Author Topic: Francis Dicker ROWE b c1842 - who is this man? - Completed  (Read 4259 times)

Offline Barnford

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
Francis Dicker ROWE b c1842 - who is this man? - Completed
« on: Saturday 13 June 09 13:10 BST (UK) »
In the process of researching my extended Rowe family (in this case Jane Rowe b Q3 1844 Boscastle), I have discovered a marriage between her and a Francis Dicker Rowe 10/12/1863 at Forrabury. The bride's father is named as William Rowe, which fits with what I knew and I have census back-up for her/them in 1851 and 1861.

For the life of me, I can not find Francis Dicker Rowe in any records, even though you would have thought it a relatively straightforward task with such a distinctive name. On the marriage record his age is given as 21 and his occupation is quarryman as is his father Charles. I can not find any record of Francis' birth under Rowe (or Dicker) and I have also tried first name only searches for Camelford, Launceston and Bodmin between 1840 and 1845, again without success.

So, to the census records. I have found a possible sighting in the 1851 census for the family living in Stowford Devon (references available) with a Francis aged 8 born in Saint Teath and parents Charles and Nancy. To add further to the confusion, Charles' age has been mis-indexed as 86 when it should read 56, unless he fathered a child at the age of 83.

I think I may have found the family again in the 1861 census living at Old Hill Launceston but again nothing is straightforward. The family has been recorded as Wrath, not Rowe, (references available) and this could be an error by the compiler, as the family immediately above is called Worth. The members of the family fit the Rowe records with Sarah and Simon being recorded as being born in Devon, as they are in the 1851. Also, Francis is recorded as Francis D, and that is the first time a confirmation of his middle initial has appeared.

So, who is Francis Dicker Rowe - where and when was he born and why are the records conspiring to preserve his anonymity? Just one more twist, his wife is recorded as widowed in the 1871 census, living next door to the post office in Boscastle with two young children - and I have been unable to find her husband's death record.

Any help much appreciated.

Clive
Lincs: Holton, Brewer, Keal, Blood, Pycock. Notts: Holton, Jones, Lawson, Bull, Brownley. Devon: Gayett(e), Hammond, Jewell, Lewarn, Squire. Cornwall: Giddy, Hoskyn, Lewarn(e), Rowe. Salop: Jones, Beddoes, Rowe. Leics: Rimmington. Surrey: Hammond, Luff, Mayhew.
Census Information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Laurina

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Francis Dicker ROWE b c1842 - who is this man?
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 13 June 09 14:14 BST (UK) »
I guess this is the one you found in 1851 - BUT... Nancy would have been 51 when she had Francis and 56 when she had Simon!

I know you said Charles was a quarryman - this one is a stone mason.

1851 Census - HO107/1884/341/11- Stone Dark, Stowford, Devon

Charles Rowe 86, Head, St Thomas, Cornwall - Stone mason
Nancy Rowe 59, Wife, Mary Tavy, Devon
Henry Rowe 16, Son, St Thomas, Cornwall - Stone Mason
James Rowe 14, Son, St Thomas, Cornwall
John Rowe 12, Son,  St Thomas, Cornwall
Francis Rowe 8, Son, St Teath, Cornwall
Sarah Rowe 5, Daug, Lamerton, Devon
Simon Rowe 3, Son, Stowford, Devon
Millicent Doidge 15, Servant, Stowford, Devon

Maybe this birth?
Francis Rowe 4Q 1842  Tavistock  Cornwall  9 472

Laurina
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Barnford

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 13 June 09 14:34 BST (UK) »
There is that problem with the 1851, I agree, but I think it may be that Charles and Nancy were both in their late 30s rather than 50s. This is reinforced by the 1861 (if my assumption is correct) and the 1871, both of which show Nancy born in Marytavy in about 1812/1813, so it could be a case of confusing a 5 with a 3 (or an 8 with a 3). There are some connecting themes which may be circumstantial but the Marytavy birthplace does appear to be fairly consistent, even though mason/quarryman does not - perhaps they were just bigging up their jobs.

I have just had a quick look at the Tavistock registration district and it does not seem to cover any of the areas encountered so far.

