Author Topic: Glyn Ceiriog 1911???  (Read 6947 times)

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Glyn Ceiriog 1911???
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 20 June 09 11:53 BST (UK) »
So, it all depends then!

Glyn could be in Llangollen, Merionethshire or Ruabon, Denbighshire or maybe Ruabon, Merionethshire!

It seems like a bit of a mix up to me but then I found many of  mine by accident in Chirk, Shropshire (Oswestry RD)  but I'm missing some! Maybe I should try Chirk, Merionethshire and Chirk, Denbighshire!

What fun.

Thanks for putting up the replies  :)

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline AlexNoodle

• RootsChat Senior
  • The Large Family circa 1906
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 20 June 09 11:59 BST (UK) »
No problem

Didn't want a load of people scratching their heads for hours (or being close to tears like me in utter abject frustration!)

I was so looking forward to Wales becoming available as I have had such a problem with my great granfather Henry/Harry Griffiths - his marriage cert of 1903 gave no father's name and I knew he wasn't from Glyn Ceiriog and there were three possibilities for him in 1901 - went down the two wrong ones and then was just holding off waiting for 1911 to tell me definitively where he was born to see if my third option was the right one! Thankfully it is right so been jumping for joy for a while now! Also was very handy with them living with his mother in law as tells me she had another two children who died that I didn't know about and that Harry had another child who had died - which I also didn't know about -and that they had a little boy staying with them - so not sure if that nurse child stayed with them for a long time as he seems to have married in Glyn Ceiriog too - wouldn't be surprised as Harry and his wife adopted a daughter so they seem like the type to have taken in someone else's child!

All very exciting!

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk<br />Marshall: Leeds/Silkstone/Ashton/Hyde. Griffiths: Llanrhaeder ym Mochnant/Glyn Ceiriog/Ashton. Pilley: Chelmsford/Maldon. Hallas: Ashton/Stalybridge. Large: Tarvin/Manchester/Mossley. McDonald: Ireland/Whitfield/Mossley.

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 20 June 09 12:01 BST (UK) »
Memory dredge up time:

I remember a while ago - maybe 2-3 years - a postal address for the Western Arms, Llanarmon DC  being given as Llanarmon DC, Ruabon.

I then discovered that Ruabon was the postal town for the area.

So it looks as if the census in our area was sometimes based on the Reg Districts and sometimes the Postal Districts!  Maybe, it depended on the enumerator.

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Offline AlexNoodle

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 20 June 09 12:03 BST (UK) »
Yeah - I'm really glad that I checked with The National Archives and that someone there was good enough to take a look for me! Otherwise I may have just given up all hope!
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk<br />Marshall: Leeds/Silkstone/Ashton/Hyde. Griffiths: Llanrhaeder ym Mochnant/Glyn Ceiriog/Ashton. Pilley: Chelmsford/Maldon. Hallas: Ashton/Stalybridge. Large: Tarvin/Manchester/Mossley. McDonald: Ireland/Whitfield/Mossley.

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 20 June 09 12:09 BST (UK) »
Maybe they could find my Great Uncle John Parry then. My mother, told me that he lived with them but he's not there.

He was b. 1878 (I've put in a wide range), The Forge, Pontyblew, Chirk, Denbighshire but as it was borders it could be Shropshire.  I've tried all these variations and none.

He was a coal miner and in 1914-1918  he served in the West Yorks Regiment so I tried Yorkshire and then all Eng & Wales. I've also tried Jack and *rry and *nny etc.

Nada  :(

Gadget

Offline AlexNoodle

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 20 June 09 12:31 BST (UK) »
There is a John Parry born 1879 in Wrexham, Denbighshire (not sure where he is as not looked at the image/transcript) - searched under occupation 'coal'.

There is also a Jago Parry - not seen a birth for a Jago - so perhaps this is a mistranscription of Jack? (I know Jago is a name - but you never know!) - he also comes under Wrexham, Denbighshire. Also searched with occupation 'coal'.

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 20 June 09 13:22 BST (UK) »
Thanks - I think I looked at all the Wrexham ones - I might just try the Jago  ::)

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Saturday 20 June 09 16:17 BST (UK) »
Tried again - nothing  :(

I think he has been either missed off or so badly mistranscribed that I'll never find him  :'(

Gadget

Offline Morganllan

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Sunday 25 April 10 05:06 BST (UK) »
Hello

I'm probably a bit late in this post but just in case.....  :)

I don't have a subscription to 1911 so can't look at the actual transcript, but there is a John Parry born 1876 overseas with the military. I entered born Oswestry as that is nearest town although it's over the border.
There was also another John Edward Parry b1873 in Builth district.

Regarding Jago, I had a Iago and a Ioan in my tree and these were Welsh for James and John. Sometimes Census has Joan instead of Ioan which is confusing when talking about a male ancestor.  ;D  ;D

Best Wishes
Morgan