Author Topic: 55th West Lancashire Division  (Read 16184 times)

Offline smity

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: 55th West Lancashire Division
« Reply #27 on: Tuesday 08 September 15 16:57 BST (UK) »
Hi Mark
I'm looking for information concerning Sapper Edward Smith of the 2/1st Field Coy West Lancs RE 55th Division - on another documents I have it notes 422nd Field Ambulance Royal Engineers Service Number 426299
Edward was from St Helens and enlisted on 03/09/1914 I know he landed in France on 15/01/16 - he was killed in action on 07/06/1917 and is buried at Hop Store Cemetery Vlamertinge West Vlaanderen Belgium
Close to the cemetery is the Hop Store building which I believe was an Advance Dressing Station at the time - would the 422nd have had an Ambulance unit there
If he was in the Ambulance unit what would his many activities have been
I've also discovered that the Battle of Messines commenced on 07/06/1917 - was this close to Vlamertinge
Would his Regiment have been in that area and maybe fought in that Battle
Any help would be appreciated
Many Thanks

Offline km1971

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Wednesday 09 September 15 12:59 BST (UK) »
2/1st Field Company West Lancs RE was also known as 422nd Company. So nothing to do with a field ambulance.

Here is the makeup of 55th Division - http://www.1914-1918.net/55div.htm it gives the RAMC attached units:
= 3rd West Lancs Field Ambulance re-joined 16 January 1916 
= 2/1st West Lancs Field Ambulance joined 17 January 1916 
= 2/1st Wessex Field Ambulance joined 16 January 1916 

If you search the CWGC for his cemetery and sort by date of death you will see a number of other casualties at the same time. But 55th Division were not involved in the Battle of Messines. So it looks like normal daily irritation shelling with a few RAMC killed while they went about their business attending the RE casualties. What does the war diary say?

This article tells the story of what happened to the wounded - http://www.1914-1918.net/wounded.htm - the Divisional Field Ambulances provided men manning front line first aid posts and sent them back in stages to the Casualty Clearing Stations which were manned by RAMC assigned to an army.

The cemetery appears to be close to the front line. So it looks as if he died almost straight away.

If you have a home address for him you should look for an archive of his local newspaper. I see the father had to go through the death of three of his sons.

Ken

Offline smity

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Tuesday 29 September 15 17:12 BST (UK) »
Hi Ken
Thank you very much for the information
The links you gave are full of useful information even explaining why his Regimental number was changed.
That was a great tip to check the cemetery by date of death - this gave details of four others who died on the same day - two of which were from the Royal Army Medical Corps, the others being from the West Lancs 422nd Royal Engineers - one of which was killed at Meningate
Maybe Edward was there and assisting the Medical Corps when killed - is it possible to obtain copies of the diary
Many Thanks again 

Offline km1971

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Tuesday 29 September 15 18:29 BST (UK) »
Here is the link to war diaries available online - http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/help-with-your-research/research-guides/british-army-war-diaries-1914-1922/

If you do not find what you are looking for try the Great War Forum. They probably have several hundred times the number of members interested in the 'corps' as opposed to line regiments. You may even find someone who already has the diary. Or, if it is not online, will know if it is available in the National Archives.

Ken

Offline keithjgsmith

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Friday 01 April 22 10:37 BST (UK) »
Hello,
I'm new to all this. Before I registered I noticed Mark Abbot knew a lot about the 55th West Lancs and said he may be able to help with  individuals. I can't see how to contact Mark.

I am trying to find out about my grandfather Joseph Crowley born 1898. I have a postcard addressed to him as
C Q M S J Crowley
55th (WL) Div Signal Co (TA)

which is really my only reference. I know he saw some action as my Nan used to rub Deep Heat into his shrapnel wounds every day before he went to work. His brother Harold also served.

I wonder can any one help?

many thanks
keith