Author Topic: Andrew's Cemetery, Bishops Mills, Oxford-on-Rideau, ON  (Read 4053 times)

Offline charlotteCH

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Genealogy's worth chatting about.
    • View Profile
Andrew's Cemetery, Bishops Mills, Oxford-on-Rideau, ON
« on: Sunday 14 June 09 11:33 BST (UK) »
If there's anyone near Andrew's Cemetery, Bishops Mills, Oxford-on-Rideau, ON who could check out several graves & tell me what the MIs are and if there are other family members in the graves etc. Maybe there is a book of MIs? Any pics taken would be very much appreciated.
The graves are: plot 403 Willam J ROBINSON d 1960
                                 "       Bertha Maud ROBINSON nee BIGFORD d. 1963
                              plot 98 Ruth JOYCE d 1880
                                          maybe Thomas JOYCE her husband
                             plot 95  Mary Electra BIGFORD d 1899
                             plot 96 Wm BIGFORD  d 1913

There maybe a plot for Elizabeth JOYCe 1802-1893

If anyone has an death info related to these people it would also be very helpful.
Thank you,
charlotte

Offline Jacquie in Canada

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Canadian, eh!
    • View Profile
Re: Andrew's Cemetery, Bishops Mills, Oxford-on-Rideau, ON
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 14 June 09 21:30 BST (UK) »
Ruth Joice died 28 Mar 1880 in Augusta, Grenville County. She was 48, born in Augusta and the wife of Thomas Joice.

There are quite a few registrations for individuals named Thomas Joyce/Joice although none in Grenville County. When and where was your Thomas born?

Mary J. Bigford died 4 Feb 1899 in Grenville County. She was 37, a farmer's wife and was born in Augusta Township. The person who made the return was William Bigford.

William Bigford died 8 Dec 1913 in Elizabethtown, Leeds County. He was 62 years old, married and born in Bishops Falls, Ontario. His father was Benjamin Bigford and his mother was _____ Berry.

There is a marriage between William Bigford and Barbara Condie which occurred 20 Jun 1900 in Lanark County. William was, 45, born Oxford, a widow and his parents are listed as Benjamin and Marion Bigford.

Elizabeth Joice died 8 Sep 1893 in Brockville, Leeds County. She was 92, a widow and born in England.

Jacquie
Canada: Patterson, Brown, Haidenger/Heidinger, Meyer, Johnston(e), Gorsuch, Kitchin/Kitchen
United States: Patterson, Smith, Brown, Vance, Bower(s), Newberry, Best, Love, Gorsuch
England (Northumberland): Brown, Whitfield, Henderson
Scotland (Glasgow, Edinburgh, Fife, East Lothian): Johnston(e), Bell, Galloway, Campbell, Robertson, Williamson, Thomson, Crawford
Germans from Russia: Haidenger/Heidinger, Meyer, Meach, Lorenz

Offline charlotteCH

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 15 June 09 04:43 BST (UK) »
Jacquie, Thank you- that is great info.

In answer to your question:Thomas Joyce was born 1833 in Somerset England in either Frome of Nunney.
 He emigrated  to ON c 1856 with his mother Elizabeth b 1892 Nunney Somersetand most of his siblings.  Eliz's  the one you found who died in Brockville aged 92. I haven't been able to find the eaxct year of the Joyce family's entry to Canada but it was before 1861.

The surname CONDIE of  Wm Bigford's second wife  Barbara is a new  and thank you for that.
William's  mother- the christian name that was illegible- is Miriah... Miriah Berry b 1823 Ireland and died Jan 1899.

Thanks again,
charlotte

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Canadian, eh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 15 June 09 05:00 BST (UK) »
I see from the 1861 census* for Augusta Twp., Grenville County that Thomas Joice was a shoemaker. I found the following death in Frontenac County that matches:

Thomas Joice, 58, shoemaker, born England, died 7 Mar 1890 in Portsmouth, Frontenac County. The cause of death is listed as epilepsy. The informant was J.M. Forster, MD who was a physcian at the Ayslum for the Insane.

The only Thomas Joyce born about 1833 that I could find was a farmer, born in Ireland and had a mother named Margaret.

