Author Topic: gow  (Read 7312 times)

Offline pearldawn

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: gow
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 15 August 09 04:14 BST (UK) »
thanks KirstyG ,i have had a look in at that site ,very useful and have found some relations from generation ahead of what im looking for. but i have gone back again today to retrace my steps ,see if i have missed anything.  still if any more ideas people lets know,parish records dont tell much.
thanks all :)
Gow, Bain, Cruickshank/Crookshank of elgin moray

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 20 August 09 21:56 BST (UK) »
looking for where i might find the date john gow  married margaret cruickshank details of first child is moray dallas .  born 1775. managed to find children john, margaret, james,william and alexander on the lds website.have looked at libndx system.maybe some suggestions please.

I have a note that I have seen a handwritten suggestion, probably in the manuscript books compiled by Mr Young of Dallas and held in Moray Local Heritage Centre, that the Margaret Cruickshank who married John Gow may have been the daughter of John Cruickshank and Jean Watson, baptised 1 February 1754 in Dallas.

I don't think it helps in this case, but the name Gow is an anglicisation of the Gaelic 'Gobha', meaning 'smith', and it isn't unusual to find the same individual listed with both surnames. So if you mislay a Gow, it's worth checking Smith, and vice versa. I have this particular family listed as 'Smith or Gow' in my Cruickshank file.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline pearldawn

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 21 August 09 03:34 BST (UK) »
thanks for that information Forfarian,
i been wondering if i shouild be looking at elgin not dallas,maybe they moved from elgin to Dallas where the children were born.
.looking at Libinex site and i see robert gow and marget jean  ,further research lds i see they have  a john b dec 1749 ,that would make him 26 when married.but havnt made the connection..robert and jean have john, margaret,william,robert elspet.all similar names in family.
would elspet be named elizabeth today,like is that same name different spelling? i need to have a look at the smith as you have suggested,i am truly at a lost end . thanks for replying .
 :)pearldawn :)

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 21 August 09 08:39 BST (UK) »
i been wondering if i shouild be looking at elgin not dallas,maybe they moved from elgin to Dallas where the children were born.
That's a possibility

.looking at Libinex site and i see robert gow and marget jean  ,further research lds i see they have  a john b dec 1749 ,that would make him 26 when married.but havnt made the connection..robert and jean have john, margaret,william,robert elspet.all similar names in family.
Again, it's possible, but just because these are the only candidates is along way from meaning that they are the right ones. The further back you go, the more likely it is that the piece of information you want is missing from the records.

The names Alexander, James, John, William,  Ann/e, Elizabeth, Isabella, Jane/Jean and Margaret are so common that they are really not much use for establishing family connections.

So you need to get more evidence to link the son of Robert Gow and the husband of Margaret Cruickshank. If recorded, the witnesses to the baptisms of John Gow and Margaret Cruickshank's daughters might be enlightening. The later Dallas registers usually record the witnesses' names but I have not yet looked at any baptisms there in the 1770s or 1780s.

Bear in mind also that neither the LDS nor LIBINDX are primary sources. They are both indexes and absolutely fantastic finding aids, but neither should be taken as definitive - always make sure to check the original records, for two reasons. First, there might be more detail in the original document than is contained in the index entry and second, the person who indexed the original information may have misread or mistranscribed something.

would elspet be named elizabeth today,like is that same name different spelling?
Not exactly. Elspet/h is originally the same as Elizabeth (and so is Isabella) but although I have seen cases of someone using any two of these three names during their lifetime, I have more often seen families with both an Elizabeth and an Elspet/Elsie, and occasionally with an Isabella as well, suggesting that people saw Elspet/h as a different name. It's not safe to assume anything from the name Elspet/h in this case.

(Digression: Betty/Betsy is a common abbreviation or pet name for Elizabeth. It's also used for Beatrix/ce. By a sort of reverse engineering you occasionally get someone referred to as both Beatrix/ce and Elizabeth at different times. That one really threw me the first time I came across it. Then there is also Beth, which sometimes develops into Bathia/Bethia/Bethea, which is used as a separate name .....  See www.whatsinaname.net for more information.)

HTH

Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline pearldawn

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 21 August 09 10:39 BST (UK) »
well i have gone to sp and looked up opr of one of daughters of john gow and margaret cruickshank.(didnt know they showed witnesses on them. now  can anyone tell me what this is ..John Gow in TURACHASTLE and his wife margaret cruickshank have a daughter margaret.born june 13th and c june 15th  . Dallas.
is this TURACHASTLE with a t or a J hard to read.
also has another entry that john gow was a witness to with the same Turachastle mentioned. comments please. thanks

Offline ev

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Drumkilbo
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 21 August 09 10:57 BST (UK) »
hi pearldawn  :)

there is a torchastle by dallas on modern maps

ev
Census information Crown copyright , All Census information from transcriptions - check original records , Familysearch/IGI is a finding tool only - check original records

Offline pearldawn

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 21 August 09 11:15 BST (UK) »
on further looking it appears there are no entries nov 1752- dec1774 on marriages in sp opr, so i just might be out of luck there. ah well there must be something somewhere or is this the last straw.
Ev thanks, looks like torchastle,but has more letters in it,but probaly the same.
thanks all .still looking.
pearldawn

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 21 August 09 15:33 BST (UK) »
didnt know they showed witnesses on them

They don't always!

now  can anyone tell me what this is ..John Gow in TURACHASTLE

Torchastle is a farm just east of the village of Dallas. There's a motte nearby, labelled Torchastle on the Explorer map, and on the other side of the river is Tor Castle, which is  just a scrap of masonry, all that is left of a stronghold of the Comyn or Cumming clan.

So now you know that John Gow and Margaret Cruickshank lived in Torchastle.

It also tells you that John was not the owner; if he had been a land owner it would have read 'John Gow of Torchastle. So he could have been the tenant, or possibly one of the farm employees. To find that out you'd have to track down the relevant estate rental records, if they still exist. Try writing to Dallas Estate Office, Dallas, Forres IV36 2RY.

HTH

Offline pearldawn

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Friday 21 August 09 22:39 BST (UK) »
hey thats a good little bit of information thanks Forfarian, i have also noted on search in opr , what i thought on other papers is Cruickshank on this one it is Cruckshank. so it looks like John Gow could of been a farmer or farm hand.thanks again