Author Topic: John and Nelly Scanlon father & daughter  (Read 5151 times)

Offline julie100

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
John and Nelly Scanlon father & daughter
« on: Saturday 13 June 09 12:57 BST (UK) »
Hi Everone.

I am looking for my grand mother Nelly Scanlon and great  grand father John Scanlon. Nelly's real name is actually Eileen Teressa Scanlon and she was born in 1897 in Kerry but I don't know where. I have no other information about  her father at all

I would like to know:
 where Nelly was born
Nelly's mother's name
Anything about her father John!
Any other siblings
I have looked at Ancestry etc but its difficult to check things out . I am seriously thinking about going to Kerry myself .

Any help would be much appreciated
Julie

The Sugrues from Boherbee,  Tralee, Ireland
The Scanlons and Mooores from Pontypridd and Treforrest, Wales

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
Re: John and Nelly Scanlon father & daughter
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 13 June 09 13:05 BST (UK) »
Full Civil registration started here in 1864 so there should be a record of Nelly/Eileen's birth. An index to the Irish Registers is available online on a familysearch website : http://pilot.familysearch.org/recordsearch/start.html#c=1408347;p=2;t=searchable

If you find possible matches you can order research cert from the GRO - www.groireland.ie using the Index details

The 1911 Census data for Co. Kerry is available on the National Archives site at : http://census.nationalarchives.ie/ (1901 data is due later this year)

there's one possible match at this link : http://census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1911/Kerry/Currans/Meanus/270265/
Parents John B. Scanlon, and wife Nora with 7 children including Nellie age 14 (so about 1897 )

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline julie100

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 13 June 09 19:11 BST (UK) »
Hi Shane

thank you for your e mail with the possible census match. I'm not sure if she is my grand mother. I don't know how to check this out either. It is certainly possible that she is. You see she was married in 1914, and her father was at the wedding. Do you think a farmer  from rural Ireland would come to his daughters wedding in South Wales. I'm not so sure.

I have no idea what to do next. Do you have any suggestions?
Many thanks again

Julie

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 13 June 09 19:21 BST (UK) »
The age and father certainly fit the details of 'your' Nelly. ..although there could be other potential matches

.. worth checking other Scanlon households on the census to check. I basically checked Households with a John Scanlon old enough to have been a father in 1897.. and that's the only Nellie/Ellen of around the right age I saw.

do you have John's occupation on her marriage cert ? that would at least include or exclude this family.

are you sure John was actually at the wedding ? ... or was he just listed as father

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline julie100

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 14 June 09 11:17 BST (UK) »
hi Shane

I could be barking up the wrong tree there. John is just stated on the marriage certificate. He may not have attended the wedding like you say. I have another theory to run by you. Here goes......

1911 Kerry census. Nellie and John Scanlon listed  could be the right people.
Nellie is sent away after the census to work in Pontypridd South Wales. So far, so good.
1911 Glamorgan census Nellie Scanlon listed as living with Ann Harrington a widow. Nellie is stated as being from Kerry.  It may be the same Nellie! This theory would only hold up if the Irish and Welsh censuses were held at different times. Is that possible? Its a bit of a long shot . What do you think?
Julie

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 14 June 09 11:33 BST (UK) »
as far as I know the census was carried out on the same date for all of the UK (which included Ireland at that time) - Sunday 2 April 1911

so if Nellie was already in Wales then it rules out the family I suggested..

Shane
My Surname Interests

Offline julie100

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 15 June 09 22:10 BST (UK) »
Hi Shane

I don't know where she was, to be honest My Nellie could be either of the 2 we have found. Oh dear.
Julie

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 16 June 09 09:58 BST (UK) »
I suspect that the Nellie you found in Wales is more likely to be 'yours' than the one living in Kerry, although it does mean that Nellie left home quite young to go off to work... seems like a long way to go for employment. I know of quite a few marriages of 'country' girls in service in Dublin - I wonder was there some other Wales connection ?

My Wales geography is not great (the only part I really know is between Holyhead and Knutsford services) - how does the location indicated by the 1911 record you found fit with Nelly's marriage and later life ?

I had a look at the Irish Civil Index but have not found anything promising for Nelly/Ellen yet..

Shane
My Surname Interests

Offline julie100

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 16 June 09 22:09 BST (UK) »
Hi Shane

My grandmother was married in Pontypridd in 1914.  If the Nellie on the 1911 is 'mine' she was a long way from home, apparently all on her own. My grandfather was from Kerry as well.Is that a coincidence I wonder? My grandfather was quit a bit older than Nellie,he was in the Irish army and he was away on service in 1911. I don't know its all a puzzle.
Thank you for all help on this. It is very much appreciated
Julie