Author Topic: Thomson - Kemp marriage  (Read 1780 times)

Offline Hayleywarthog

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Thomson - Kemp marriage
« on: Monday 15 June 09 23:34 BST (UK) »
My family and I have recently moved to Scotland, and I am trying to look into my husband's Scottish ancestors.

My husband's paternal grandfather was born in Johannesburg, and I have a copy of his birth certificate.  His date of birth was 19th march 1910, and his name was John Thomson.  It says that his father was James Thomson (place of birth Scotland) and his mother was Janet Kemp (place of birth Scotland) and it does state that they were married. 

I tried to search Scotlands People for a marriage between James Thomson and Janet kemp, but came up with nothing.  Perhaps they married in South Africa?  If I just look up James Thomson or Janet Kemp in the births or census from around the late 1800's there are just loads of them and I have no way of knowing which they could be as I don't know the areas they were from or their birth dates.

Any ideas on how I could find out more about them?

Offline jorose

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Thomson - Kemp marriage
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 16 June 09 01:08 BST (UK) »
http://www.national.archives.gov.za/
 - if you search here there are a couple of records (estate files, I think)
One in particularly in 1921 for James Thomson, surviving spouse Janet nee Kemp.

There are some threads over on the South Africa board about these documents.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Hayleywarthog

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Thomson - Kemp marriage
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 16 June 09 16:03 BST (UK) »
Thank you!!  That was so kind of you!   I'm very new to this and not very bright  ::) Could you tell me how you found the estate record for James Thomson in 1921? I just don't know where to look  ???  Sounds like it's the right person!

Offline jorose

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Thomson - Kemp marriage (Move to South Africa board?)
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 16 June 09 17:13 BST (UK) »
On that page, there is a link (on the left hand side), for 'Search National Automated Archival Information Retrieval System'
After that, select "RSA      -   All Archives Repositories and National Registers of non-public records"

Put Thomson in the first box and Kemp in the second, the first hit is probably your James.
There is a board here for "South Africa", the people there will be able to help you more with how to obtain a copy of the records. Maybe a moderator will move the thread over for us.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk