Author Topic: Garvey family, Galway  (Read 2906 times)

Offline Lawson

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Garvey family, Galway
« on: Sunday 10 April 05 17:19 BST (UK) »
Hi, I am trying to trace my g.g.grandfather John Garvey who was born in Galway about 1844.  I do not know when he came to England, but I have traced that he married a Sarah Cannon in the March quarter of 1869 in Oldham, Lancashire.

I believe Sarah was also born in Ireland, but I cannot find out when she came to England.

Hoping to hear from someone, and thanks in advance.

Lawson. ???

Offline Lawson

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Update on 10/4 Posting- Galway
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 05 May 05 20:47 BST (UK) »
Re my Garvey link from Galway.  I have found out
that Johns dad was called Patrick and that John had a sister called Ann.  I know its not much info
to go on, but hope someone can help.

Regards,  Josie

Offline Christopher

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • 1939 - 2009
    • View Profile
Re: Garvey family, Galway
« Reply #2 on: Friday 14 March 08 19:07 GMT (UK) »
Hello Lawson,

Sarah may also have been born in Galway. I looked for Cannon on Griffith's Valuation extracts for Galway. The Valuations took place in the county in 1855. There are a fair number of Cannon families listed. Have a look at them on John Hayes failteromhat.com website.

There are three items you require when searching for Irish ancestors.

1. Denomination.
2. Parish
3. Townland.

You'll have to rely on Church records as civil registration in Ireland was not introduced until 1864. Non Catholic marriages were registered from 1845 onwards. When registration for BDMS started in 1864 some people didn't bother with the registration for a few years after that date. Keep your fingers crossed that church records still exist.

Christopher

Offline Lawson

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 22 March 08 17:50 GMT (UK) »
Hi Christopher, sorry for taking ages to thank you for your email, we have recently retired to Spain and that doesn't help with my reasearch......also I haven't had use of my pc for months.

My problem with the Garveys and Cannons is that I am not sure just where about in Ireland they came from.  Garveys did come from Galway, I feel sure about that, but I cannot find any record of Sarah Cannon on the Oldham, Lancs census at the same time as the Garveys are showing.  I was sure my mother had told me when I was a child her great gran had come from Co Cork.  I'm pretty certain they were Catholics but what parish or area is a mystery.

I should've done all this when I was much younger and mum still alive.......will keep plodding something may turn up some time.

Many thanks for your reply.  Regards Josie

Offline Christopher

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • 1939 - 2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 22 March 08 18:09 GMT (UK) »
Hello Josie,

Irish Ancestors Surname Search shows that both Cannon and Garvey households were recorded in the same parish in the Primary Valuation property survey of 1848-64.

Antrim, Armagh, Belfast city, Cavan, Clare, Donegal, Dublin, Dublin city, Galway, Kilkenny, Leitrim, Limerick city, Louth, Mayo, Offaly, Roscommon and Sligo. 

Christopher

Offline Lawson

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 24 March 08 17:50 GMT (UK) »
Many thanks for your reply Christopher, I will see what I can sort out (if anything!!!).

I know that John Garvey was on the Oldham, Lancs 1861 census living with his widowed mother and sisters and a brother.  Still in Oldham by the 1871 census but has married Sarah Cannon by then.

Regards,

Josie