Jacquie

*My gosh, they were blunt on the census in those days. On that census it says that Thomas was a shoemaker, Ruth Emelia was "wife" and Thomas' poor mother, Elizabeth is listed as "old lady" at the ripe old age of 58.
Canada: Patterson, Brown, Haidenger/Heidinger, Meyer, Johnston(e), Gorsuch, Kitchin/Kitchen
United States: Patterson, Smith, Brown, Vance, Bower(s), Newberry, Best, Love, Gorsuch
Scotland (Glasgow, Edinburgh, Fife, East Lothian): Johnston(e), Bell, Galloway, Campbell, Robertson, Williamson, Thomson, Crawford

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Canadian, eh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 15 June 09 05:15 BST (UK) »
I meant to include the full transcription of the marriage in my other post:

William Bigford, 45, farmer, born Oxford, son of Benjamin and Marion Bigford married Barbara Condie, 35, born Port Elmsley, daughter of Alexander and Jane Condie on 20 Jun 1900 in Smith Falls, Lanark County.

Edited to add:
William and Barbara are on the 1901 and 1911 census together. On the 1901 census they are in Oxford, Leeds and Grenville District and in 1911 they are in Elizabethtown, Brockville District. You can search those census for free at this website - http://automatedgenealogy.com/index.html and the LDS Labs site has transcripts but no images of the 1851 through 1871 census - http://search.labs.familysearch.org/ and Library and Archives Canada has searchable by name databases with images of the 1881 and 1891 census at their website - http://www.collectionscanada.gc.ca/databases/census-1881/index-e.html and http://www.collectionscanada.gc.ca/databases/census-1891/index-e.html

Jacquie

Offline charlotteCH

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 15 June 09 05:29 BST (UK) »
Jacquie, Thank you for those two nuggets- I've searched high n low for Thomas Joyce's death without success.  I'll have anothet look at OCFA and see if his death is there in Frontenac CO.

What conclusion do you draw from the medico on the death cert being physician at the Asylum?  Was Thomas Joyce an inmate and was epilepsy a euphysism for mad?

I think it was 1871  census that has him as " shoemaker" in Augusta TWP with his uncle John HUMPHRIES living in the same house.

Thomas JOYCE is in 1841/51 census for Somerset England- he was born in Frome or Nunney- a nearby village-where the Joyces lived.

Thank you so much for that wonderful side comment about "wife" and "old lady"... the enumeraotor must have been very young! Don't know what he'd say about me ;D

charlotte

Offline charlotteCH

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 15 June 09 05:33 BST (UK) »
Jacquie, Thank you also for the full transcription of the Bigfords...

Thanks for the links also- I'm not well versed in canadian gen. so appreciate the leads.
The 1911 shoudl show if the second marriage produced any kids.

Thanks again :D
charlotte

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Canadian, eh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 15 June 09 05:56 BST (UK) »
It wouldn't be an euphemism. If he had been insane they would have listed that on the registration. In those days people who had epilepsy would have been "treated" at asylums not only in Canada but also in the US and UK.

Here's the entry from the 1861 census for Augusta, Grenville, Ontario:

Thomas Joice, 27, shoe maker, born England
Ruth Emelia Joice, 28, wife, born Upper Canada
Henry Clutherbuck, 15, apprentice shoe maker, born Upper Canada
Elizabeth Joice, 58, old lady, born England

Jacquie

Offline charlotteCH

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 15 June 09 06:18 BST (UK) »
Hi Jacquie, So presumably he died, maybe  in a fit,  whilst a patient in the Asylum.   
I've been looking online for a 19th C map  that would show me how close Portsmouth Frontenac Co and Augusta are but no joy as yet. I assume it must have been the nearest place for treatment  to Augusta where they lived.

A question if I may... is Cataraqui near Portsmouth please? OCFA shows one Thomas William Joyce buried in Frontenac Co.  The William bit is new but it just could be my man... depends a bit on the geography . Portsmouth is not in my modern atlas. Pity OCFA entries don't give a clue as to date of burial.

Thanks for the 1861 census entry...

charlotte