Author Topic: Lookup - Ellen Rampkin of Stanway  (Read 4918 times)

Offline Ecneps

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Rosalie Mathilda Jönsson 1916-1999
    • View Profile
Re: Lookup - Ellen Rampkin of Stanway
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 17 June 09 15:12 BST (UK) »
1841 census   HO107 Piece 334  Book  12 Folio  5  Page 4
Stanway Essex
RAMPLIN
Thos     40 S. M
Elizh     40
Elizh     18
Tho      17
Jas       16
C          10
Josh       8
Sophia    3
N         9 mo
all born Essex

will look for Frances and Alice in later census (the other grandchildren with Ellen in 1861 census)  to see if they are with their parents

Barbara
`There are two lasting bequests we can give our children -  One is roots - the other is wings`- Hodding Carter

Census and bmd information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Lincs & Yorks - SIVILLS PREDGEN    Norfolk - EBBS WHITEROD ZIPFELL       Sweden - JÖNSSON CRONBERG ANDERSSON      Yorks - SPENCE HIDE HIRD      Durham - DALKIN SELBY RENWICK

Offline Ecneps

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Rosalie Mathilda Jönsson 1916-1999
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 17 June 09 15:20 BST (UK) »
Looks as if Frances and Alice were the unmarried Sophia's daughters, so a strong possibility that Ellen was too?

Marriage registration Sep 1861 Colchester    4a   369
NORDEN    John        RAMPLIN    Sophia

1871 census RG10 Piece 562 Folio 37 Page  26
2 Bow Common Lane, Mile End Old Town, London
NORDEN
John       head m 40 Carman  Essex Colchester
Sophia     wife m 33              Essex Stanway
Frances   dau      17 Fur Sewer   "     "
Alice           "        11 Scholar        "     "

Barbara  :)
`There are two lasting bequests we can give our children -  One is roots - the other is wings`- Hodding Carter

Census and bmd information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Lincs & Yorks - SIVILLS PREDGEN    Norfolk - EBBS WHITEROD ZIPFELL       Sweden - JÖNSSON CRONBERG ANDERSSON      Yorks - SPENCE HIDE HIRD      Durham - DALKIN SELBY RENWICK

Offline dally

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 10 October 09 21:22 BST (UK) »
Re- Ellen Ramplin
Ellen was my great grandmother.
Elsie Laura was my grand mother.
I knew Olive.
I know where they all lived.
Visited John Churchills mothers grave in Crewkern 2 years ago.
If you would like to get back to me I can tell you lots.
Dally

Offline Benzol

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 11 October 09 19:19 BST (UK) »
Hello Dally,

Good to be in contact with a cousin albeit very long distance.

My Great x2 Grandfather Thomas Churchill was the younger  brother of your Great x3 Grandfather Joseph. If you need any help with the Churchills I'm back to about 1760. I also wander far and wide on a number of more recent Churchill lines if your interested!

Anything you have on the descendants of Charles Churchill and Elizabeth (Betsy) nee Lacey would be good. By the way could you let me know when and where Elizabeth was buried; also her date of death would be great. I have her death in the Chard RD October quarter of  1892 age 73. Is that about right? By the bye was there an epitaph on her gravestone?

Anyway thanks for contacting me. Look forward to the next contact.

Benzol

ps Barbara - Thanks once again for all the interest you've shown and the help given
Herts Barnes/Baines Bottom(s) Dawson Odell (Pirton, Sandon)
Somerset Bull Churchill Ferguson Palmer (Crewkerne, Misterton)
Scotland McNaughton Douglas Archer Robertson (Perth)

Offline dally

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 13 October 09 13:32 BST (UK) »
Hi Benzol
Re Ellen Churchill. (Or Ella as my grandmother called her)
Children were.
Charles Lacey. I know a lot about him.
Hector James. Lived in Jersey. Left befor WW2. Applied to go back after war. But after that I have no idea.
Harold John. (Twin of Hector)  Died after few months.
Elsie Laura. My Grandmother. Lived with us from 1952.
Frank Arthur. Died WW1 at Flanders. Age 23.
And last was Olive May. Lived at Halstead. I knew her very well. Had loads of children and died of Parkinsons.
No such place as Cosford. Copford is next village to Stanway and thats where I was brought up.
If you wish to know more let me know.
Oh yes.!
Elizabeth/Betsy Churchill was buried in Crewkern Cemetery on the left just inside the gate. She has a head stone. I took pic's but they are on my old phone. She either died or was put to rest on 17th Dec 1892 age 73.
Regards Dally

Offline Benzol

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 13 October 09 22:59 BST (UK) »
Hello Dally

Thanks for sharing your family with me. To answer your question I'll take as much as you're prepared to offer or until your patience runs out! The date of death/burial of Betsy was good news. Hope to visit Crewkerne again - I was there sometime in the late 1950s and have not returned since - I'll look for Betsy's gravestone.

