Author Topic: EATON or HALBERT  (Read 8091 times)

Offline BillW

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
EATON or HALBERT
« on: Sunday 14 June 09 00:04 BST (UK) »
We have information seeming to involve the family names EATON and HALBERT with Wicklow town, although they may not have come from there.   Seeking any further information.

Bill.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: EATON or HALBERT
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 14 June 09 10:16 BST (UK) »
Would be best if you could give and idea of names and timeframe. Meanwhile, have you checked index to civil registrations to see what registrations with those surnames took place in Wicklow?
http://pilot.familysearch.org/recordsearch/start.html#p=collectionDetails;t=searchable;c=1408347
Also, main LDS site? www.familysearch.org
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline BillW

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 14 June 09 11:51 BST (UK) »
Anne HALBERT was born before 1800, married James Halpin 1814, at Wicklow parish church, according to Jim Rees' book on Captain Robert Charles Halpin. 

EATON Halpin (possibly Eaton Cotter Halpin), born c.1817, was the eldest son of the above couple.  To have chosen such an unusual forename, a reasonable thought is that it may be honouring someone in Anne Halbert's family or James Halpin's mother's family, again taking matters back pre 1800.

I wondered if either of these may have been names of families known in the area, particularly of Wicklow town but of course covering the County.

EATON features in the history of Wicklow parish church.  To quote from its website:  The Tower with its copper cupola was constructed by the Eaton family in 1777. The family crest of a lion carrying a sheaf of straw acts as a weather vane and there is also a lion depicted on the outside of the tower.  The idea of removing the cupola and replacing it with a spire was discussed in the late nineteenth century, but this idea was never carried out. Instead, much needed repair work was carried out with the financial aid of the Halpin family.  (My underlining.) [http://www.wicklow.glendalough.anglican.org/index_files/Page350.htm]

Bill.

Offline J.M. Flannery

• I am sorry but my emails are no longer working
  • RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 13 March 10 17:54 GMT (UK) »
Hi Bill,

"Eaton, Timothy (1834-1907) merchant. Born Clogher, Ballymena, Co Antrim, posthumous son of a farmer. Emigrated to Canada about 1854 and went into partnership with two of his older brothers in general shop at St. Mary's, Ontario. Moved to Toronto in 1868 and opened a dry goods store. By selling at a fixed price and for cash he revolutionised commercial methods and built up one of the largest department stores in North America, supplying everything except alcohol. He was the first 'early closer' and took a personal interest in the welfare of his emplpoyees. Died Totonto, 31st January 1907."

A Directory of Irish Biography, (3rd Ed.) Edited by Henry Boylan (1999) (Dublin) p.120.
 ISBN 0 7171 2945 4 

Julia
Doyle, Malone, Ryan, Wicklow.
Murray of Arklow.
(O)Carroll of Annamoe, & Cornagower, Brittas, Wicklow, & Co Carlow.
Waters, Haughton, Leviston, Goggin. Kavanagh Wicklow.
Lavender and Newman of Ballyhad, Rathdrum.

Offline J.M. Flannery

• I am sorry but my emails are no longer working
  • RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 16 March 10 12:43 GMT (UK) »
Hi Bill,

Wicklow – History and Society. - Interdisciplinary Essays on the History of an Irish County. Editors: Ken Hannigan and William Nolan. Dublin. (1994). ISBN 0 906602 30 0.

Chapter 22. ‘From Grand Jury to County Council: An Overview of Local Administration in Wicklow 1605-1898’ by Brian Donnelly, pp855-893.

High Sheriffs of County Wicklow 1800-1899.
Sheriffs Proper (appointed after the establishment of the county (1606) pp. 882-887.
1731 = Thos. Eaton.
1755 = [Janat] (sic) Eaton, Wicklow
1763 = Henry Brownrigg, Rathdown.
1849 = Robert A Gun Cunningham, Mount Kennedy.
1886 = Capt. Cornwallis Robert D. Gun Cunningham, Mount Kennedy, Newtownmountkennedy.

I Googled Tannat Eaton and got the following book titles:
1 page matching Tannat Eaton in this book   Page 377

The Register of Admissions to Grey’s Inn 1521-1889.   By Joseph Foster, Gray's Inn, Gray's Inn. Chapel.
14 Nov 1747 Tanet Eaton, of the city of Dublin, Esq.,  Page 377
Joseph Foster, Gray's Inn, Gray's Inn. Chapel - Biography & Autobiography - 1889 - 580 pages
Tannat Eaton, of the city of Dublin, Esq. 1747-8. [(nepos) of John W., Esq.,
late Bencher of this Inn, deceased. Jan. 12. ...
Snippet view - About this book - More editions

A Report of the Record Commissioners of the City of Boston, Containing the ....
Thomas Tannat & Helen Bartlett. May 1st, 1742.

Julia

Doyle, Malone, Ryan, Wicklow.
Murray of Arklow.
(O)Carroll of Annamoe, & Cornagower, Brittas, Wicklow, & Co Carlow.
Waters, Haughton, Leviston, Goggin. Kavanagh Wicklow.
Lavender and Newman of Ballyhad, Rathdrum.

Offline Cara2

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 14 December 11 02:42 GMT (UK) »
Anne HALBERT was born before 1800, married James Halpin 1814, at Wicklow parish church, according to Jim Rees' book on Captain Robert Charles Halpin. 

EATON Halpin (possibly Eaton Cotter Halpin), born c.1817, was the eldest son of the above couple.  To have chosen such an unusual forename, a reasonable thought is that it may be honouring someone in Anne Halbert's family or James Halpin's mother's family, again taking matters back pre 1800.

I wondered if either of these may have been names of families known in the area, particularly of Wicklow town but of course covering the County.

EATON features in the history of Wicklow parish church.  To quote from its website:  The Tower with its copper cupola was constructed by the Eaton family in 1777. The family crest of a lion carrying a sheaf of straw acts as a weather vane and there is also a lion depicted on the outside of the tower.  The idea of removing the cupola and replacing it with a spire was discussed in the late nineteenth century, but this idea was never carried out. Instead, much needed repair work was carried out with the financial aid of the Halpin family.  (My underlining.) [http://www.wicklow.glendalough.anglican.org/index_files/Page350.htm]

Bill.

What becomes very interesting here is that the Halpin family so Church of Ireland actually married a Roman Catholic Halbert?

Offline BillW

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 17 December 11 01:52 GMT (UK) »
Dear Cara.  What information do you have on this?  I am away from my FH program for a week or so but from Halpins of Wicklow threads I have dredged up the following:

A James HALBERT married Mary REVELL 30th Aug 1795 in Wicklow Town COI [Parish Register]

Can't just locate it at the moment but I am sure we have the COI baptism of Anne Halbert the following year to these parents.

And see Reply #192 at the same thread  showing Halberts in the COI Vestry Minutes throughout the 1700s, almost certainly the family of Anne Halbert Halpin, but I am always open to correction or persuasion.

Cheerio, Bill

Offline Jack2227

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 19 December 11 21:53 GMT (UK) »
Brian J Cantwell's Memorials of the Dead;

Wicklow COI cemetery;

This steeple was erected by the Eaton family 1777.
Thomas & Martha Eaton & Tennat Eaton, their son, who passed away 30/9/1755
--------
Pettigrew & Oulton, Dublin Alamnac 1845
Official Authorities of Counties;
Wicklow; Secretary; Mr George Halbert
---------
Wicklow Prison Register 1846-1851;
Thomas Halbert.
-------
Leets Directory 1814;
Places & Gentlemen seats;
Arklow;Knockanran