In June).  The Father is correctly shown as WILLIAM , and he was a collier.  Coincidence - all of it?  I realise that the Christian names and occupations are very common .... other than that it fits in.

I also applied for the Mary Ann Jones / Thomas Smith MC - but had a reply to say this is not correct - they are both on the same page, just not marrying each other!!

I am waiting for the BC for Louisa Thomlinson to confirm who the Mother is/when born etc.  I half expect it to be Mary Ann's child (illigitimate).  Mary Anne was only 18 when she got married too .....

Any suggestions for confirming this 100%?  This may be the reason why I had a MC for my GG GM showing her as Eliza Thomlinson to a Daniel Davies (my GG GF) .. now there's too much of a coincidence surely??  (both the Fathers occupations/names were correct on there too)

AAARRGGHHH!!!!!!

Homer, Smith : Kington, & Tirphil
Davies : Carmarthen & Tirphil
Greenway : Cornwall, Bristol & South Wales
Nicklen : Exeter
Squire & Stone : Cadleigh & Exeter
Vigers : Exmouth
Smith : Corsham
Webber, Salter : Morchard Bishop
Evans, Balsom, Farrent, Salter, Shallis, Snell : Otterton & Heavitree
Thompson, Smith, Leek : Brynmawr & Monmouth
Davies :  Merthyr & Neath