Author Topic: Pickards of Sileby  (Read 10112 times)

Offline Kfisher79

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Pickards of Sileby
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 29 July 09 20:28 BST (UK) »
Hi fellow Pickard searchers

I descend from william and Mary (Farquhar) Pickard. I do not have any dates for them yet. They are as far as I have gone on the Pickard line. Wondering if anyone knows the parents of William and or Mary. had a son William born about 1805 and died June 24 1888 in Fetterangus, who married Elizabeth Lillie Brown born sept. 5 1805 in Longside and died Mar. 2 1887 in Longside. Her parents were John Brown and Isobel/Isabel Warrender. William and Elizabeth had 10 children including a Robert that I have being born July 18 1839 in Longside. Their son William married Isabella Gray Smith and their son John Brown married Annie Sinclair and their son Leslie McGaughie is my great grandfather who married Jean Lochhead and their son Leslie Gordon is my grandfather who married a Gorrie. If anyone has any old pickard pics or other info it would be greatly appreciated. I can also give more names/dates. You can email me at: e-mail address removed as per rootschat policy - please use the private message facility - global moderatorHappy searching

Offline malc51

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 29 July 09 20:56 BST (UK) »
Hi Anne

Info on Robert Pickard, b:1839 Longside d:1922 Peterhead.  Married to Elizabeth Brown (b:1846) in 1866 Aberdeen.

1881 census - 14 Errol St, Peterhead - Furniture dealer.
1891 census - Marischal St, Peterhead - Coal Merchant and Funiture Warehouse Man.
1901 census - Milend House, Peterhead - Coal Merchant (Empolyer).

Re: William Pickards wife Mary Farquhar and her sister Elizabeth.  My wife has found Mary b:1762 and Elizabeth b:1759 to William Farquhar and Isabel Gall at Stichen.  Could this be them?

Have also traced 2 other children of William and Mary, both born in Sileby.  Mary b:1792 and James b:1801>

We are only about 50 miles from Sileby, Leics.

malc

Offline anne50

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 29 July 09 21:23 BST (UK) »
Hi Malc and K,

Yes Mary was born 1762 in Strichen and had a sister Elizabeth. Elizabeth was married to George Walker, who is on the gravestone of William and Elizabeth in Longside cemetry. I wondered who he was but then mamaged to find out.

My line is from Joseph Pickard. I have pictures at home (am at work just now) that i got sent from a man in Canada of some Pickards.

I too have not been able to find any marraige or death certificates of William and Mary, its very frustrating.

Malc, i stay in Peterhead, so i could go to the local library and look at the census and try and find out where Robert is buried. In the 1901 census, mile-end is mentioned, and i stay in that area, so will look into that. Errol Street and Marischal St are main streets in Peterhead and there is still quite a few old houses there.

I will get back to you, when i find out more
Anne

Offline malc51

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 05 August 09 22:01 BST (UK) »
Hi Anne & K

Anne, can you drop me a line (email) please, I believe k as passed my address on.

I have turned up another Leicester/Aberdeen possible connection.

In 1771 the '17th Leicestershire Regiment on Foot' marched to Scotland where they remained Garrisoned at Aberdeen while being reorganized until 1773.

For info - They were then moved to Ireland until 1775 where they embarked for America to be involved in the war of independence (the Battle of Princetown 1777).

I know the dates are to early for the William who married Mary Farquar (he was listed as a soldier on his son Williams death certificate 1888) but maybe it could tie up with his father?

Just another line of thought?

malc

Offline anne50

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 06 August 09 01:07 BST (UK) »
Hi Malc,

That is something that could will be worth researching. I have'nt got your e-mail addy, but mine is e-mail address removed as per rootschat policy - please use the private message facility - global moderator
Have you tried the Hugh Wallis site? I have been looking at all the Pickards from Leicstershire on there.

The William and Mary one is really puzzling me. Wish i could find a marraige certificate or death certificate, even William (jnr) birth certificate would be a help

Anne