Clive
Lincs: Holton, Brewer, Keal, Blood, Pycock. Notts: Holton, Jones, Lawson, Bull, Brownley. Devon: Gayett(e), Hammond, Jewell, Lewarn, Squire. Cornwall: Giddy, Hoskyn, Lewarn(e), Rowe. Salop: Jones, Beddoes, Rowe. Leics: Rimmington. Surrey: Hammond, Luff, Mayhew.

Offline fizzybubble

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 16 June 09 00:42 BST (UK) »
It may be worth looking at Wrath and Wroth again. After all Wroth and Rowe are nor dissimilar if I say them in my broadest Cornish accent. In IGI Wroth and Wroweth turn up.

St Teath 29th June 1841 baptism

Sarah Wrath to Charles and Nancy  father quarryman.

1843 in GRO index the name Francis Wroth is recorded.

Fizzy
Cornwall - Mutton Brown Trevethan Mugford Higham
Yorkshire - Thirlwall

Offline fizzybubble

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 16 June 09 02:17 BST (UK) »
OK carrying on the theme of wroth

GRO

John Newton Wroth    Launceston     1839

Sarah Wrath               Camelford (St Teath)  1841 - birth and death (gave you the baptism above)

Francis Wroth             Camelford (St Teath)   1843

Sarah  Rowe              Tavistock (Lamerton)    1845

Simon  Wroth             Tavistock (Stowford)     1848

Then in the 1881 census we have Charles Henry Wroth born Launceston 1835  (Henry of 1851 census)

It all fits.  Also it would seem how the word Wroth is said to how it is recorded - hence Sarah Rowe and Francis Dicker Rowe.

Fizzy
Cornwall - Mutton Brown Trevethan Mugford Higham
Yorkshire - Thirlwall

Offline krisesjoint

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Its my Party - I can eat cake
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 16 June 09 03:05 BST (UK) »
Good work Fizzy - Just to bring in another name - I think they are the WORTH Family in 1841

Charles WORTH 25 Stone Mason Nancy 25 Charles 6 and John 2 St Teath HO107/152/14 Folio 40 Page 14

James WORTH 4 is in St Thomas Launceston with John WORTH 60 (ag Lab) and Ann 60 HO107/134/12 Folio 5 Page 4 presumably the grandparents

John Elicott WROATH = Jeniford PROUT 30 Oct 1803 Lewanick
John Elicott WROATH widow = Ann DICKER widow of St Thomas  3 Oct 1809 Lewanick

Cheers Kris  :)
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline krisesjoint

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Its my Party - I can eat cake
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 16 June 09 03:47 BST (UK) »
Some further information from the nonconformist register (Launceston Wesleyan Circuit) WROTH/WROATH

WROTH Sarah b 1 Aug 1810 baptised Aug 19 1800 Parents John and Ann WROTH of Launceston

Sarah WROATH was buried 25 Apr 1830 Launceston Wesleyan Chapel. She was aged 22 daughter of John and Ann of St Thomas St Launceston

WROTH Charles baptised 2 Apr 1815 Launceston parents John and Ann WROTH of St Thomas

WROATH Ann b 14 Sep 1817 bap 28 Sep 1817 parents John and Ann WROATH father husbandman of Launceston

WROATH FRANCES baptised 18 Feb 1821 daughter of John and Ann WROATH of Launceston - husbandman

Then there is

WROTH James b 25 Jan 1837 and baptised 12 Feb 1837 son of Charles and Ann WROTH of St Thomas - miner

Cheers Kris  :)
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline maidmarianoops

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • somewhere over the rainbow
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 16 June 09 05:19 BST (UK) »
marriage
Francis Dicker Rowe1863  Camelford Cornwall
RegistrationSpouse's

Mary Ann Burdon1863                 "               "
Francis Dicker Rowe1863             "              "
Jane Rowe1863                           "              "

sylvia
a.c
notts/derbys clark
      "        "      stenson
        "       "    nicholson
       "     "        jarvis
                         castledine
    rhodes

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Barnford

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Francis Dicker ROWE b c1842 - who is this man? - Completed
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 16 June 09 05:29 BST (UK) »
Thanks everyone - that is all now as clear as Cornish stream water. At least I can now see and link the Dicker connection and make sense of the Wroth/Wroath/Rowe evidence.

Thanks again

Clive