The best way to eat an elephant is steak-size bits so perhaps you could start in a small way by clearing up the mystery of Ellen. What was her maiden name; where was she born; what was her date of birth and/or baptism; when/where was she married; when/where did she die and/or was buried. Do you know any or perhaps all of this stuff?

I would also value the place and date of death and/or burial of John Churchill, Ella's husband - if you know it.

You don't say whether you are at all interested in the Churchill family. Let me know if you need anything - no hurry!

By the way I identified one Clifford George Churchill a son of the above couple who was born in the summer or 1884 and died about a year latter in 1885. Both events Registered at Halstead Registration District.

Cheers Benzol

Herts Barnes/Baines Bottom(s) Dawson Odell (Pirton, Sandon)
Somerset Bull Churchill Ferguson Palmer (Crewkerne, Misterton)
Scotland McNaughton Douglas Archer Robertson (Perth)

Offline Arquebus

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 25 May 13 21:44 BST (UK) »
I found this thread quite interesting........In the late 70's into the early 80's I did up an old house at London Road, Stanway (It would have been Stane Street years ago).

Almost on the border of Stanway / Copford. (Not Cosford which is in Shropshire)

In the adjoining property there was an old lady who lived on her own in dreadful surroundings.

She talked to herself, talked to her cat, talked to aeroplanes overhead and also fed a rat (or several) that lived under the large cooking range........Her surname was Ramplin (or Ramplen).

I met her son once, but I cannot recall where he lived.....Clacton possibly.

I reckon she would have been about 80 - 90 years old when she died in approximately 1979 -1980.

AL
ENFIELD...Colchester, DEARY & DIX...Norfolk & Oz, SLOLEY / SYMONS...Fremington Devon, BAKER...Deopham Norfolk, BANTACK...Ixworth, ALLISON...Suffolk / ALLISTON / ELLISTON/E...North East Essex, HOW /HOWE...North East Essex, SWALES..York / Middlesboro,METCALFE...York,  WOODS / MOLLETT / GREEN....Norwich, BRATTY...N.Ireland (Derry and Belfast), MORGAN...Bicknor / Coleford Glos. & Middlesboro. FENN / WENDEN / ROOKARD....North East Essex. SNOW...Hampstead & Devon. BULL...Colchester.

Offline dally

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 26 May 13 10:35 BST (UK) »
Hi Arquebus
How interesting. I was told that my grandmother (Elsie Laura) lived in a cottage down a slight dip near the Barnardo's Home. I don't think the person you knew was Ellen Ramplin because she would have been Ellen Churchill. There are several Ramplin's in Stanway that Ellen must have been related to. (i went to school with one) Dally

Offline Arquebus

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Sunday 26 May 13 11:26 BST (UK) »
Well, there is only one dip in the London Road at Stanway, which is just before the border with Copford (where the Swan Pub is)........I lived on the opposite side of the road to the Pub in the dip which also includes the junction with Turkey Cock Lane........

The house I had faced the London Road, whereas her house adjoined behind mine, so hers faced Turkey Cock Lane.

My grandparents (father's side) are buried in Stanway Churchyard and they owned Brewers Cottage in Copford many years ago.

AL

PS....You might even have gone to school with me!!
ENFIELD...Colchester, DEARY & DIX...Norfolk & Oz, SLOLEY / SYMONS...Fremington Devon, BAKER...Deopham Norfolk, BANTACK...Ixworth, ALLISON...Suffolk / ALLISTON / ELLISTON/E...North East Essex, HOW /HOWE...North East Essex, SWALES..York / Middlesboro,METCALFE...York,  WOODS / MOLLETT / GREEN....Norwich, BRATTY...N.Ireland (Derry and Belfast), MORGAN...Bicknor / Coleford Glos. & Middlesboro. FENN / WENDEN / ROOKARD....North East Essex. SNOW...Hampstead & Devon. BULL...Colchester.