Author Topic: Unusual causes of death  (Read 40814 times)

Offline Nick29

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Unusual causes of death
« Reply #90 on: Monday 27 August 12 22:47 BST (UK) »
It wasn't just watches.  Radio dials and other equipment in aircraft were also painted with luminous paint.
RIP 1949-10th January 2013

Best Wishes,  Nick.

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Viktoria

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: Tuesday 28 August 12 00:29 BST (UK) »
T hat`s a bit like the cause of Bisinosis, caused by inhaling cotton fibres when mill girls"kissed the shuttle"ie, sucked the thread through the small hole at one end  of the shuttle when joining a thread when a shuttle had run out. Of course cotton fibres were always circulating in the air in spinning mills anyway, no air filtration systems then .
As late as the 1950`s I can remember mill girls in Manchester walking home covered in cotton wool- like fluff. In their hair and all over their clothes.
 Could people die from phosy jaw?  The Bryant and May match workers protested didn`t they?
  I wonder why the phosphorus settled in the jaw .
                                                                                 Viktoria.

Offline syljun

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: Saturday 01 September 12 12:27 BST (UK) »
I have an "Accidentally suffocated" - 31st Dec. 1907.

Inquest held but was unable to obtain report. The mind boggles but perhaps the date says something.

Drunk maybe or something more sinister.

Offline giraffe

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: Wednesday 05 September 12 16:41 BST (UK) »
My gt x 3 died in 1851 aged 59 from gangrene in the leg, according to the death certificate. He was a miner, but I have no further details.
giraffe
PRICE Edward (c.1860)  Harry PRICE (1891) Frank PRICE (c.1897), Arthur PRICE (1884). Compton, Tettenhall, Wolverhampton, Staffordshire.
GARFIELD, Edgbaston and Wolverhampton
JOHNSON, Wolverhampton and Bilston
ATKINS, Wolverhamptonand Bilston

Offline Edward Scott

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: Wednesday 05 September 12 18:28 BST (UK) »
Whilst looking at the PR's for Veryan I found 2 burial records that had notes against them presumably written by the Parish Clerk

Firstly - he was very old

Secondly - she drank a lot of gin last night
Scott - Lincolnshire
Jobson - Lincolnshire, Suffolk
Needham - Lincolnshire
Wayet - Lincolnshire

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Gaie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • CenInf Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: Wednesday 05 September 12 18:36 BST (UK) »

Secondly - she drank a lot of gin last night

;D  ;D
Sussex, Burwash/Somerset/South London: PANKHURST/FABLING/GREEN/KING/PARROT/POPE/PEMBROKE
Notts/Leics/London: POLLARD/BELAND/FELLS/MORRISON/MARYSON/CLARKE
Northants: MARRIOT/T
Suffolk: LINGLY/LINGLEY/LINDLY/LINDLEY/ SEAGER /SIGGER/SEGGAR/VINCE
Gloucs: WINDOW Glamorgan: JENKINS Cardiganshire: JONES
Poland: OZIEMKIEWICZ France: LINETTE

Offline TropiConsul

• RootsChat Senior
  • gg-grandfather, founder of Comfort, Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: Wednesday 05 September 12 19:06 BST (UK) »
I find it quite amazing what the newspapers used to print.

The Sandusky Daily Register, 10-Nov-1879, p. 4, col. 4- "Huron Items. The remains of Mr. Geo. Sprague, whose sudden death near Blue Rapids, Kansas, a few weeks ago was mentioned in the Register, were brought to Huron on Saturday last and buried in Scott Cemetery, Mrs. Sprague having gone to Kansas for the purpose. The circumstances of the death of Mr. Sprague were peculiarly sad. He had bought a farm just out of Blue Rapids, erected a house for temporary use, and was intending to remove his family in a few days. Apparently in his usual health he retired one night, another man sleeping with him. His bed-fellow was not at all disturbed during the night, and on awakening the next norning, spoke to Mr. Sprague and receiving no answer supposed he was still asleep, got up and went about his affairs. No one having occasion to go to Mr. Sprague's room, his death was not discovered for two days after. Mrs. Sprague found her husband's affairs properly covered for by an adminstrator, who turned them over to her, and she sold the Kansas property and closed up her husband's business before returning. The deceased had a policy in the Mutual Relief Association of Wellington, and his widow and fatherless children receive the benefaction of about $1,400. "

Campbell, McDonald, Sprague, Dunsmore, Altgelt, Paterson, Gordon, Rennie, Gorrie, Myles, Forbes, Stewart, Robertson,  Scott, McEwan, MacCallum, McLagan, Perth, Dull, Lanark, Airdrie, Campbeltown, Saddell, Kessington, Cochno, Milngavie, Rutherglen, Kilsyth, Dundee, Killin, Ferryport-on-Craig, Kirkintilloch, Ohio, New York, Inverness-shire, Blair Atholl, Mathie

Offline Jean McGurn

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: Saturday 08 September 12 04:32 BST (UK) »
One of my ancestors - a 20 yr old lad - who worked for  the Liverpool Tramways and was part of the gang who erected to electric wires,  was holding the horse and cart during a storm when one of the links (rings)  broke and the cable crashed down hitting him on the head.

He died a couple of hours later in hospital and when the inquest was held, it was adjourned so that the Board of Trade could submit their findings. At the second inquest it was found that the practice of tapping the rings to see if they were ok was to be abandoned. The B of T said all rings had to be checked before galvanising. It appears that the link that broke quite obviously it was faulty and this had been masked by the galvanising.

Reading the inquest reports in the Liverpool Mercury it solved a puzzle I had been given. This was that one of my McGurn ancestors had his name on all the buses as being the General Manager of the omnibus company. In fact it was one of the Owens ancestors because the initial inquest report stated that Chrisptophers uncle "the late Mr E.Owens was Traffic Manager of Liverpool Tramways" so it must have been his name on the side of the trams.

Jean
McGurn, Stables, Harris, Owens, Bellis, Stackhouse, Darwent, Co(o)mbe

Offline Billyblue

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: Saturday 08 September 12 07:06 BST (UK) »
My gt x 3 died in 1851 aged 59 from gangrene in the leg, according to the death certificate. He was a miner, but I have no further details.
giraffe

Giraffe, it could have been from a number of things.
Bearing in mind it was 1851...
He may have been diabetic and didn't know, and any small cut could have let to it, or his diet etc.
Being a miner, he could have sustained an injury which didn't heal (no antibiotics those days) and it turned gangrenous.  It apparently didn't take long.  A cousin of my great grandfather was shot in the leg by his wife's lover (!!) and they had to amputate, and he was dead within a few days from gangrene.  This was in the late 1800s.

Or a wound sustained some other way that got dirt in it, then infection, then gangrene.

Thank goodness it's a rarity these days.

Dawn M
Denys (France); Rossier/Rousseau (Switzerland); Montgomery (Antrim, IRL & North Sydney NSW);  Finn (Co.Carlow, IRL & NSW); Wilson (Leicestershire & NSW); Blue (Sydney NSW); Fisher & Barrago & Harrington(all Tipperary, IRL)