Author Topic: Michael Broderick, County Galway  (Read 4750 times)

Offline JBG575

• RootsChat Extra
  • William & Frances McKevitt Broderick, 11/29/1941
    • View Profile
Michael Broderick, County Galway
« on: Tuesday 16 June 09 23:12 BST (UK) »
Hi, new to this so any help would be appreciated  :), according to his death certificate: my ggrandfather Michael Joseph Broderick, b:31, July, 1864 in County Galway, parents: William Broderick and Margaret Clary both of Galway. He arrived in the US in April, 1885, married Elizabeth Horan of Wisconsin, 1890-91. He resided in Chicago, IL for approx. 37 years. This is where I hit the block - I have no information regarding his birth township/parish, etc, or any other information about his parents or if there were any siblings - any information would be greatly appreciated - thanks
Broderick/Reilly
McKevitt/McManus

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
Re: Michael Broderick, County Galway
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 17 June 09 08:33 BST (UK) »
Civil registration started here in 1864 - so you might find details of Michael's birth. Familysearch have an online index to the registers at : http://pilot.familysearch.org/recordsearch/start.html#p=2;t=searchable;c=1408347

I dont see a good match in at the moment in 1864, the closest being this record in 1865

Birth
 Name: Michael Broderick
 Registration district: Loughrea
 year: 1865
 Volume: 14 /  Page: 386

(There may be other matches with spelling variations..)

you can order research certs from the GRO (www.groireland.ie) using the index details.

The index lists registration districts - these are the districts in, of partially in Co. Galway :

Ballinasloe, Ballinrobe, Clifden, Galway, Glennamaddy, Gort, Loughrea, Mountbellew, Oughterard, Portumna, Roscommon, Scarriff, Tuam

A cert will give you a townland or town which should provide a stating point for further parish searches.

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 17 June 09 09:41 BST (UK) »
I dont see a good match in at the moment in 1864, the closest being this record in 1865
 Birth
 Name: Michael Broderick
 Registration district: Loughrea
 year: 1865
 Volume: 14 /  Page: 386
(There may be other matches with spelling variations..)
This one can be eliminated- according to IGI Michael Broderick born 16 Aug.1865 was a son of Patrick Broderick and Mary Burke (page 386- Ballaun Dirstrict, Galway).

Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 17 June 09 10:06 BST (UK) »
This one can be eliminated- according to IGI Michael Broderick born 16 Aug.1865 was a son of Patrick Broderick and Mary Burke (page 386- Ballaun Dirstrict, Galway).

well spotted..

I had a look at the index on the IFHF website (www.irish-roots.ie  pay-site) and this same Michael Broderick civil birth record is listed, but there are a couple of other matches near to 1864.

there are four Civil births in 1866 & 68 and two Parish baptism listed in 1860. However none of these show a match when I include the fathers name in the search.

The only match I see for a Michael Broderick with father William is a Church Baptism in 1857
the record is from the RC parish of Tynagh

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline ammeneedia

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 17 June 09 23:58 BST (UK) »
http://ifhf.brsgenealogy.com/quis.php?page=0&prevStartQuery=0

This Galway site index records a marriage for William Broderick 1853 and also for a Margaret Cleary in 1853.

Costs €5 to get a copy of either to see if they both relate to the one marriage!
Naughton - Claregalway, Burke/Corlis/Corless/Kemple - Tuam, Fahy/King/Grealish/Jennings/Walsh - Castlegar
Burke/Cunningham/Monaghan - Annaghdown
General: Lackagh/Turloughmore/Castlegar/Claregalway/Annaghown

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 18 June 09 08:25 BST (UK) »
both record details ammeneedia mentioned relate to the same Parish ( Portumna RC) which is beside Tynagh parish mentioned earlier... see the Irish Times parish map :

http://www.irishtimes.com/ancestor/browse/counties/rcmaps/galwayerc.htm

as ammeneedia mentioned there's no guarantee these two people married each other.

Shane
My Surname Interests

Offline JBG575

• RootsChat Extra
  • William & Frances McKevitt Broderick, 11/29/1941
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 18 June 09 21:57 BST (UK) »
thank you so much you guys this is great  :), i will definately check out the site you gave me. I have also gone back through the U.S. census and there definately is a problem with dates, Michael could have been born as early as 1859. I will be getting over to the archives here in Chicago with hopes of finding the naturalization papers. Thanks again, I will repost to let you know how things turn out
Broderick/Reilly
McKevitt/McManus