Author Topic: Address in Berkshire - COMPLETED  (Read 804 times)

Offline ~Rachel~

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Address in Berkshire - COMPLETED
« on: Thursday 18 June 09 13:48 BST (UK) »
Hiya,

Can anyone make out the address?

I'm pretty sure the underneath bit says 'The Green' but not sure about the bit at the top. Second word looks like Chapel but I'm sure it isn't seeing as they were all Ag Labs!  ;D

It's in Beenham in Berkshire.

Thanks in advance  :)
Waite, Marchant, Nash, Goddard, Pocock, Hiles, Switzer, Larondie, Harris, Radford, Monger, Harper, Harris, Sixsmith, Fitzgerald.

Offline suzard

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Address in Berkshire
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 18 June 09 13:54 BST (UK) »
it looks like methodist chapel the Green

Is it from a census?

If so could you give details so we can look for ourselves???

it may be that the address is the green and the house is next door to the methodist Chapel??

Suz
Thornhill, Cresswell, Sisson, Harriman, Cripps, Eyre, Walter, Marson, Battison, Holmes, Bailey, Hardman, Fairhurst Noon-mainly in Derbys/Notts-but also Northampton, Oxford, Leics, Lancs-England
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline ~Rachel~

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Address in Berkshire
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 18 June 09 13:59 BST (UK) »
Ahhhh Suz you might be right, that hadn't even crossed my mind, thanks!

Details are RG11/1298 24 page 13.

If that is the case then it'll really narrow down which house they actually lived in which would be lovely!  :)
Waite, Marchant, Nash, Goddard, Pocock, Hiles, Switzer, Larondie, Harris, Radford, Monger, Harper, Harris, Sixsmith, Fitzgerald.

Offline Ecneps

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Rosalie Mathilda Jönsson 1916-1999
    • View Profile
Re: Address in Berkshire - COMPLETED
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 18 June 09 16:54 BST (UK) »
I looked at the enumeration page but the Chapel wasn't mentioned, but I agree it says Methodist Chapel. 

The line next to the Chapel above the family is empty, so I think Suz is right, and they lived next door to it.  Families above on the page have the address 'The Green', and so do yours and the ones after them.

From this Beenham website click here
"A Methodist Chapel was built in Clay Lane behind Holly Cottage but was superseded by a new Chapel opposite the village green in 1862 at a cost of £150.  It is now an interesting family home"

Barbara  :)
`There are two lasting bequests we can give our children -  One is roots - the other is wings`- Hodding Carter

Census and bmd information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Lincs & Yorks - SIVILLS PREDGEN    Norfolk - EBBS WHITEROD ZIPFELL       Sweden - JÖNSSON CRONBERG ANDERSSON      Yorks - SPENCE HIDE HIRD      Durham - DALKIN SELBY RENWICK

Offline ~Rachel~

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Address in Berkshire - COMPLETED
« Reply #4 on: Friday 19 June 09 09:32 BST (UK) »
Thanks for that Barbara, had a look on the website and found an old pic here

http://www.beenhamonline.org/clubs.htm

with something that looks distinctly chapely.  ;) Who knows if it's the Methodist one or the new one - but if I was going to let my imagination run wild then maybe it's my ancestors playing out the front.  ;D

I actually went to Beenham but it was right when I first began my research, wish I'd left it til now as I know more about what I'd like to see!

Cheers again both of you for the help.