Author Topic: Tracing Sarah Roots of Hadlow  (Read 1028 times)

Offline jibba

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Nothing is true, everything is permitted
    • View Profile
Tracing Sarah Roots of Hadlow
« on: Tuesday 16 June 09 21:24 BST (UK) »
Hi guys. I'm try to trace the last years of my 5th great-grandmother, Sarah Roots (nee Palmer). She was born in 1789 at Rainham, and later married at the same town, John Roots in 1812. John died between 1812 and 1822. In 1821, Sarah became pregnant with my 4th great-grandmother, Mary Roots. I found the following text in the poor records for Hadlow on a CD produced by the KFHS:

Sarah Roots, beggar?, wanderer?, daughter of John and Nancy Palmer, married to John Roots, deceased, with female bastard child bn 26
Feb 1822, from Rainham. 16 Apr 1822

I know what became of Mary, but I know nothing of Sarah's fate. The poor records that the KFHS have transcribed don't have anything extra on Sarah. I did try to find her in the 1841 & 1851 census', but if she is listed there, she is likely to have remarried. Does anyone out there have either the burial records for Hadlow or a more detailed version of Hadlows poor records?

Regards

Lee

Online bearkat

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Tracing Sarah Roots of Hadlow
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 16 June 09 22:22 BST (UK) »
The Mid Kent Marriage Index

http://woodchurchancestry.org.uk/midkentmarriages/

has this marriage

16 June 1822  Sarah Amos ROOTS to Thomas SELVES at Goudhurst

The time frame could be about right but the middle name means you could eliminate this one  ???
Middx - VAUS, ROBERTS, EVERSFIELD, INMAN, STAR, HOLBECK, WYATT, BICKFORD, SMITH, REDWOOD
Hants - SMALL, HAMMERTON, GRIST, FRYER, TRODD, DAGWELL, PARKER, WOODFORD, CROUTEAR, BECK, BENDELL, KEEPING, HARDING, BULL
Kent - BAYLY, BORER, MITCHELL, PLANE, VERNON, FARRANCE, CHAPMAN, MEDHURST, LOMAX, WYATT, IDEN
Devon - TOPE, BICKFORD, FOSTER
YKS - QUIRK, McGUIRE, BENN
Nott/Derbs - SLACK
Herts - BARNES
L'pool- PLUMBE
 All UK census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline jibba

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 16 June 09 22:45 BST (UK) »
Hi

Thanks for pointing this Sarah out, but she is almost certainly not my Sarah. I did try to see if there was a matching Sarah Selves in the 1841 & 1851 census, but had no luck. The search goes every on  :(

Lee

Online bearkat

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 17 June 09 08:16 BST (UK) »
Perhaps Sarah was sent back to Rainham.  Hadlow would not have wanted the burden of supporting Sarah and her child unless she had a right of settlement.

Rainham parish records are on Medway Cityark:

http://www.rootschat.com/links/06ia/
Middx - VAUS, ROBERTS, EVERSFIELD, INMAN, STAR, HOLBECK, WYATT, BICKFORD, SMITH, REDWOOD
Hants - SMALL, HAMMERTON, GRIST, FRYER, TRODD, DAGWELL, PARKER, WOODFORD, CROUTEAR, BECK, BENDELL, KEEPING, HARDING, BULL
Kent - BAYLY, BORER, MITCHELL, PLANE, VERNON, FARRANCE, CHAPMAN, MEDHURST, LOMAX, WYATT, IDEN
Nott/Derbs - SLACK
Herts - BARNES
L'pool- PLUMBE

Offline jibba

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 17 June 09 17:47 BST (UK) »
Thanks for pointing me to that great site. Unfortunately, I couldn't see a Sarah Roots in the burial records between 1822 & 1841. To be fair though, the scans for that register are not great, so she may be one of the individuals in the images that the scanner could not pick up  :(

Lee

Online bearkat

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 17 June 09 17:57 BST (UK) »
If Sarah was a wanderer you are going to have tracking her down. :(
Nott/Derbs - SLACK
Herts - BARNES
L'pool- PLUMBE