Author Topic: Unusual causes of death  (Read 40819 times)

Offline JonathanC

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Drowned on his honeymoon
« Reply #99 on: Saturday 08 September 12 09:51 BST (UK) »
A Sad Accident.

On Saturday evening of last week Mr. Charles Crust and Miss Alice Hockridge, of East Brainerd, were united in marriage at the residence of the bride's parents, and on Monday they went to Mille Lacs Lake in company with Mr. Hockridge's family for a week's outing. The parties were stopping with Mr. Warren, and on Tuesday evening were enjoying themselves at the lake bathing, Mr. Crust being out some distance ahead of the others. His wife and companions saw him go out of sight under the water, but did not feel alarmed, as the lake was shallow at that point, they supposed. In a moment he came to the surface, but only for a second, and again disappeared. it was then that the truth flashed through their minds, Mr. Crust was drowning before their very eyes. A boat was put into use and the young man's body was found after an hour's search in fifteen feet of water. The accident was the result of cramps which must have taken the young man just as he walked into a deep hole. The body was brought to Brainerd on Wednesday and buried on Thursday, Rev. Treglawney, who but four days previous had performed the marriage ceremony, preaching the funeral sermon.

The case is as sad a one as has been brought to our notice in many days, and the young widow, who we understand was married on her fifteenth birthday, is almost distracted with grief.

The deceased was an employee of the Northern Pacific, and was highly esteemed by all his acquaintances. He was a brother of Edward Crust, his parents residing in England. The funeral services were largely attended, the fire department, of which he was a member turning out in uniform. (Brainerd Dispatch, 07 August 1891, p. 4, c. 5)
CRUST - Kent (Kingsnorth, Mersham)
BEATON - Isle of Mull
GODDEN - Ruckinge, Kent

Offline Preraphaelite

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Unusual causes of death
« Reply #100 on: Thursday 25 October 12 20:38 BST (UK) »
Hello all. I was the originator of this thread and, not having checked in on Rootschat for quite some time, am astonished by the amount of replies....and the many weird and wonderful (and very sad) ways in which people's ancestors have met their maker!

I am particularly surprised, in reading through all the posts, by how many times being "struck by lightning" has been mentioned as the cause of death. I had thought that this was an extremely rare occurrance (I work in an electricity museum, and we are sent details of any present day incidents).

I am also now eyeing my luminous watch with suspicion... :o  Thanks everyone!  :D
Belfast: McQuillan
Londonderry: Holmes
Surrey (Guildford, Camberwell): Turton
Kent: Mulinder
Middlesex (St George): Wilson, Fulcher
Essex: Noakes
Dorset (Canford): Budden, Harvey, White

Offline suey

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • The light is on but there's no-one at home!
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: Thursday 25 October 12 21:07 BST (UK) »

Just to keep the ball rolling...

I have a lad who was killed 'by the accidental discharge of a gun with which his father was assisting him to climb a tree'

Later on his brother died from 'Mortification of the thigh', he was a farmer and I often wonder if the bull gored him.

And from pr's an 89 year old 'agricultural labourer found hanging from a tree' - poor old soul probably had no family and no work and thought it preferable to the workhouse.
All census lookups are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Sussex - Knapp. Nailard. Potten. Coleman. Pomfrey. Carter. Picknell
Greenwich/Woolwich. - Clowting. Davis. Kitts. Ferguson. Lowther. Carvalho. Pressman. Redknap. Argent.
Hertfordshire - Sturgeon. Bird. Rule. Claxton. Taylor. Braggins

Offline rancegal

• RootsChat Member
  • Georgiana Smith, my great-grandmother
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: Thursday 25 October 12 22:11 BST (UK) »

When my mother was a young girl, the family lived next door to an elderly man. He drowned himself in a nearby pond, for fear of having to go to the workhouse (and if you saw it you'd understand why, it's the District Council offices now)
Bridge: GT Catworth, Hunts, and surrounding area
French: Blisworth,  and W. Northants

Offline lancs-lassie

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: Thursday 25 October 12 22:59 BST (UK) »
"Died from wounds in the throat, self inflicted whilst in an unsound state of mind" This awful description of a relatives death was found on  the first Death Cert I had ordered  :o This poor chap could not get over the death of his toddler son, he appeared to have suffered awful depression and died in the Lancaster lunatic asylum. It was a very revealing early start to my family research.....
Lancs-lassie
Wormwell, Whitaker, Lancashire
Ellis, Flintshire
Stephens, Kent
Sherred, Devon/Kent

Offline seaweed

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I'll see you one day in Fiddlers Green.
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: Friday 26 October 12 00:02 BST (UK) »
From an official ships logbook entry  which recorded the death of a merchant seaman as suicide.
The narrative read "Stabbed himself to death with 42 knife wounds and then placed the daggers across his chest. He seemed depressed having heard of his fathers death"
If you were attempting suicide on a ship what would you do?
 Cause of Death, Suicide, was not an unusual entry in Merchant ships logbooks. An easy answer to arkward questions.
Dim ateb yn well nag ateb anghywir. Nid oes dim yn ddall fel rhai nad ydynt yn dymuno gweld

RIP Roger 10 August 2022

Offline Willow 4873

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • 22nd July 2013
    • View Profile
« Reply #105 on: Friday 26 October 12 15:03 BST (UK) »
From an official ships logbook entry  which recorded the death of a merchant seaman as suicide.
The narrative read "Stabbed himself to death with 42 knife wounds and then placed the daggers across his chest. He seemed depressed having heard of his fathers death"
If you were attempting suicide on a ship what would you do?
 Cause of Death, Suicide, was not an unusual entry in Merchant ships logbooks. An easy answer to arkward questions.

And how many of those 42 wounds were in his back? sounds like someone litrally got away with murder on that ship!

Willow x
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and is for academic and non-commercial research purposes only<br /><br />Researching: Hilton (Wolverhampton & Tamworth) , Simkiss & Mears (Wolverhampton & ?) Bowkett & Nash (Ledbury & Wolverhampton) Knight & Beard (Gloucestershire), Colley (Tibberton) Hoggins (Willenhall) Jones (Bilston), Harris & Bourne (Droitwich) Matthews (Wolverhampton & High Offley) Partridge (Monmouthshire)<br /><br /

Offline Pippakit

• RootsChat Member
  • Mary Jane Brewer with Gwendoline 1897
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: Sunday 28 October 12 11:19 GMT (UK) »
This is from my boyfriend's family, the information was recorded in the church register:

“George Harding, 17, son of Eli and Sarah Harding accidentally killed by his head being jammed between the wheel of a cart, which he was driving, and a gate post.”  Date 1820.

Poor George.

Offline Gone

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: Tuesday 06 November 12 00:30 GMT (UK) »
I have death certs for twin girls who died 4 days apart in 1899 from Marasmus Exhaustion. The second child died on the day her sister was buried.
Not so much unusual as very sad.