Author Topic: Old Bottle  (Read 3161 times)

Offline HOWMUCH

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Old Bottle
« on: Monday 15 June 09 20:53 BST (UK) »
Hello ,
Not sure if anyone can help me with identification of an old bottle .
I have found it embedded in the banking of the Derwent reservoir in Derbyshire .
Clear glass bottle , about 7" in height approx 1" opening which I believe may have taken a cork , at the base approx 5" circumference  , a rolled down neck at the top .
On the base are the letters C.B. then another B underneath those two . The number 36 in the centre .
Looking at "identifying bottle websites" I would hazard a guess at it being a medicine bottle , fairly heavy .
Derwent reservoir being the place where Birchinlee was aka "Tin Town" in the early 1900s when the Derwent and Howden dams were constructed so maybe from that village when demolished .
I would be interested to know if the letters on the base could identify a manufacturer.
Many thanks
Eric     

Offline NEILKE

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Old Bottle
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 16 June 09 00:46 BST (UK) »
hi eric if it has a number pressed on the outside of the bottle rather than engraved it was blown on a blowing machine this number represents the mould number so if theres a fault with some off the bottles the afending mould can be changed the mould is the shape of the bottle so when the gob of glass is inflated it will go to the shape of the mould.the mould is hinged so it can be opened and the glass removed.but check the bottom of the bottle to see if there i a little bit of glass stuck on the its hand made. i have no idea were or who made it.
 regards neil
kenny from ireland befre moveing to north shields  flaxen/flexon from cumnor then sunderland robinson from rothbury then north shields urqhart somewhere in scotland then sunderland

Offline NEILKE

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 16 June 09 08:58 BST (UK) »
hi again eric if we can find out if it was machine made or hand blown it could be a bit better to find out a bit more a factory making their botles witth a machine would possible be a large well known factory but if it was hand blown it could have come from any amount of small bottle houses..
regards neil
kenny from ireland befre moveing to north shields  flaxen/flexon from cumnor then sunderland robinson from rothbury then north shields urqhart somewhere in scotland then sunderland

Offline HOWMUCH

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 16 June 09 16:05 BST (UK) »
Hello Neil
Thank you for your replies . I will have another look at the base over weekend.
Would I be right to assume that a hand blown glass bottle would be of an earlier date to one blown on a machine ?
Regards
Eric :)

Offline NEILKE

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 16 June 09 19:33 BST (UK) »
hi eric
 the first blowing machines arived in england round about 1859 i dont think they would have been very good.where hand blown glass has been about for a lot lot longer lol.but today even in the uk theres bottles ect hand blown not just arty type things.the main areas now for hand made industrial glassware is places like mexico poland and india this is because its far cheaper to make wages are far less.
regards neiil

Offline HOWMUCH

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 16 June 09 19:59 BST (UK) »
Hello Neil
Many thanks for that information . Researching some of the "bottle websites" has been very interesting . I know that most will not be valuable but could'nt they tell you alot  ;)
Anyway , I will have another look at it and let you know . Many thanks .
Eric

Offline NEILKE

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 16 June 09 20:12 BST (UK) »
how true eric ive have a set of coins and i was thinking wow im stiting on a gold mine got them priced at a wopping 25pence they may be worth 50p now .my intrest in glass comes from the years i worked at cornings sunderland if you search some of my posts there is a lot ive posted on glassmaking.it would be great if you could put a name to whoever blew your bottle but that would be a big ask.i think finding out the company will be hard enough
regards neil