Author Topic: Lt Col Andrew McDowall (McDouall) of Logan  (Read 24766 times)

Offline Richard A Pugh

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Lt Col Andrew McDowall (McDouall) of Logan
« Reply #27 on: Sunday 20 December 20 16:09 GMT (UK) »
Just stumbled across this thread when searching for one of my ancesters.

I am a decendent of Mary McDouall (1779 - 1826), Mary was an illegitimate child of Andrew McDouall of Logan. He was reported to be a ladies man as there were other known illegitimate children such as Helen McDouall, born to Peggy Kennedy. She actually took Andrew to court over this and his promise of marriage and she was awarded 3000 pounds.

Some of the McDouall family history including the above is featured in the book 'John McDouall Stuart' by Mona Stuart Webster which was published in 1958. Mary McDouall married William Charles Stuart and they had many children including John McDouall Stuart, one of Australia's most notable explorers. There may be other historical sources relating to John McDoaull Stuart that discuss the McDouall lineage but the one mentioned above seems to be the best I've come across thus far.

Goodluck.

I too have just come across this thread.
I am researching soldiers of the Napoleonic era, around 1807.
I have a Captain Samuel McDouall / McDowall, who married a Miss Elizabeth Ann Tregent/
She was baptised at Easton, Hampshire 4 Jan 1788.
The family were residing at Weeley in Essex in 1807.
The brides father was Abraham James Tregent, and at the time of daughters marriage was a Deputy Barrack Master, it is assumed this was at Weeley Barracks, Essex.  He had been a former Royal Marine.
Samuel and Elizabeth had at least one known child, a son Andrew James McDouall, baptised 14 March 1808, All Saints Church, Dovercourt, Harwich, Essex.
Samuel's military history states that he retired 8th June 1809.
He died 1819 in the West Indies.

I know it is a very long shot, but does this Samuel McDouall fit in with anybody's Family Tree, as I would like to know how and why Samuel ended up in the West Indies.

Regards

Richard

Offline Poppymac

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Lt Col Andrew McDowall (McDouall) of Logan
« Reply #28 on: Friday 19 November 21 20:52 GMT (UK) »
Hi just to let you know I did a quick search on Ancestry.  There is a public tree available to view.  They have Samuel McDonall Captain 79th regiment.  This spelling is a common mistake I've noticed in transcripts.  The rest with regards to wife and in laws is the same as noted in your question above.  One thing it shows a daughter Fanny Ann, but no mention of Samuel's parentage. 
You could try searching for Elizabeth Ann and contact the tree holder direct.  They may know something.
We have a Samuel in our tree but not this one.
Good luck